Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to firestone and got a huge quote for brakes. They also said my brake fluid looked old and suggested I changed it. I had the firestone do the brake fluid and I just did the pads myself (centric rotor/pad set from rockauto). While doing them, I noticed I was leaking brake fluid. Likely they filled it to the top with worn pads, and with new pads, the excess fluid leaked out. I noticed I had a leak below the reservoir (expected), and I noticed it dripping in another spot near the middle, center of the car (also brake fluid, (not a/c)).

After changing, the brake pad fells squishy. After a little bit of driving/stopping, it felt better. But still a little mushy.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
It's hard to give a definitive answer without knowing what year and model your car is. But, while changing the pads, you did have to compress the pucks in the calipers, which pushes fluid backwards up into the system. Enough of that could push fluid to overflow from the reservoir, though I've never had it happen. That leak "near the middle" may be an issue. Sounds like you have air in the system and need the brakes bled, so you might as well get new fluid too. If there is a leak they will find it. But I would never go to Firestone. The ones around here are horrible, way worse than dealerships. They will overcharge you, do crappy work, and use cheap parts. Find yourself a reliable, honest local mechanic instead. Most brake shops and big chain shops are rip-off artists.

Reactions: joggernot

·
Registered
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
1,086 Posts
Check the material of the brake pads you used too. Most CR-Vs had ceramic pads as original equipment. If you put in semi-metallic pads, they will feel squishier than ceramic pads would.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts