Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I changed the brake pads on my 08 V yesterday. I noticed when I got done that I had a puddle of what I think is brake fluid coming out from the drivers side front door area. Does anyone know what the cause of this is? what would be leaking in this area? I am pretty sure it is brake fluid because nothing was leaking before. When I got home from work today I noticed I had a little puddle in the garage from the same area? IMG_2112.jpg

The pic is upside down for some reason, not sure how to change that...

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Please describe your method used for replacing the brake pads.

My guess is that what you're seeing is fluid that has been pushed back into the master cylinder when you pushed the pistons back in to make room for the new thickness of the new pads.
Did you look at the master cylinder to see if it was full and/or wet?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
You pushed the brake fluid back into the master cylinder when you pushed the caliper pistons back for the brake pad clearance. The master cylinder ran over and the fluid probably ran down the firewall. Been there and done that. The paint on the firewall will probably bubble and come off.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I read somewhere to take the cap off of the master cylinder when compressing the piston to not put extra pressure on the seal possibly causing it to fail. It did over flow the reservoir but I didn't see it leak down the firewall unless I missed that. I was just worried that I ruptured a line somewhere and that I might run out of fluid while driving. I was glad to notice when I got home from work that the level of fluid in the reservoir has not gone down so that is a good sign at least. I hope you are right and that it is just over flow. What is the best way to prevent that from happening again?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I read somewhere to take the cap off of the master cylinder when compressing the piston to not put extra pressure on the seal possibly causing it to fail. It did over flow the reservoir but I didn't see it leak down the firewall unless I missed that. I was just worried that I ruptured a line somewhere and that I might run out of fluid while driving. I was glad to notice when I got home from work that the level of fluid in the reservoir has not gone down so that is a good sign at least. I hope you are right and that it is just over flow. What is the best way to prevent that from happening again?
They recommend removing some fluid from the master cylinder before you start to allow space for the excess fluid.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts