Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
An interesting bit of information about the brake hold feature in the CR-V is that if the driver's seat belt is not buckled with the transmission in D/S/L and brake hold is activated while stopped a red light, instead of the brake hold feature disengaging upon applying foot to accelerator (as designed to happen with seat belt buckled) and allowing the vehicle to move forward, the PARKING brake will engage. You will then have to disengage the parking brake in order to move, regardless of whether you fasten your seat belt or not.
You should be able to overide this if you program so that parking brake does not automatically set. My parking brake is set so that it only applies when I manually set it.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Just an FYI, the manual actually states that auto wipers are not supposed to be left on anyways. Pretty sure it says something about leaving them on all the time can damage the sensors. I didn’t realize this for the first month I owned my CRV, but once I read this in the manual I only turn on the auto wiper function when it’s raining. I know, some people will think “what’s the point of auto wipers then” so I guess it’s really just for automatically adjusting wiper speed depending on how hard it’s raining, and should not thought of to be used for turning the wipers on.
No disagreement from me here. Though I do not see how it would damage the sensors. I've seen the sensor array when my windshield was replaced... it is a fairly simply sensor array, nothing remarkable, and it is protected from the environment by the windshield. Could be it has a more limited MTBF in hours than other sensors. Like so many other systems in Hondas.. if leaving it on would damage it, I would expect Honda would do the usual... auto-terminate on engine stop. I suspect the Honda warning is more about a false trigger of the sensor (water dripping on it, but not the whole windshield) driving dry wiper blades across a dirty windshield... which could cause scratches, including in front of the sensor.

That said.... having observed owners leaving it on and entering a car wash and having one or more wiper blades destroyed... it clearly is an issue of some owners leaving automatic things on.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I stopped using automated car washes years ago. Not always safe plus I used to fine hairline scratches on the hood and trunk of previous cars I owned. Come to find out it was from the cleaning straps that hang and drag across the car. They can contain sand and grit from pick up trucks that 4-wheel out in the dirt/mud.
I now clean my car at home with the new spray on rinseless wash ‘n wax products. After one year of using those products I have no scratches on my car......and an extremely shiny car!
I only use touchless car washes where nothing physical touches my car; no brushes, no straps, etc. Works very well for me for several years.

Of course, the blowers never completely dry the car, but I always take a towel and wipe the windows, any water drops on the body and open all the doors and rear hatch and wipe the inside edges dry. In fact, I did that just yesterday with my 2012 Pilot. Tomorrow will the my wife's 2018 CR-V's turn. :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just an FYI, the manual actually states that auto wipers are not supposed to be left on anyways. Pretty sure it says something about leaving them on all the time can damage the sensors. I didn’t realize this for the first month I owned my CRV, but once I read this in the manual I only turn on the auto wiper function when it’s raining. I know, some people will think “what’s the point of auto wipers then” so I guess it’s really just for automatically adjusting wiper speed depending on how hard it’s raining, and should not thought of to be used for turning the wipers on.
Let's see; you only turn on the automatic wipers if it rains. Well, isn't it just as easy to just turn them on manually when it rains as one does with non-automatic wipers? Personally, I don't have that feature, but if I did, I would never use it as I like to control my wipers based on the rainfall which can very quite a bit. That is so easy to do that I can't imagine why I'd want automatic wipers and I can't see any advantage to them except more complexity which equals more money for repairs when they don't work correctly.

To me, this is just one feature/solution looking for a problem that doesn't exist.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
when you are multi tasking, absent minded that is what happs. Imagine most car washes are no persons in the car and BAM

21 - 26 of 26 Posts