Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honda says to change out the brake fluid at 3 years (maybe a bit lengthy of a time interval)

What I am curious about is what else the dealer does then? I saw a post on a locked thread about them doing something to the calipers.

Anybody know exactly what they do?

·
Premium Member
2018 EX-L fwd
752 Posts
More often than not, probably means that they do a physical inspection of your brake pads. Could also be that they lubricate the caliper sliding pins.

Poorly lubricated sliding pins will prevent the pads from moving away from the rotor when you release the brake pedal. If that happens, the pads wear out rather quickly, you may overheat your brake fluid thus losing braking effect, and/or feel a pull on the side where the sticking caliper is.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,798 Posts
X2 to Kazoo2U's comments. :cool:

A brake fluid exchange (flush) is just that, but other maintenance such as lubricating the sliders and checking for pad binding, is often Good Practice (ESPECIALLY in areas with salted roadways). You should expect to pay an additional hours' labor, but it will pay off in long brake pad life.

A 3 year BF replacement interval is fine for a street driven car, to mitigate the effects of moisture absorption. We take our sports cars to the track, and those cars get a yearly flush, where that moisture creates a soft pedal after a few laps. :eek::oops:

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,918 Posts
.... other maintenance such as lubricating the sliders and checking for pad binding, is often Good Practice (ESPECIALLY in areas with salted roadways). You should expect to pay an additional hours' labor, but it will pay off in long brake pad life.
Brakes are not traditionally a problem area with CRVs, but it is reassuring to have them routinely inspected and appropriate parts lubricated.

The dealer I use for service does this as part of their B service, along with inspection and lube of all door, hood, cargo hatch, etc. Means the B service is a bit more costly with them, but I know that my brakes are inspected and pins and sliders all get inspected and lubed on a regular basis.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,026 Posts
Honda says to change out the brake fluid at 3 years (maybe a bit lengthy of a time interval)

What I am curious about is what else the dealer does then? I saw a post on a locked thread about them doing something to the calipers.

Anybody know exactly what they do?
More or less when "You" are at the Service station ask those questions please, report back here and tell All who posted what they told you.

Car no what make or model. maintenance is Key. when we buy cars and you see the words maintenance free 110K, best of luck trying to ride that doing not a single thing to it!

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
1,475 Posts
They are done every 3 years to ensure moisture is out of the system. I had friend whos a tech do mine and oil change right on 3yr mark

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just had the brake fluid flushed at my Honda dealer yesterday on my 2017 V. Nothing else noted on the receipt and when I asked the tech he said the brakes and rotors looked fine (brakes darn well better...I just installed them a couple days prior). It was my first flush on that car which will turn 4 years in June and is at 37K miles. Figured have the dealer do it even though $113 total. I find the manual flush process a pain in the rear, and at least they get the last look at the brakes and all.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V Touring Modern Steel
48 Posts
I had A 1 2 7 showing on my Maintenance Manager. Oil change, Air Filter and Cabin Filter, tire rotation and Brake Fluid replacement. 38000 km . Service advisor asked if I wanted Brake Service, so I said yes as the price of Tire Rotation was deducted from that, then told me that both filters were clean and didn't need replacing, had the Brake Fluid done and had all 3 wipers ( $30 CDN ) replaced, since I was there and had been planning on changing them anyway. And a free car wash to boot.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
More often than not, probably means that they do a physical inspection of your brake pads. Could also be that they lubricate the caliper sliding pins.

Poorly lubricated sliding pins will prevent the pads from moving away from the rotor when you release the brake pedal. If that happens, the pads wear out rather quickly, you may overheat your brake fluid thus losing braking effect, and/or feel a pull on the side where the sticking caliper is.
by physical inspection I assume you mean measure the thickness?

on my sports car, I do that plus look at rotor thickness and measure the runout with a dial indicator

However, in the closed thread one person said something about removing the calipers - that seems odd to me.

·
Premium Member
2018 EX-L fwd
752 Posts
by physical inspection I assume you mean measure the thickness?

on my sports car, I do that plus look at rotor thickness and measure the runout with a dial indicator

However, in the closed thread one person said something about removing the calipers - that seems odd to me.
As for using a runout calculator, would probably find that the dealer won't do that due to time constraints. Rotating the tires is perhaps the easiest way to determine pad thickness - looking through the caliper cut-out. Unless, of course, you are hearing the "chirp-chirp" of the wear indicator. Then, you might be in the replace-the-rotor club.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts