Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My CR-V judders at two differing speeds under braking.

The car judders when coming to a full stop from all speeds, it is literally the last 20mph down to 0. I have tried braking in gear, out of gear, clutch up and clutch down but nothing seems to affect it. The steering wheel vibrates a lot and the car shakes.

Discs and pads were changed recently in the hope it would be the cure and this hasn't solved it. The old discs were apparently very worn and overdue a change.

I also recently had the front wheels balanced to solve a driving vibration. The driving vibration has gone but now the car judders under braking from 70mph plus down for about 10mph then is smooth again. It seems strange that this has appeared after the wheels were balanced, but when driving the car is smoother than it has ever been!

I appreciate that there may be a variety of potential contributors but I wondered if there were any specific Mk3 issues to look for? Tyres, play in suspension, alloys etc??

It is standard CRV no modifications with 17 inch alloys and mid-range Nexen tyres all with 4mm tread or more.

Regards,
Stu.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Were the lug nuts tightened using a torque wrench? Over-torquing or uneven torque could contribute to rotor warpage. (Seems odd, but even Honda recommends torquing the lug nuts.)

Don't rule out poorly made replacement rotors either. Those could warp easily.

The car I owned from '85-'92 had a problem with severe rotor warpage that nothing would correct. (Damned Ford product. ?) It was so severe it could jerk the steering wheel out of your hands. That thing was a lemon, and was part of what drove me to buy Hondas...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts