Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What if:

You are slowing down at a traffic light and "You" jumped out of the car because an Emergency you had Brake hold on and in Drive and your car now rolled away..

Leaving out all the details and you must be over precise for people here. So what if you jumped out the car person needed your help. and your purse, drink whatever tapped the pedal, and the door was still open. Oh boy Just imagine then to pick on each character to get it right in your brain.

The bottom line here is there is no seat sensor or visual sensor or even pressure sensor when brake hold is Activated.

You won't get a warning (I am not with my V so that is my guess) on a dashboard if your door is ajared or opened, or out of the seat . that your car is deactivated for motion.

Do you think Honda or any company has thought of about what if some one has left the car in gear while in Brake hold and how we can prevent a roll away?

·
Registered
545 Posts
This isn't new...
Its always been the operators responsibility to insure their vehicle is in Park or shut off in gear and/or the brake set BEFORE jumping out of a vehicle.

Manufacturers can only do so much, then its up to the operator to do just that.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
The system will activate the parking brake automatically if you remove your seatbelt while brake hold is active while stopped. In your scenario, jumping out of the car while still moving, the system would automatically disengage the moment you take off your seatbelt, and brake hold would never activate, and you’d be left hoping the Collision Mitigation Braking System would automatically stop the car if it detects an object in front of it.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
The system will activate the parking brake automatically if you remove your seatbelt while brake hold is active while stopped. In your scenario, jumping out of the car while still moving, the system would automatically disengage the moment you take off your seatbelt, and brake hold would never activate, and you’d be left hoping the Collision Mitigation Braking System would automatically stop the car if it detects an object in front of it.
Interesting! Mine does not do that. The seat belt has no control over the Brake hold on mine.

As to Fishys point, as stated in the first reply this is nothing new. Car companies cannot stuff grey matter between your ears! Always put your car into Park before jumping out. Maybe I am a bit old but this was not even a topic of discussion in the days when Manual Transmissions ruled. Now with Automatics and Brake hold features people are forgetting how to drive properly and depending on safety systems to replace common sense. Case in point the Drunk driver who fell asleep at the wheel for 7 hours while his Tesla was on auto pilot.

Rob

·
Registered
45 Posts
Interesting! Mine does not do that. The seat belt has no control over the Brake hold on mine.

Rob
That is interesting. Must be a regional difference. Although surprised it wouldn’t be in every CRV as it’s a smart safety feature.

·
Registered
491 Posts

As to Fishys point, as stated in the first reply this is nothing new. Car companies cannot stuff grey matter between your ears! Always put your car into Park before jumping out. Maybe I am a bit old but this was not even a topic of discussion in the days when Manual Transmissions ruled. Now with Automatics and Brake hold features people are forgetting how to drive properly and depending on safety systems to replace common sense. Case in point the Drunk driver who fell asleep at the wheel for 7 hours while his Tesla was on auto pilot.

Rob
I notice your vehicle is made in Thailand. The Owners Manual for NA models states you can't activate Brake Hold unless the driver's seat belt is fastened. Once activated, Brake Hold is cancelled and the parking brake is automatically applied when the driver's seat belt is unfastened.

·
Registered
434 Posts
The system will activate the parking brake automatically if you remove your seatbelt while brake hold is active while stopped.
With mine (I am in Texas, 2018 CR-V assembled in Indiana) if the Brake Hold is ON the parking brake also activates automatically when I get out of my car at the mailbox.

This reminds of a funny story many years ago, funny to me at least. I was riding my bicycle around the neighborhood on a city street (legal to do). There was a ditch and then a sidewalk I could have ridden on however the sidewalk was in bad shape. A car came up behind me and started honking so I would move away. I moved to the right as far as I could and the guy finally passed me shaking his hand in anger. He comes to a stop sign, I am now behind him, and instead of just proceeding the gets out of his car, leaves the door open and approaches me. I don't know if he was going to chew me out or beat me up or what but he forgot to put his car in park so it started to roll forward from the stop sign. As he approached me I pointed to his car and he started running after it!!! Fortunately he got back in it before it went into the ditch or worse, hit someone else. He did get out again.

·
Super Moderator
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So Brake hold on. Seat belt on car Will roll when objects taps brake. Like I said no visual or pressure sensor. Not sure if you understand safety is key and what I pointed out is not gray matter. It’s life.

·
Registered
415 Posts
if that was me on the bike, I would have let his car drive itself until it hits a pole or something. What a PO Sht that guy.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I guess I'm addicted to brake hold. I rented a car w/out it recently & was not happy without my BH!!

It has, however, reformed a habit of mine of unclicking my seatbelt just before putting the car in park (I know, bad me).
I avoid doing that now as I very rarely ever use a parking brake & if I unclicked early now the parking brake comes on & then I have to turn it back off (PITA)

·
Registered
434 Posts
if that was me on the bike, I would have let his car drive itself until it hits a pole or something. What a PO Sht that guy.
Yeah, that guy was the type you read about in the news about road rage and going ballistic for nothing. I did start laughing when he was running back to the car, not sure he heard me as he had other worries then. :)

·
Registered
653 Posts
So Brake hold on. Seat belt on car Will roll when objects taps brake. Like I said no visual or pressure sensor. Not sure if you understand safety is key and what I pointed out is not gray matter. It’s life.
So many gadgets on this car, but good to know what type of mess you can get yourself into unless you really pay attention. I just had to go out and check my brake hold -- cold weather and all.

With my seatbelt OFF, Brake hold cannot even be "selected."

With seatbelt ON, I stopped the car with the Brake Hold engaged and took my foot off the brake pedal. Unlatched my seatbelt and the parking brake automatically came on and kept the car stopped. An item (or brush of the foot) against the pedal is not going to disengage the parking brake.

Surprisingly, Brake Hold doesn't function at all in reverse gear (likewise, the parking brake doesn't engage when unbuckling seat belt in reverse).

Don't say it: I already know that I should read ALL of that tedious owners manual.

·
Super Moderator
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I said my Peace. Thank you thanks all for bringing this to the next level that while rolling taking off a seat belt, never did I say that I said at a traffic like in gear hop out.

@beachpassport Thank you

·
Registered
197 Posts
Instead of guessing, I went ahead and tried this with my vehicle.

Scenario A: brake hold enabled and actively holding the vehicle at a stop.
Unbuckling the seat belt causes the green brake hold light to change to the red parking brake light and the vehicle is still held to a stop.
Same thing happens when the door is opened.
The parking brake must be released to move the vehicle again, foot on brake, pull parking brake button.

Scenario B:
Vehicle is completely stopped while using ACC cruise control (cruise control standby).
The same as above (parking brake enabled), except "ACC canceled: seat belt unbuckled" appears on the center display.

If I were to try this with my 2018 Odyssey, I believe it put it in park instead because of the push button transmission.

·
Super Moderator
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am going to throw a stupid thing in this post and itell you there will be that one that will be using it here and will find out the hard way

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Instead of guessing, I went ahead and tried this with my vehicle.

Scenario A: brake hold enabled and actively holding the vehicle at a stop.
Unbuckling the seat belt causes the green brake hold light to change to the red parking brake light and the vehicle is still held to a stop.
Same thing happens when the door is opened.
The parking brake must be released to move the vehicle again, foot on brake, pull parking brake button.

Scenario B:
Vehicle is completely stopped while using ACC cruise control (cruise control standby).
The same as above (parking brake enabled), except "ACC canceled: seat belt unbuckled" appears on the center display.

If I were to try this with my 2018 Odyssey, I believe it put it in park instead because of the push button transmission.
Mine does the same thing. I never looked at the light, not sure if its changing from Green to the Red. I know that seat belt has no effect on the brake hold being on or off. I will do some further tests on the weekend

·
Registered
197 Posts
I know that seat belt has no effect on the brake hold being on or off.
The subtle difference is that brake hold engages the parking brake when the vehicle comes to a stop when brake hold is active.
So, there is no real difference when the seat belt is unbuckled or the door is opened.
The parking brake is already engaged.

On the other hand, whem the vehicle is stopped due to ACC cruise control, the vehicle is using the main brakes.
In this case, the vehicle immediately applies the parking brake.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
The subtle difference is that brake hold engages the parking brake when the vehicle comes to a stop when brake hold is active.
So, there is no real difference when the seat belt is unbuckled or the door is opened.
The parking brake is already engaged.

On the other hand, whem the vehicle is stopped due to ACC cruise control, the vehicle is using the main brakes.
In this case, the vehicle immediately applies the parking brake.
Brake Hold does not use the parking brake. It uses the electric brake booster just like ACC.

·
Super Moderator
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What if:

You are slowing down at a traffic light and "You" jumped out of the car because an Emergency you had Brake hold on and in Drive and your car now rolled away..

Leaving out all the details and you must be over precise for people here. So what if you jumped out the car person needed your help. and your purse, drink whatever tapped the pedal, and the door was still open. Oh boy Just imagine then to pick on each character to get it right in your brain.

The bottom line here is there is no seat sensor or visual sensor or even pressure sensor when brake hold is Activated.

You won't get a warning (I am not with my V so that is my guess) on a dashboard if your door is agared or opened, or out of the seat . that your car is deactivated for motion.

Do you think Honda or any company has thought of about what if some one has left the car in gear while in Brake hold and how we can prevent a roll away?

back to the topic

1 - 20 of 30 Posts