Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any have a good ballpark price on what to expect the dealer to charge for a Brake job these days?

thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
I used to say. got a local or member near USA, they can stop on by , lend and help show you how, my suggestion is ask a shop. Pads run under a Bill and suggest all four be done, as the front and rear are designed to evenly wear.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,661 Posts
It depends on what you need, but call your dealer service dept. and ask. Be ready to tell them your mileage on the current brakes, and whether you just need pads and lube or rotors or fluid, etc. You can also call other shops and see what their prices are, but you'll also want to know what brand of parts they use.

·
Registered
2022 CR-V touring Hybrid
287 Posts
I have a shop near me that prefers me to get my own pads and then puts them on. I think it was about $75 and the pads were about $25-30. I used to do them myself on my older Accord but I'm getting too old to bend down these days, kills my knees.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looking at one of my local Honda dealer websites they offer a "Front Brake Special" for $259!! Seems really high..

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
yep, not sure whats included.

Front or Rear Brakes
With Machining of Rotors
$199.95
- Replace front or rear disc brake pads - Resurface front or rear rotors - Inspect discs, calipers and hardware - Road test for quality (additional parts, drum brakes or materials not listed are an additional cost)

DIY for a pad slap is $70-75. Not sure I would ever resurface rotors.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
I did ours have to get front and rear, Honda pads cost about $150. so year add labor of an hour at what $110.00 plus think that is all you get . pads on nothing more.

·
Registered
596 Posts

looks like one of the places local to me will change the front pads and turn rotors for $229, with the coupon. Seems like Stacy is online and can help you through the process. Oh, too bad, the coupon already expired but is still on the website.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just called a local shop that usually has pretty good prices and they quoted me a front brake job with new rotors for $349.. geez man.. i really dont mind paying to have the work done, but also dont like getting ripped off.

·
Registered
190 Posts
the number one reason i have a shop do my brake jobs is liability. if i do them and and they fail and i get into an accident, the buck stops with me. if they do it and it fails, the buck stops with them. stopping is too important. cheap insurance and peace of mind. i don't use quick shops. i have a couple of trusted independents plus the dealer.
i usually supply my choice of rotors and pads (don't bother with the turning, just replace with fresh). they also examine and lube the calipers, and change the brake fluid.

again, lives are at stake with the brakes, don't go cheap.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
I noticed the change years ago, less rear pad. rather worry and I did them all and they were needing the change. so its best to inspect them all and make that decision. Then no pads on the rear down the road. Why I do all four at the same time why I.

·
Registered
17 CR-V LX
264 Posts
Is this true? I've never heard of a vehicle where the fronts and rears are designed to wear at the same rate. In my experience with other cars, usually the rears last WAY longer than the fronts do.
Depends on the vehicle, but usually the fronts. NO need to do all.

Rockauto.com - brake parts and all, great prices!

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
I looked at my records, the pads looked about the same, so I apologize for that, yes hte front is the stopper, the rear drags with it.. I was going to say and now I remember, if i look at my brake fluid under the hood, its low, I know its wearing. and you may fill. big mistake, I don;t do.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Depends on the vehicle, but usually the fronts. NO need to do all.

Rockauto.com - brake parts and all, great prices!
I've used the PowerStop rotor/pad brake kit from RockAuto. Quality seems good,
don't how many miles I will get from them though. Very good prices.
Keeping an eye on my wife's 2015 Honda CR V LX AWD, orginal pads at 32,000 miles,
all 4 seem to be wearing at same rate.
On my 2016 HRV the original rear rotors rusted up at around 25,000 miles. It was out
of warranty so used the PowerStop kit. Rear pads had a lot of meat left it was just the rotor
that rusted and had grooves, poor OEM quality I guess. I showed pictures to local dealer service
manager. He said "yup, doesn't look good" lol

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,234 Posts
Some years ago, I seem to remember reading that some Honda owners were complaining about their rear pads wearing out before the fronts. I don't remember where the discussion lead, but I also seem to remember that some assumptions were that Honda was using rear pads with less pad material so they would wear out about the same time as the fronts. As they were apparently wearing out before the fronts, perhaps Honda didn't get the rear pad size right.

Does anyone remember this, or am I all wet here?
I think fishy mentioned this in post #15.
Is Honda using different thickness (thinner) rear pads?

Reactions: fishycomics
1 - 20 of 33 Posts