Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently activated the brake hold and continued driving the car as usual. Whenever I stopped, it would automatically hold the brake. I'm wondering, though, if I'm damaging anything by accelerating and decelerating while the brake hold is on?

·
Registered
264 Posts
One question/concern...
Lets say someone get rear ended while brake hold is on. Will it turnoff by the force of other car??

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you have Brake Hold on for more than 10 minutes; when you stop the car the Parking Brake is automatically engaged. Why Honda did this makes no sense. In my mind Brake Hild while driving does not mean I want Parking Vrake on when stopped.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
One question/concern...
Lets say someone get rear ended while brake hold is on. Will it turnoff by the force of other car??

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
No. The only thing that deactivates it is the gas pedal, time (at which point it's swapped out by the parking brake), or you turning it off.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
If you have Brake Hold on for more than 10 minutes; when you stop the car the Parking Brake is automatically engaged. Why Honda did this makes no sense. In my mind Brake Hild while driving does not mean I want Parking Vrake on when stopped.
You are reading the manual wrong. It says that if you are stopped in one place for more than ten minutes using brake hold, after that point it will switch over to the parking brake. (Most people would just put the car in Park well before that point.)

·
Registered
600 Posts
You are reading the manual wrong. It says that if you are stopped in one place for more than ten minutes using brake hold, after that point it will switch over to the parking brake. (Most people would just put the car in Park well before that point.)
As a former technical manual writer, I'm not really sure what the author is trying to say. I interpret the words a third different way.

I think what it is saying is that if you have Brake Hold on, AND your foot is on the brake for 10 minutes the Brake Hold is Cancelled,

OR

If you engage the parking brake at any time then Brake Hold is cancelled.

In my industry, we have to be much more clear in the intent of the statements, otherwise another Three Mile Island type meltdown could occur. ;).

·
Registered
100 Posts
Here's a big problem I found with this feature- when you stop and the Automatic Brake Hold is On and you take your foot off the brake, your brake lights go out! This is dangerous! And it frustrates drivers behind you - they think you are about to move when your brake lights go out. I've had a few drivers that were behind me shake their heads wondering what I was doing.
Also, If you're stopped like this and a car is coming up fast behind you, they don't know you're stopped and could cause an accident because they can't stop in time. This feature now scares me!

·
Registered
294 Posts
I know I have read that when brake hold is activated the brake lights stay on until brake hold is deactivated, like when you press the accelerator.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I know I have read that when brake hold is activated the brake lights stay on until brake hold is deactivated, like when you press the accelerator.
I had a friend check tonight - I stopped in a parking lot and let my foot off the brake with brake hold on - the brake lights went out. Put my foot back on the brake, brake lights came back on.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I suggest you report that to your Honda dealer on your next service. I back into my driveway. So I just went out, started the car, fastened my seat belt, engaged brake hold and put it in drive. Let it creep forward, applied the brakes. The brake lights went on. Took my foot off the brake, the brake lights remained on. Pressed the accelerator and the brake lights went off as I crept forward.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I suggest you report that to your Honda dealer on your next service. I back into my driveway. So I just went out, started the car, fastened my seat belt, engaged brake hold and put it in drive. Let it creep forward, applied the brakes. The brake lights went on. Took my foot off the brake, the brake lights remained on. Pressed the accelerator and the brake lights went off as I crept forward.
Thanks - you're right! The brakes lights do stay on. I think what happened was the car can creep a little bit if you don't apply enough brake pressure and then come to a stop with brake hold engaged. So the brake lights will not be on until the car completely stops. Now we did the test in sunlight so that might have been a factor or my friend is going blind (Haha!).

·
Registered
540 Posts
Be careful using this feature when parking in tight spaces such as a garage.
We tried it once, when we got home and tried to inch further into the garage we found out that it doesn’t inch, it foots. It lurched forward with enough verve to jump over the 10x4 we use as a parking aid. Thankfully we weren’t closer to it or we would have hit the wall. We haven’t used it since.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Here's a big problem I found with this feature- when you stop and the Automatic Brake Hold is On and you take your foot off the brake, your brake lights go out! This is dangerous! And it frustrates drivers behind you - they think you are about to move when your brake lights go out. I've had a few drivers that were behind me shake their heads wondering what I was doing.
Also, If you're stopped like this and a car is coming up fast behind you, they don't know you're stopped and could cause an accident because they can't stop in time. This feature now scares me!
Wow, serious? Bad design

·
Registered
294 Posts
No, that post was wrong! Brake lights stay on when you are stopped with brake hold on until you press the accelerator. Read above those posts.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Brake Hold : let my stupidity be seen in typing Only here. Lol And Do not be the fool doing this;

Down the road we are going to hear A person put brake hold on. parked the car, and simply left behind the smart key, went for ciggs while filling up for gas.. proceeded back in the car and simply pressed the pedal and took off.

I only posted this as I am positive Gh Honda thought of everything with letting people behind you know you are stopped and a sensor tells the brake to stay on. But I am sure enough try opening your door and I bet the sensor was never added. and you can simply take off.

I wish when we find a better product that gh Honda really thinks these scenerio's out.

I will ask one to try this with the door ajar or just open and see if you can go off . think about that one.

Roadster

1 - 20 of 22 Posts