Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CRV EX-L
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brand new 2021 CRV EX-L is killing my right hip and leg every time I drive it. We’ve made numerous seat and steering wheel adjustments without relief. We finally realized it is because the brake pedal is higher than the accelerator pedal, so I’m not able to leave my heel on the floor and swivel back and forth to accelerate and brake. The motion of having to lift my leg up and down constantly to brake and accelerate is over stressing the quadricep and hip flexor muscles. QUESTION: Is there a way Honda can adjust my brake pedal to lower it, or raise the accelerator pedal, so they are level?

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
1,662 Posts
Brand new 2021 CRV EX-L is killing my right hip and leg every time I drive it. We’ve made numerous seat and steering wheel adjustments without relief. We finally realized it is because the brake pedal is higher than the accelerator pedal, so I’m not able to leave my heel on the floor and swivel back and forth to accelerate and brake. The motion of having to lift my leg up and down constantly to brake and accelerate is over stressing the quadricep and hip flexor muscles. QUESTION: Is there a way Honda can adjust my brake pedal to lower it, or raise the accelerator pedal, so they are level?
I'm not aware of any adjustment, I'd ask your dealer.
But, you could cut and shape a block of wood (or other material) and glue it onto the accelerator pedal to raise it to the desired level. Low tech but should work, at least until you can do something more permanent.
I could suggest that wearing high heels would make "swiveling" easier, but I suspect that's not the solution you're after. :)

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,075 Posts
Reactions: TheDarkKnight

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
1,662 Posts

Believe the person said Brake not gas
I think he wanted either the brake lower or the gas higher, so he could slide from one to the other without lifting his foot.
Note to the OP:
I'd be careful of any significant changes without making sure it's OK with your insurance carrier, both for liability reasons and to cover the equipment should it be damaged.
Insurance outfits tend to discourage DIYers. The like NMEDA certified installations. :)
As long as Joe Bagodonuts can get in and drive it you should be OK, but anything that alters the driving characteristics might require placards.
I looked into all this when I added a left-side accelerator.
Hopefully a dealer can solve your problem easily. That's the cleanest, and probably safest, answer.

·
Super Moderator
5,075 Posts
Again it goes back to test driving the car. @beww you are right my friend. not sure why people think things are not to their liking

Reactions: TheDarkKnight

·
Registered
237 Posts
You aren't supposed to be able to use the brake pedal with part of your foot still resting on the floor. The way I was taught to drive (which I believe was the right way) is that whenever you aren't actively pushing down on the accelerator, your right foot should be hovering over the brake pedal, ready to stomp down on it at any time. If the muscles in your leg aren't strong enough to do this, you should either give up driving, or get an approval from your doctor to get your vehicle retrofitted for handicap controls.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
808 Posts
I haven't had a car that had same height gas and and brake pedals in decades. The brake pedal is always higher than the gas pedal. That's so you won't be lazy and swivel your floor planted heel back and forth between the two pedals, which is unsafe.

·
Super Moderator
5,075 Posts
You slide your foot, you are going to hit the side of the brake, you are to lift your foot off the gas and go over the brake., reasons why you hear, person hits Gas as the brake and they wind up in.....

See quick video

Reactions: alfhoc

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
1,662 Posts
I haven't had a car that had same height gas and and brake pedals in decades. The brake pedal is always higher than the gas pedal. That's so you won't be lazy and swivel your floor planted heel back and forth between the two pedals, which is unsafe.
That starts to make sense, but as the brake is higher it would only prevent "sliding" from the gas to the brake, and would still allow sliding from the brake to the gas.
If it were a safety measure to prevent "double pedaling" I'd think they would want to give the priority to braking not accelerating.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
808 Posts
That starts to make sense, but as the brake is higher it would only prevent "sliding" from the gas to the brake, and would still allow sliding from the brake to the gas.
If it were a safety measure to prevent "double pedaling" I'd think they would want to give the priority to braking not accelerating.
It would be more like falling from the brake pedal to the gas pedal. And if the shoe is too slippery, get Nikes. They track on everything! :LOL:

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
1,662 Posts
It would be more like falling from the brake pedal to the gas pedal. And if the shoe is too slippery, get Nikes. They track on everything! :LOL:
A friend of mine plays the (pipe) organ and has special shoes designed to slide on the pedals.
I guess bowling shoes are designed to slide as well.
Golf shoes?
Then there's the whole "is it legal to use your left foot?" Debate. :)

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
808 Posts
A friend of mine plays the (pipe) organ and has special shoes designed to slide on the pedals.
I guess bowling shoes are designed to slide as well.
Golf shoes?
Then there's the whole "is it legal to use your left foot?" Debate. :)
I once knew a guy who had polio. He had a bike brake lever mounted to the steering column and something similar mounted to the steering wheel to accelerate.

No Nikes needed!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I was thinking the same as the Mod, above. That must be how old people get confused and have horrible accidents that sometimes go through storefronts and kill pedestrians. And I am no spring chicken, but I can certainly lift my foot without causing myself pain anywhere. Get hand controls, in order to keep yourself and any drivers around you safe.

·
Super Moderator
5,075 Posts
the Brake pedal sits CLOSER. one is Electronic and the other is pressure.

Yes accidents happen to all look at the Toyota, who knew a designed floor mat caused the Recall.

·
Registered
2020 CRV Sport
97 Posts
When I get in the Crv on occasions my brake pedal is to hard to depress in order to start the vehicle on the first push of the button. After pressing the button 2 more times the pedal pressure lowers and the pedal sinks enough to allow vehicle to stop. The parking brake is always released before starting this process. I'm wondering if it's due to the way the vehicle was shut off previously.

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
I seemed to have this problem with my 2018 after about 6 months from new. I held the key fob next to start button. It started easily,. I replaced the key fob battery on a guess. Car is now 3.5 years old and I've not had the problem repeat.

·
Super Moderator
5,075 Posts
Lets ask:
When was your last Brake job?
Who did it?
Did you Bleed in order?
Did you bleed one Calipar or all, and which one's did you start with and ended with?
When you leave the car, are you pumping the Brake?
When was the last time you changed the brake fluid, and with which brand of Dot is used?

Like Power steering, when the car is Off, and wheel unlocked you can turn the wheel, its much harder to do, same goes with the brake, the Master cylinder is allowing the pedal to get hard. so that means check with the master cylinder, see if anything is off on it.

Now the days you were able to get standard stuff on cars Like:
No Ac
no power steer
no power brakes. and the cost was a real savings, but go to sell it, a diff story.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
If you fiddle around in the car long enough before trying to start, it shuts off the electric brake booster to save power. (You can tell this has happened when the faint "click-click" every few seconds stops.) You can either just press harder to get the car started, or, I guess, attempt start a few more times. Opening and shutting a door should also do the trick.

·
Super Moderator
5,075 Posts
Lets say:

Find the Switch, and you can mod it, close the circuit and no more pressing the brake apon start up. then you need to make sure you throw that switch each time, called tampering with a safety feature.

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
1,662 Posts
Get hand controls, in order to keep yourself and any drivers around you safe.
I wouldn't just suggest someone install hand controls. A better solution might be an evaluation by an adaptive driving center to find out if hand controls are right for the situation, or if another solution, like modified pedals or a left-side setup would be the best answer.
It might also be that a seat modification would help.
Most of the adaptive shops around here won't install hand controls without a directive from a doctor or an adaptive driving school. I'm sure some would, or you could buy the kit from Amazon and DIY it. But modifying vehicle controls in any way needs to be approached carefully, with a mind toward both the law and the insurance companies.
Another thing to consider is depending on the type of adaptive equipment you require, it may result in a restriction on your driver's license. Most people want to avoid this if they can, and this can influence the choice of adaptive gear, or the decision to use it at all.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts