Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,130 Posts
Until the OPerator comes Forward with a photo!

·
Registered
2020 CRV Sport
97 Posts
The car is 1 yr old, never had a brake job, It's doesn't seem like a big deal, I was just curious if anyone else had this happen.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
820 Posts
One day, brake and gas pedals will be a thing of the past. Enjoy your freedom to make braking and acceleration decisions now, people.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Everytime I change my car some part of me aches
It takes a while to adjust to any car
With a little bit of practice using the regen paddles and driving looking ahead you hardly ever need to use the brake pedal on a crv hybrid

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
1,710 Posts
Everytime I change my car some part of me aches
It takes a while to adjust to any car
With a little bit of practice using the regen paddles and driving looking ahead you hardly ever need to use the brake pedal on a crv hybrid
With the hybrid you can do a limited version of "one-pedal driving".
Since Sport Mode remembers your regen setting (other modes don't) you can do "press to go, let up to stop", only using the brake pedal when you actually come to a full stop.
If you also use the brake hold feature, you will hardly ever touch the brake pedal.
Be careful of getting too used to brake hold though. I caught myself creeping forward when driving a car without the feature.

·
Registered
471 Posts
"Be careful of getting too used to brake hold though. I caught myself creeping forward when driving a car without the feature."
Without showing my age too much I have driven many cars with cable/rod brakes😂😂😂
And no power steering

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
820 Posts
Power brakes. The brake pedal is stiff and higher up before the motor is turning to engage the power brake pulley. After a few seconds, the pedal will move to it's normal operating position. My 2019 EX has been this way ever since I bought it and all of my prior power braked vehicles have been this way to some extent, as well. Totally normal

I suggest that you not release the parking brake until you are ready to drive away.

·
Super Moderator
5,130 Posts
the days of manual Brakes are over. the power brake is what you are experiencing, quite normal.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
5,084 Posts
Brand new 2021 CRV EX-L is killing my right hip and leg every time I drive it. We’ve made numerous seat and steering wheel adjustments without relief. We finally realized it is because the brake pedal is higher than the accelerator pedal, so I’m not able to leave my heel on the floor and swivel back and forth to accelerate and brake. The motion of having to lift my leg up and down constantly to brake and accelerate is over stressing the quadricep and hip flexor muscles. QUESTION: Is there a way Honda can adjust my brake pedal to lower it, or raise the accelerator pedal, so they are level?
Sorry to hear you are having physical pain from driving.

There is certainly no harm in asking a dealer if they can adjust pedal placement, but don't expect a positive response.

Reason: brake and gas pedals are actually supposed to feel and actuate differently for the general population... by design.. to prohibit exactly what you want to do... slide your foot from pedal to pedal without lifting the foot. This is because there have been too many instances of drivers having severe accidents and root cause tied back to them hitting the accelerator when they were sure they were applying the brakes. So.. this is all about general safety. Motor vehicle companies got raked over the coals over "sudden acceleration" issues with some drivers in past years so they tend to over design to keep brakes and accelerator distinct in feel and operation now days as well.

Now.. you have a physical disability that warrants a deviation from safety standards, especially since you clearly already have an established pattern and habit of doing what you want to do here. Different states have different laws and regulations about modifying key features of driving (steering, brakes, accelerator, etc)... but they generally also have approved rules and regulations for disability related modifications to motor vehicles.

My suggestion is that you seek a professional shop that performs disability related modifications, and contract with them to perform modifications to overcome your particular disability. That way you know it is done safely, reliably, and compliant to local vehicle codes and laws. This should be a pretty straight forward modification, and having a professional perform the work protects you from liability of "doing it yourself" and then something bad happening later on.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
"Be careful of getting too used to brake hold though. I caught myself creeping forward when driving a car without the feature."
Without showing my age too much I have driven many cars with cable/rod brakes😂😂😂
And no power steering
:ROFLMAO: I don't know why.. but the first thing that came to my mind reading your comment, which echoes my own life experience as well ... was something like this:

All cables... no electronics.. and puncture proof tires... but of course the suspension sucks. (y):p And wheel bearings.... who needs 'em! :eek:

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
The before (stiff and high pedal) vs after (pedal depresses normally) is, in my view.. all about the electric brake booster + your startup sequence of finger to start and left foot on brake first. Until the brake booster is fully activated and the engine and all systems are properly started, the brake should feel high and stiff to your foot. The change in brake response you are sharing is simply different states of "on" for various systems in the vehicle. And one key reason it may vary in response to repeated pushes of the brake is that the braking system is still hydraulic in nature, just with electronic assists. You pushing your foot even with the electronics off, can and will push some brake fluid in the system.

I have never had an abnormal issue with mine, but I have had the occasional... "please depress brake before starting" alerts from the vehicle. I finally figured out that my foot was out of sync with my finger in the start up procedure sometimes (ie: the finger pushed the button before the left foot was properly applying force to the brake). A bit of modest retraining on my part and this is no longer an issue for me. :)

If you remain concerned... you can certainly visit your dealer for an evaluation... but I bet if you simply test the brakes during starting on other random CRVs on the lot, you will find the same response and behavior.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,247 Posts
The 5th gen CRVs have electric parking brakes along with electric power assist main brakes ( no vacuum assist as in the past ). This is how they work.
1.When you first get in the car the power assist brakes are not active, that's why the brake pedal is hard to press.
2. When you press the pedal you should have around a 1/4" of pedal play. This allows the pedal to move off the brake switch allowing the PCM to start the car when you press the start button.
3. Once the car starts the electric power brake torque motor is enabled, this can be felt by a much softer pedal feel.
4. If you shut the car off the brake's torque motor remains active for several mins. after the pedal is not pressed. At which point the torque motor turns off and pedal is again hard to press.

From the symptoms you describe to sounds like there is an issue with the brake switch or switch adjustment... or you don't have enough pedal play to release the switch.

·
Triangular Horse Knees
5,174 Posts
No need for two threads covering the brake pedal. Easier to collate responses here.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I must be missing something. I drove a 2018 CRV-EX , since new, until I got the new Touring last month. I never experienced anything you guys are talking about related to brake pedal feel. I never noticed a different feel between start up and regular braking, while driving. Or, there wasn’t a significant enough difference for me to notice. I am retired, but very active and healthy. I am wondering if the way our CR-V’s brakes are set up is industry standard, or if Honda needs to make some changes, so drivers don’t have issues like the OP.

·
Triangular Horse Knees
5,174 Posts
I am wondering if the way our CR-V’s brakes are set up is industry standard
They are.

But as @fishycomics rightly said upthread, test drives are important to determine these things prior to purchase :)

·
Super Moderator
5,130 Posts
They are.

But as @fishycomics rightly said upthread, test drives are important to determine these things prior to purchase :)
SO I want a Honda HR-V. and I go to the Dealership, I ask for a Booklet/Brochure. I scroll through it , then later I go back to the Dealership. if they have the Model, I go in the car, and I sit, for 15-30 minutes.

Yes I spent an Hour at two dealerships. I then come back another time and what do I do?

I sit again

What did I like/dislike, or found out. during the time Mexico, Car assembled in Mexico, sorry, Cheverolet did thesame back then with what a Nova. so why would I put a strike, Honda was a Japanese assembly, no more, I was getting at they had a Big Flood al the plants got flooded, and that put all their cars in a delay, any car that was in production would be in trouble, time will heal.

What I disliked the floor, no carpet, recycled goods, the seats too low, the touchcontrols, on a wet day how on earth can you get things to work, the list can go on, Pop the hood, where the Engine,

So we taken a test drive, I sat in the back, this was in 2017 before the floods, and I was on a Bar, a bench seat, there was no real seat, what if, just what if I kicked the bar, a Obese person, three... so yeah NO we did not buy the car, because we sat down went over the problems

SO if I was going to purchase and say down the road I know exactly what I liked and disliked, then be sold. by a sales person.

$35. grand can about buy a house.

Reactions: williamsji

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,741 Posts
Always something interesting in your videos, @fishycomics ...but a port-a-potty in an H-RV? This is something I can live without! LOL

·
Super Moderator
5,130 Posts
Always something interesting in your videos, @fishycomics ...but a port-a-potty in an H-RV? This is something I can live without! LOL
4 inches measures to the bottom, and 2 inches closer. something no one here takes the time to do. Port a potty huh.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts