Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm a newbie here. I have a 1999 CR-V with 138K miles on it. The CR-V was making a light squeaking noise when letting up off of the brake, and after research I found out that it was the brake shoes squeaking against the backing plate when I released the brake. So I had a friend of mine that is familiar with cars lubricate the contact point with white lithium grease. The squeak went away, but now there is a loud, almost singular groan/grind that occurs when I brake hard.

It makes this noise in reverse, when not moving at all, and also when coming to a complete stop. At first I thought that the shoes may have been dirtied by grease or dust that was in the brake drum. I've had it inspected by both a Goodyear and a Honda dealership. The Goodyear claimed that I needed new bushings (wouldn't specify which ones though), and the Dealership proceeded to inform me that I needed all new struts, complete with a hefty price (way over done).

So my question is, does anyone have an idea of what this could be? Both places said my brakes looked fine, but if it were my struts, would they be making the noise when the car is not in motion? Would the same go for bushings? I'm having trouble with who to believe, or if I should believe any of them. I'm sure my struts do need replacing, and probably also my bushings, but I don't know if changing these would solve this awful short groan I keep hearing. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
"...makes this noise in reverse, when not moving at all,..."
What is moving when you're not moving at all? The transmission is still turning if it's an automatic.
More info on the car is needed I think.
Are you the original owner?
What is the service history of the car?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It makes the noise when braking from moving in reverse. It makes the noise when I am not moving at all and applying the brakes. It also makes the same noise when I am moving forward and then apply the brakes. I'm just clarifying the situations in which the noise occurs. I am not the original owner, but have had it for the past ten years. I regularly get maintenance, about three months ago I had it in the shop to get the front brakes replaced, but they did not replace or even look at the back brakes (I know because when my friend took the brakes apart, it was very difficult to open the drums and there was brake dust everywhere, way too much to only be a few months worth). The Honda dealership said it also need differential fluid replaced, and a timing belt change, but I've never had this noise occur before.

·
Registered
437 Posts
You could have someone listen at the back wheels while you apply the brakes, this could be just the brake shoes rubbing against the backing plate as they move out toward the drums. If the auto adjusters are not moving freely then the shoes as they wear may have to move more to contact the drums. With 138k miles and 14 years on the original timing belt I would be very nervous about driving it. If the belt breaks it can be very costly. Have the valves ever been adjusted ?

·
Registered
901 Posts
Sounds like warp brake rotars. The groaning noise is simply the grease coming in contact with the brakes and making the brakes "slip" hence the noise. You will have to get the rotars cut/resurfaced and new brake pads. My bicycle did that when I sprayed wd40 on the brakes and rims.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The valves have not been adjusted as far as I know. The timing belt is on my list next, as soon as I get this noise taken care of. I'm taking it to another mechanic tomorrow. I've priced getting new brake pads and a resurfacing from them so hopefully that may solve my issue. I will also mention the auto adjusters to the mechanic, so they can take a look at those too. If my brakes are "slipping" then I need to get it taken care of ASAP.

·
Registered
901 Posts
When you get the timing belt done, get the water pump, thermostat, and valve adjustment done. Its easy to do because everything is open. Search amazon and you will find a timing belt kit with everything in it.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I would not worry about the brake noise until the timing belt was checked. It could be very costly if the belt fails because the valves can stop in a position where the pistons can run right into them $$$$. The pistons usually win the argument! It should be around $2-300 to have the check/adjustment done (at Honda) and it could be less if done at the same time as the belt. Many of the failures have occurred at about 100,000 miles.
As far as the groaning goes you can make any (drum or disc) brake shoe groan by simply slowly releasing the pressure on the brake pedal after firmly applying the brakes and stopping the car. The groaning sound is the shoes chattering on the drums/discs as the wheel just starts to move. I do it purposely to shake the brake dust off the shoes. If it happens when you have not purposely let off on the brake, then you probably have contamination in the brake fluid or some leakback at the wheel cylinders or master cylinder. It's not likely your master since the noise is in the rear only? How long since the brake fluid was flushed? Over 30,000? Groan!

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
You mentioned the rear diff hasn't been changed lately. You will hear a squeel usually when making slow sharp turns.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I agree with Blue12EXL, get that belt changed ASAP.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, new info, it turns out that the timing belt was in fact changed around 95K. So I think it's still pretty good. I'll go ahead and have them look at the brake fluid/flush it, and also have the differential fluid flushed too. I'll be taking it tomorrow so I'll post an update if they find the problem. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: the mechanic said that the brakes needed adjusting, cleaning and greasing. Nothing major, did it for free, and the noise is completely gone. I'm glad that's all it was, the dealership wanted me to replace all of my struts for a huge price! The mechanic also replaced the sway bar mounting bushings because of a noise the car made when I was turning. All in all, I was pleased that it wasn't something more serious.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Did you get the fluids flushed/changed as mentioned in post #11?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They changed the transmission fluid, but they said the differential and brake fluids looked good and didn't need changing out. I can tell a difference since they changed the transmission fluid, ride is much smoother now.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
If the brakes needed adjusting and grease, the fluid needs to be changed too.
Read some of the posts on the diff oil change, I'd recommend you get it changed as well.
This will set a baseline for maintenance, YOU will know it was done. Right now, unless the dealer has service history in the computer on it, you don't know when any of this was done, if at all.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,072 Posts
^^^ Yeah... listen to 20CRVEX13.

Honda fluids "look" good even when the additives in them have reached their end-of-life. Not like older automatic fluid, that smelled "burned" when it was old.

Brake fluid needs to be replaced every three years. This is especially important now that most cars have ABS and Traction/Stability Control. You don't want to gum up or corrode the pumps in those important safety systems.

ABS was an option in 1999 CR-Vs. Some had it, some didn't.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts