Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you use car wash with this style of the conveyor make sure Brake Hold is not engaged.

I have accidentally forgot that mine was engaged and upon entering in car wash I have noticed that my car started to " jump" meaning those yellow skid wheels that move the car along the wash process have been sliding under the wheels. Vehicle behind me started to honk and flash their lights as telling me something is wrong with that car approaching me from the rear and my completely stopped. I have checked all in spit seconds and disengaged Brake Hold and those car pulling skid wheels started to move my car again while car at my rear was about 3 feet away. After ordeal I parked outside and approached the driver behind me , apologizing of course, and she said that my rear brake lights were lit and my wheels were not rotating as being locked in still position.

Lesson learned. Make sure that Brake Hold is NOT engaged when going into car wash or you will get Rear ended and what not on the conveyor .

·
Registered
455 Posts
If you use car wash with this style of the conveyor make sure Brake Hold is not engaged.
View attachment 137565

I have accidentally forgot that mine was engaged and upon entering in car wash I have noticed that my car started to " jump" meaning those yellow skid wheels that move the car along the wash process have been sliding under the wheels. Vehicle behind me started to honk and flash their lights as telling me something is wrong with that car approaching me from the rear and my completely stopped. I have checked all in spit seconds and disengaged Brake Hold and those car pulling skid wheels started to move my car again while car at my rear was about 3 feet away. After ordeal I parked outside and approached the driver behind me , apologizing of course, and she said that my rear brake lights were lit and my wheels were not rotating as being locked in still position.

Lesson learned. Make sure that Brake Hold is NOT engaged when going into car wash or you will get Rear ended and what not on the conveyor .
So apparently brake hold works in neutral?

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
So the car wash had no Emergency shut down it should have sensed the slip and the distance. Alamost sounds like that rear window car wash one... glad you reacted correctly. that wins all of us over.

·
Registered
68 Posts
brake hold definitely works in neutral. Unsure why this would be necessary?
Yup, it seems unnecessary.

The only scenario I can imagine: At a Brake-Hold stop you shift to Neutral because you have an extended stop (e.g., railroad crossing) and you want to turn the engine off.

But with the engine off, does the Brake Hold still work? In Neutral? In Drive?

And can you re-start the engine while in Drive? I'm guessing the 2020 can.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Brake hold works in the 2020 models when engine turns off due to start stop. Radio, fan, wipers etc still are running. I would not trust it to work if you physically turn the car off in neutral though, assuming you can even do that.
The car wash issue is real however.with so many vehicles using brake hold this could be a real problem, especially the car washes where the driver leaves the car. Just gave it a little test and brake hold disengages after putting car in park and taking the drivers seatbelt off so not an issue for our cars if leaving the car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
View attachment 137565

I stopped using automated car washes years ago. Not always safe plus I used to fine hairline scratches on the hood and trunk of previous cars I owned. Come to find out it was from the cleaning straps that hang and drag across the car. They can contain sand and grit from pick up trucks that 4-wheel out in the dirt/mud.
I now clean my car at home with the new spray on rinseless wash ‘n wax products. After one year of using those products I have no scratches on my car......and an extremely shiny car!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I always wash my vehicles weekly myself when temperatures are near or above freezing, wax twice yearly but in the cold need to use an automatic wash once every 2 weeks or so. This particular conveyor system has not damaged my TSX after nearly 17 years and it is quite pristine or maybe the wax is just protecting it from scratching.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
brake hold definitely works in neutral. Unsure why this would be necessary?
Um.. not being on level slope comes to mind.

Personally, there are two features I do not use on my Touring in a static setup (ie: always on): 1) Automatic brake hold. 2) Automatic wipers.

The problem with automated features like these, is you tend to forget about them, and they do have a few corner cases where they can cause trouble with car washes topping the list.

The case in this thread exemplifies what can go wrong with auto brake hold.

AND.. in the case of automatic wipers.. I have seen two or three cases over the years of a driver in front of me entering a car wash and as soon as the automatic brushes and water turn on.. there is an immediate battle between the big massive cleaning brushes and the front windshield wipers... and sure enough the front wipers lose every time.

I even had a case of a woman in front of me panic and instead of turning her wipers off.. she decided to back out of the wash instead.. and it took some frantic horn honking on my part as well as backing up myself about 10 feet to avoid a bumper collision. :eek: Luckily there was nobody else behind me at the time.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'm not following. Why would one use brake hold in neutral, especially on a non-level slope?
Isn't the purpose of "brake hold", to allow one to take their foot of the brake until the accelerator is pressed? Wouldn't this realistically be used while the car is in drive, sport or low? Why would one use this feature in neutral? Why not just put the vehicle in park?

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I'm not following. Why would one use brake hold in neutral, especially on a non-level slope?
Isn't the purpose of "brake hold", to allow one to take their foot of the brake until the accelerator is pressed? Wouldn't this realistically be used while the car is in drive, sport or low? Why would one use this feature in neutral? Why not just put the vehicle in park?
Realistically?

OK.. think about it from the perspective of the safety engineering at Honda (in other words trying to cover every conceivable way a driver might use or misuse the vehicle, and putting in appropriate safeguards) in any possible situation. That would, in my view include all possible settings of the transmission, not just your personal assumptions on the matter. ;)

Driver pulls up to a stop on a non level incline, and purposely, or by accident, puts their CRV in neutral, and takes their foot off the brake. Without brake hold on.. what exactly do you think that vehicle will do in that situation? It will begin to roll... and if the driver is not paying attention... all manner of results could take place. Honda safety engineering has apparently determined that if auto brake hold is enabled by the driver.. then it should work even in neutral.

I have explained this twice now. If you don't get it or simply refuse to listen.. then this discussion has no point and we should both move on.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Realistically?

OK.. think about it from the perspective of the safety engineering at Honda (in other words trying to cover every conceivable way a driver might use or misuse the vehicle, and putting in appropriate safeguards) in any possible situation. That would, in my view include all possible settings of the transmission, not just your personal assumptions on the matter. ;)

Driver pulls up to a stop on a non level incline, and purposely, or by accident, puts their CRV in neutral, and takes their foot off the brake. Without brake hold on.. what exactly do you think that vehicle will do in that situation? It will begin to roll... and if the driver is not paying attention... all manner of results could take place. Honda safety engineering has apparently determined that if auto brake hold is enabled by the driver.. then it should work even in neutral.

I have explained this twice now. If you don't get it or simply refuse to listen.. then this discussion has no point and we should both move on.
Good point. Safety engineers must not of thought about car washes then.

·
Registered
43 Posts

Personally, there are two features I do not use on my Touring in a static setup (ie: always on): 1) Automatic brake hold. 2) Automatic wipers.

The problem with automated features like these, is you tend to forget about them, and they do have a few corner cases where they can cause trouble with car washes topping the list.

The case in this thread exemplifies what can go wrong with auto brake hold.

AND.. in the case of automatic wipers.. I have seen two or three cases over the years of a driver in front of me entering a car wash and as soon as the automatic brushes and water turn on.. there is an immediate battle between the big massive cleaning brushes and the front windshield wipers... and sure enough the front wipers lose every time.

I even had a case of a woman in front of me panic and instead of turning her wipers off.. she decided to back out of the wash instead.. and it took some frantic horn honking on my part as well as backing up myself about 10 feet to avoid a bumper collision. :eek: Luckily there was nobody else behind me at the time.
Just an FYI, the manual actually states that auto wipers are not supposed to be left on anyways. Pretty sure it says something about leaving them on all the time can damage the sensors. I didn’t realize this for the first month I owned my CRV, but once I read this in the manual I only turn on the auto wiper function when it’s raining. I know, some people will think “what’s the point of auto wipers then” so I guess it’s really just for automatically adjusting wiper speed depending on how hard it’s raining, and should not thought of to be used for turning the wipers on.

·
Registered
43 Posts
So many posts in this thread hating on Brake Hold. It’s one of my favorite features of the car. I live in Chicago and do lots of stop and go/congested driving as well as more relaxing trips out in the suburbs and find it very useful in all situations. I turn it on every time I turn on my car. So nice to be able to not hold the brake pedal all the time and just relax, and in combination with ACC I can just use the steering wheel controls to accelerate so there are times when I barely have to use my feet for my entire drive. It’s a feature I thought nothing of when I first bought the car but now it’s one of my favorites.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Realistically?

Yes, realistically. It says in the owners manual that using the automatic brake hold on steep or slippery roads may still allow the vehicle to move. So, the safety conscious person wouldn't use it on a non-level slope in neutral.
But, based on your points, why does Honda include a display audio system that most likely leads to some forms of distracted driving if we are so concerned with the manufacturer providing a safe vehicle? Wouldn't it be safer to have a simple/basic audio system? Besides, all these car safety systems have been leading to more accidents.

Those ‘safe’ autopilot features are turning us into more distracted drivers, AAA warns

Distracted by Tech While Driving? The Answer May Be More Tech

Maybe I'm just "old school" and don't need a nanny looking over me and I take and embrace responsibilty. Rare traits in many people I interact with today.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I avoid car washes with automated rails because I fear they can potentially cause (1) improper wheel alignment, (2) scratched wheels, (3) tires knocked out of proper balance if the sidewall of the tires rub against the side of the rail for the length of the entire car wash.

An interesting bit of information about the brake hold feature in the CR-V is that if the driver's seat belt is not buckled with the transmission in D/S/L and brake hold is activated while stopped a red light, instead of the brake hold feature disengaging upon applying foot to accelerator (as designed to happen with seat belt buckled) and allowing the vehicle to move forward, the PARKING brake will engage. You will then have to disengage the parking brake in order to move, regardless of whether you fasten your seat belt or not.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts