Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 CRV Touring with about 67,500 miles. The brake pads have never been replaced and the dealer has continually told me that they are fine. My concern is that even though there is enough lining on them, am I risking anything, such as calipers, etc., if I don't proactively have them replaced? The same dealer doesn't recommend oil changes until there is 15% left on the gauge, or once a year. Finally, I don't remember when or if I've had the brake fluid every changed. Is this worth doing next time I bring the car in? Thanks in advance for advice.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,016 Posts
Your factory brake pads have little metal 'squealers' that will make a noise when pad thickness gets down to ~1 - 2 mm thick. If you heed the signal and make the brake pad replacement appointment when you hear the squeal, you won't hurt anything.
Our factory pads lasted about 75K miles, but as they say, YMMV. :rolleyes:

The dealer is quoting Honda's recommendation for oil change intervals. (0% or one year, actually)

As far as the brake fluid replacement: YES, do it next service. Per Honda, should be replaced every 3 years after that regardless of mileage, as BF absorbs moisture that can corrode components in your braking system.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,013 Posts
I have a 2015 CRV Touring with about 67,500 miles. The brake pads have never been replaced and the dealer has continually told me that they are fine. My concern is that even though there is enough lining on them, am I risking anything, such as calipers, etc., if I don't proactively have them replaced? The same dealer doesn't recommend oil changes until there is 15% left on the gauge, or once a year. Finally, I don't remember when or if I've had the brake fluid every changed. Is this worth doing next time I bring the car in? Thanks in advance for advice.
For reference new brake pads start out at 11 mm thick. When they get down to 4 mm you should start thinking about replacement. If your dealer is providing you with the current thickness of each of the pads you can judge how much longer you have on your brake pads.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,016 Posts
When they get down to 4 mm you should start thinking about replacement.
Yeah, in other words, keep your eyes peeled for SALES if you KNOW the pads are getting thin. Sometimes you can score dealer brake service discounts around here.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Frequently wear indicators fail and give no sound. Keep an eye on pads. Are you in the rust belt ?? Change oil frequently !!

·
Premium Member
2018 EX-L fwd
541 Posts
Best way to hear your brakes squealing:
Go behind a strip mall, or some place where there is a large, flat reflective wall and which has very little extraneous noise / traffic.
Get as close to the flat surface as you safely can.
Completely roll all your windows down & turn off your radio.
Slowly drive parallel to the wall & gently apply pressure to your brakes.
If you are down to the 1-2mm thickness, the "squealer" strips will start rubbing against your rotors which you will hear.
If you hear no sound when traveling in that direction, make a 180 turn and do the same procedure going in the opposite direction.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've got 115,000 miles on the original front, 1/2 worn and they're still on. The rear pads are another story. Replaced the rear pads at 106,000 miles...cause was all the salt/brine they use on the roads in the winter seizing up the calipers.
Something I've done since the car was new....was to use the button on the shifter to slow down on hills and coming to a stop light/stop sign. May or may not have made a difference...but I have the confidence it did save the brake pads.

·
Premium Member
2010 EX-L (AWD, non-Nav)
567 Posts
The brake pads have never been replaced and the dealer has continually told me that they are fine. My concern is that even though there is enough lining on them, am I risking anything, such as calipers, etc., if I don't proactively have them replaced? The same dealer doesn't recommend oil changes until there is 15% left on the gauge, or once a year.
Keep using that dealer! They're not trying to get you to replace things that don't need replacing!

·
Registered
43 Posts
When you do hear the squealers of the brake you only wave a few days of use before the squealers will damage the rotors.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I've got 115,000 miles on the original front, 1/2 worn and they're still on. The rear pads are another story. Replaced the rear pads at 106,000 miles...cause was all the salt/brine they use on the roads in the winter seizing up the calipers.
Something I've done since the car was new....was to use the button on the shifter to slow down on hills and coming to a stop light/stop sign. May or may not have made a difference...but I have the confidence it did save the brake pads.
Brakes are cheap and easy to replace compared to the all parts involved that come into play when downshifting frequently to slow the vehicle.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I would replace them when close to the 4mm. Why wait until they squeal, something comes up and you cant get it in...

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,068 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,016 Posts
When you do hear the squealers of the brake you only wave a few days of use before the squealers will damage the rotors.
The little squealers/wear indicator will not damage rotors. They flex away from the rotor. As Traylaw said, new front pads on our Vs are ~11 mm thick, so the squeal should begin when you have 10% friction material remaining.

They are easily bent during rushed installation, though.

I'm not saying to ignore any squeal. THIS could be the result. :eek:

:p;)

·
Premium Member
2018 EX-L fwd
541 Posts
The little squealers/wear indicator will not damage rotors. They flex away from the rotor. As Traylaw said, new front pads on our Vs are ~11 mm thick, so the squeal should begin when you have 10% friction material remaining.

Been working on cars for 55+ years. Don't remember ever seeing something like your bottom pic. Care to enlighten the rest of us?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

Fixed a guy's jeep brakes worn so bad it was hard to believe. Only reason he stopped driving it was because it wore so much the piston popped out of the caliper and he lost brake pedal 😳

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,068 Posts
I did a set once long ago on a Corolla, I think it was. It had single disc rotors instead of these fancy new-fangled sandwiched double disc ones. The rotors were still full thickness at the inside diameter, but were worn to a knife blade edge at the outside. I was so amazed I called my brother to come over and see them so I'd have a witness. They looked like they'd been machined that way. Looked like Oddjob's hat. The lady was a teacher. She was angry with me because of the cost, until I showed her an old rotor against a new one.I told her she had saved a lot of money on pads over the years, so it evened out. Geez!

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,016 Posts
Been working on cars for 55+ years. Don't remember ever seeing something like your bottom pic. Care to enlighten the rest of us?
Grabbed that image off the WWW. There are several similar ones.

It is a result of an owner whose car made braking noise..."But it still stops, so I kept driving" (for a LOOOONG time, looks like). o_O

Reactions: 13CRVEXLKC

·
Registered
2004 Crv Ex
6 Posts
I actually had that happen to me 40 years ago I was about 17, so I went to mechanics school and now I'm a retired mechanic of 30yrs! Loved every day of it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I changed mine at 8X,000 Miles and they could have easily gone another 50,000.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts