Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Backstory: Girlfriend took my 98 crv EX to work and when she was leaving for the day she started the car and the horn went off and wouldnt stop til she pulled the fuse. It also wouldnt shift out of park as the brake interlock was in position. Called a tow truck who graciously came put to show her how to bypass the interlock so she could get home.

So doing some tinkering, putting a new fuse in to the slot for the horn under the hood blows once you use the horn. I replaced the brake switch and i still cant get brake lights to come on. The running lights dont seem to be coming on either when i turn on the headlights. Given that all of this seemed to happen at the same time i think there may be a short in the steering column somewhere but ive taken off all the trim under the steering wheel to have a look around and cant seem to find anything out of place. No fuses blown under the dash, used a circuit tester and i seem to get power to the running lights relay fuse, but no power to any of the wires on the brake switch. Dont even know where to start with the horn but not a priority.

So whats the next step? Anyone have this issue and found a fix? Should i just keep tracing the brake wiring back to the tail lights and look for something messed up?

·
Registered
918 Posts
Welcome to the forum

See what is and isn't working correctly. Write it down to see what is common

You have a service manual??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did not have a service manual, ill thumb through it thanks. The issues are pretty much limited to what i wrote aboyt, rear brake lights wont turn on with brake pedal, wont turn on with headlights, and the horn fuse blowing. Im fairly certain its related to a bad ground, but was hoping someone would know where to look.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Bad ground won't blow a fuse. Short circuit will. Horn fuse power lights too?
Tail and brake lights separate circuits. Bulb is two filaments. Bad ground would usually glow dim on both as it would be back feeding.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I agree with Theman5. Was anything done before this happened? Any Aftermarket stuff? Is the Horn OEM or Aftermarket? The fuse for the Horn blowing could be a separate problem. Try this with the horn. Remove the terminals going to the horn & press the horn button see if the fuse blows. You could have an Internally shorted horn. Let us know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts