Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My newly acquired 2010 CRV is having an odd issue I can't figure out. On either side each tail light assembly has two bulbs that work as tail light and brake light. On my driver's side lens I have the top bulb not illuminating when I apply the brakes but it illuminates when I turn on the tail lights. On the passenger side I have the opposite. Bulb illuminates when applying the brake but does not when the tail lights are on.
I have read lots of threads where people where told to replace bulbs and double check bulb number and so on...
Here is what I have done.
Thinking it was a bulb issue and one of the filaments must be out, I bought brand new 168 bulbs. I put them in and still have the exact same issue. I then went back online to verify that indeed my vehicle calls for 168 bulb. I then put back the old bulbs but this time I switch sides...... Same results. So no I have to rule out bulbs since I put new ones in and had no change and also put old ones from the other side in and they still did the same thing. It also rules out bad filaments in the bulbs. Just to take it another step I tried other similar bulbs like 174......same exact results.

I still have the lower bulbs working properly so I guess it is not the end of the world......I just thought I should have as much proper illumination as possible.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Check for a poor ground, could be a broken wire or corrosion. Sounds like the two are sharing a ground and feeding back.

BTW, I'm not familiar with where the wires are grounded to the body in the back, but when you do locate them remove them and clean with sandpaper or similar and re-secure. Ground wires can look fine but a poor connection can still be present.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Each side has its own ground behind the rear side panel. It is impossible for it to be a related ground issue. Each tail light has two bulbs in separate lenses on top of each other. Wires go into a rubber grommet. On the other side of the grommet there are less wires so I am sure that is where each side shares the same feed....brake/tail/turn/rev. grounds are in perfect shape and run together. Plus there is only one ground per bulb....so if the bulb had a bad ground it would illuminate for tail and not for brake. Same bulb does both. It if was a bad ground it would not illuminate for both tail and brake.

It is just odd that it happens to be the top bulb on both sides.....issue- one is tail and one is brake not working.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,072 Posts
If a ground connection (right at the bulb for instance) is missing, the 'lectricity will find another path... Usually through a different filament.

That said, have you looked closely at the insides of the sockets? If the bulbs are the type with wires sticking out of the base, a piece could have come loose from a previous bulb change.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi jlwardn, have you solved your tail/break light issue? I have an issue with my 2007 Honda CR-V that the taillights turn on when I lock the car (the bulbs are OK) but not when I press the break pedal. It happens to both side.
Do you know where to find a wiring diagram for this car? Thx!

·
Everything in Moderation
8,072 Posts
The filaments that flash during locking are the running lights. These are different from the high-wattage brake light filaments.

First make sure that the switch under the dash (for the pedal) is connected and properly positioned. Then, replace both rear bulbs (you could have had one burned out for a while but didn't notice).

Is the center lamp working with the brakes?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts