Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,576 Posts
The instructions that came with the controller should have called out the wire sizes. If you are asking the wire size for the brake signal circuit (red wire) then you can use #14 since it's doesn't have to provide much current. The blue and black wires have a heavier load and should be at least a #12

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The instructions that came with the controller should have called out the wire sizes. If you are asking the wire size for the brake signal circuit (red wire) then you can use #14 since it's doesn't have to provide much current. The blue and black wires have a heavier load and should be at least a #12
Thanks for the response. I apologize for not being more clear. My question is referring to the wire size of the factory wire coming out of the CRV brake switch itself, not the wire size of the brake signal circuit (red wire). All four wires coming out of the brake switch are very small in size. I guessing between #18-22. I will need to tap into one of them (blue one I think) to get a brake signal with the appropriate tap connector.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yes. For the brake wire (at its foot peddle switch), I always like to +1 size. re: If factory 18 gauge, then use thicker 14 gauge wire. And if pulling new wires under the vehicle, I like using thick 10 gauge instead of recommended 12 gauge. Thicker wire also means more outer plastic protection as well. And, less natural sagging across unsupported areas. This works for me..... For a good video, surf:

Note: Replace above u-tube with youtube and play video clip in your direct browser window.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,576 Posts
Thanks for the response. I apologize for not being more clear. My question is referring to the wire size of the factory wire coming out of the CRV brake switch itself, not the wire size of the brake signal circuit (red wire). All four wires coming out of the brake switch are very small in size. I guessing between #18-22. I will need to tap into one of them (blue one I think) to get a brake signal with the appropriate tap connector.
Yes the wires from the brake switch is 22 gauge. You are correct the blue wire is the one you want to tap.So any 18-22 awg tap will work just fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts