Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We tow our CR-V behind our motorhome, so I needed to know the condition of the brakes and how fast we were wearing them down. I took the car to the dealer for service and a brake check. They reported that they were 4 mm thick at each wheel. However, when I asked what percentage these numbers represented or how thick new pads were, the dealer shop people didn't have a clue.

Anyone have any idea what percentage of new pad thickness 4 mm represents?

·
Registered
38 Posts
You didn't say the year, and model.

For Gen 2 (2002-2006) pads, front: standard thickness: 10.5 -11.5mm, service limit: 1.6mm
rear: standard: 8.5-9.5mm; service limit: 1.6mm

HTH

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
OP here. My CR-V is a 2010 EX-L.

Yesterday when I talked to the service advisor, he said that when the pads are replaced, the rotors would need to be turned also. If the pads have not been worn down so that there is metal-to-metal contact, why would the rotors be damaged?

I have, in my distant past, replaced drum brake shoes and did not have the drums turned unless they were damaged in some way. So is this just another attempt by a dealer shop to run up the bill?

Do the rotors really need to be turned if they are not damaged?

Thx

·
Registered
3 Posts
IMO, you don't have to turn the rotors unless your car got vibration during braking or the surface isn't even.
What are the mileages on your CRV? 4mm seem to be usable but for a peace of mind and your time let replace it.

~Cheers~

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OP here. The odometer shows 32k, but because it has been towed behind a motorhome all its life, the brakes probably have closer to 60k on them. There is no vibration, noise, pulling one way or other, or any other problem that I can tell, so I am thinking that this guy is just trying to fatten his wallet at my expense.
Thx for your opinion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts