Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brake pad replacement

14K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Tigris99 
#1 ·
Just came back from the dealer and was told my front brake pads need replacing. Have about 37k miles on my CRV. Has anyone else changed the pads? At what mileage were you told by the dealer they needed to be changed? Just curious.

#2 ·
A few web searches offer the general advice to replace brake pads every 50,000 miles.

If your pads are worn then have them replaced. If you don't, and try to stretch a few more miles out of them, you risk the pads wearing down to the point that the material is gone and they start damaging the rotors. Replacing brake rotors is a lot more expensive than replacing brake pads.

#6 ·
If you want to maximize your pad usage, change it when the wear indicator starts screeching. The screeching is not harmful to the brakes at all.

Stick with oem honda pads. It's the best combination of wear/noise/dust/fade resistance.
This is what I also do.... just wait for it to give you the indication. It is designed for it... just don't wait too long after you start hearing the screeching/rubbing.... a quick look from time to time will also help determine how your pads are holding up... easy to see through the calipers, spray water on them to clean out the brake dust while your at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.