Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I want to start doing my own front and rear brake servicing on my 05 CRV. Does anyone know the pad and rotor thickness limits for the front and rear? I'm running OEM ceramic pads. I have the 02 CRV maintenance manual and the 04 TSB for rear brakes as references. Any input would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
The minimum thickness should be stamped or machined into the rotor itself. You said you had the maintenance manual. Is that the actual maintenance service manual or just the maintenance log that came with your CR-V?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Chuck. I managed to find a copy online of the actual service manual for a 2002 CRV. They indicate break pad thickness service limits but in 05 they switched to ceramic pads so I'm not sure if those limits would apply to my year. I wasn't able to find an 05 service manual and my local dealer wants $213 for a copy!

·
Registered
482 Posts
We have a 2005 CRV. There is a "squeaker" piece on the inside pad ( I think that is the one) to indicate when to change if you let it go that far. Mine is about 1/16" from the the squeaker piece on the rear brakes. I have new OEM pads on hand and will put in next spring when I switch to summer tires. I got a original 2005 Manual for $94 from - Best Brands Manuals and Software in MIdland Mi. toll free phone 866-553-8816 Manual covers 2005 & 2006 vehicles and I think their stock no is #61S9A04 but best phone and be sure.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure about the squealer part on the rears. The reason I say that is because after owning the CRV for 1.5 years and put on 26000km, the right rear rotor got chewed because it had seized. I never got a squeal noise prior to ruining my rotor and had to fork out $475 + labour to have new rear brakes installed. Now I'm dilligent on having all my brakes serviced every year but now I want to perform that task myself to save a few dollars. Bill, if you have that information I would be very greatful if you can let me know pad thickness limits therefore when I service the brakes, I know when they need to be replaced prior to chewing up rotors at $150/ea! Thanks.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,196 Posts
The minimum thickness of any pad is the the split-second before it totally wears out! :eek:

The "squealers" (if they are not bent when installed) give you 1 - 2 mm of warning.

New Honda pads are ~ 11mm thick on the front, ~ 8 mm on the rear.

PS if the right side rotor was damaged, it was probably the left side that seized....

·
Registered
482 Posts
Last year I had the right rear brake sticking a bit - in would make a noise when braking. It was the upper pin that was sticking. The local Honda dealer mechanic said the brakes should be checked every second oil change -even said the guides, pins etc should be lubricated then. For some reason, the right rear seems most prone to sticking - maybe it gets the most road salt and other stuff kicked up by the front wheels. There is the Honda service bulletin on the rear brakes servicing - it is in this forum somewhere - not sure of exact location.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The manual states that brakes should be serviced every 16K. I wish I would have paid attention to that the first time around! I do have the TSB for 2002-2003 and certain 2004 VINS. I will use it as a reference when doing my rears plus the 2002 manual. I doubt the assemblies changed much if at all. I'll take a look for the squealer tab and reference that. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did anyone find out the service limits for the thickness of the front Rotors. Please post and no answers like "just before they break" please. LOL

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi

Service limits are:

Pad 1.6mm (0.06 in) not including the backing plate.

Front disc - measure the brake disc thickness at eight points, about 45 degrees apart and 10 mm (3/8 in.) in from the outer edge of the brake disc. Replace the brake disc if the smallest measurement is less than the max. refinishing limit. 26.0 mm (1.02 in)

Rear disc - measure the brake disc thickness at eight points, about 45 degrees apart and 10 mm (3/8 in.) in from the outer edge of the brake disc. Replace the brake disc if the smallest measurement is less than the max. refinishing limit. 7.5 mm (0.30 in)

Steve

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi

Service limits are:

Pad 1.6mm (0.06 in) not including the backing plate.

Front disc - measure the brake disc thickness at eight points, about 45 degrees apart and 10 mm (3/8 in.) in from the outer edge of the brake disc. Replace the brake disc if the smallest measurement is less than the max. refinishing limit. 26.0 mm (1.02 in)

Rear disc - measure the brake disc thickness at eight points, about 45 degrees apart and 10 mm (3/8 in.) in from the outer edge of the brake disc. Replace the brake disc if the smallest measurement is less than the max. refinishing limit. 7.5 mm (0.30 in)

Steve

Just purchased new front rotors and pads (Honda) and I just want to make a correction to the info above. I checked my rotors with an outside micrometer and they measured 0.984" thick. Minimum Thickness is engraved on the rotor hat and it states 23mm (0.905").

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just purchased new front rotors and pads (Honda) and I just want to make a correction to the info above. I checked my rotors with an outside micrometer and they measured 0.984" thick. Minimum Thickness is engraved on the rotor hat and it states 23mm (0.905").
I wanted to confirm that the rear Honda OEM disc is engraved at 7.5mm minimum.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts