Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have read through many archives and now that several years/miles have been driven on various after-market products I am interested in feedback.

I am about to replace my rear rotors/pads and looking at Honda OEM price of $242 ($94/rotor and $54/pads).

Compared to after-market for $110 (Centric rotors @ $37/each and Akebono ProAct pads @ $36).

I have always been a believer in OEM and my current OEM rear brake parts have performed flawlessly.

Have you guys found after-market BRAKES to last as long as OEM? (Excluding Brembo level performance products which are certsinly superior).

All responses appreciated.

·
Registered
774 Posts
As a generality, I have no problem with after market parts - depends on which part and the manufacturer !! Lots of great a-m brake parts IMO. Craig

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As a generality, I have no problem with after market parts - depends on which part and the manufacturer !! Lots of great a-m brake parts IMO. Craig
Any chance you have experience with either of these a-m brake components?

I have read many posts about rotor warpage, premature wear and poor fit using a-m and I have never read even one post where this was an issue with Honda products.

Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I've used Akebono pads before w/o any issues - no experience with those rotors. I'm sure you can find some product reviews somewhere on the InterLinks !! Craig

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I have read many reviews but they are typically written within 3K miles of install. I am hoping to get feedback after several years/miles of service. The last time I used an a-m brake pad several years ago the pad separated from the backing plate after about 7K miles.

The reviews on Akebono have been similar to your own experience...thanks.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I agree with Craig about the different qualities of a-m products they vary in quality & price. Centric & Akebono are good brand. Especially Akebono some Asian brand uses Akebono as an OEM supplier. I believe Honda & Mitsubishi are one of them. They key in preventing the rotor warp is properly torquing the wheel & lubing the sliders properly with Synthetic brake lube & making sure that the pads do not bind on the brake shims are cleaned properly to seat on the bracket. Another good brand is Wagner. If you can get Ceramic pads the better. Closely also inspect the rubber boots for rips & tears. Also be gentle in breaking it in for the first few hundred miles on the new brake pads.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Otto,
All good practices.

I did read that the 2004 OEM brake pad is ceramic but I have not seen one to confirm.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Yea, that first couple hundred miles are critical - don't wanna glaze the pads. For years, I bought all my Saab maintenance parts from a European parts company in CT - eEuroparts - never had a problem as I felt they wouldn't stay in business selling junk !! Otto and I agree - Wagner has been around forever - companies like Moog, NGK etc etc are great companies. BTW, if a brake pad is metallic, great stopping power but may well squeal like mad. Use whatever, install carefully and correctly and you'll be fine. Torque the wheels after the job is complete !! Craig

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the great responses.

I am inclined to think that the Akebono pads are going to be quality competitive with the Honda. I suppose my next step is to compare warranty between the different products and retailers.

Rotors are a very different critter, IMHO, ever since China entered the picture with their often lower quality steel. I don't know if the Honda OEM rotors are still manufactured in Japan but my original factory rotors were. Warpage can be the result of poor installation but it is very often the result of physical characteristics of the rotor itself.

In addition, so many of the a-m rotors are drilled and slotted and although these designs are essential for racing/rallye applications, I don't see any advantage in modest driving practices. In fact, it could be argued that the loss of surface area that results from drilling and slotting actually makes them less effective at stopping under normal driving conditions when overheating is not an issue.

I do agree with all of you guys that proper installation practices are essential and I would guess this is one of the main reasons we all choose to turn our own wrenches vs. taking our vehicles to a shop.

·
Registered
774 Posts
No offense, but you're giving it way too much thought IMO !! I had a guy at eEuro that would tell me if asked what he thought about different products. He drove Saabs as well and often gave me reviews of what he had used which was all I needed if I was unfamiliar with it !! They all need repeat business so in theory shouldn't mislead you !! Craig

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I'm 68 and have been doing my own brake work all my life. The last time I used OEM parts was .......NEVER. I've never had any problems. Anyway, OEM parts are made by the same people who make aftermarket parts. They sell them to the manufacturers based on bids that meet the OEM specifications. You will notice that many of the ads say "built to OEM specifications". Guess how they know the specifications........They either make them or they bid on the contract and didn't win.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
No offense, but you're giving it way too much thought IMO !! I had a guy at eEuro that would tell me if asked what he thought about different products. He drove Saabs as well and often gave me reviews of what he had used which was all I needed if I was unfamiliar with it !! They all need repeat business so in theory shouldn't mislead you !! Craig
My concern is that the priorities of a "shop" are often not aligned with my own priorities. For example, a shop is looking for a balance between highest profit margin, ease of obtaining parts, relationships with certain wholesale suppliers, and relying on the fact that the average car owner will have likely traded in their vehicle in a couple years before the cheaper a-m part has prematurely failed compared to my OEM.

Thanks again for your responses.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm 68 and have been doing my own brake work all my life. The last time I used OEM parts was .......NEVER. I've never had any problems. Anyway, OEM parts are made by the same people who make aftermarket parts. They sell them to the manufacturers based on bids that meet the OEM specifications. You will notice that many of the ads say "built to OEM specifications". Guess how they know the specifications........They either make them or they bid on the contract and didn't win.
I suppose it depends much on application and the particular demands of each driver. From my own experience I would say about 20% of the aftermarkets are of a comparable quality as OEM.

However, the idea that an after-market part is equal to a Honda part simply because it comes from the same manufacturer is not correct. The QA/QC is most always to a higher standard when it carries the Honda, Audi, Ford, Mercedes, etc. name. Plus a manufacturer can be a supplier to several different "brands" and each of these competing brands will provide the manufacturer with a specific price-point and the quality of materials and manufacture will be modified to meet that price point. This can even be seen when a single retailer will have three grades of brake shoes/pads of "Good", "Better" & "Best".

I work in the Alaska Arctic in severe duty conditions and we see this every day and that is why I have always done a decent amount of Due Diligence prior to purchasing parts.

Granted, I don't use my CR-V under severe duty applications but the longstanding habits of only using top quality components is still useful when I am installing parts on a vehicle that transports my loved ones.

Thanks again for all of your responses. I was really looking for specific details on Centric rotors--not so much advice on how to shop for parts.

I don't mean any disrespect and I hope that none will be taken.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I certainly didn't mean to ruffle any feathers but only to exchange experiences and ideas with fellow CR-V enthusiasts.
Just because my experience has differed from anyone here should not be taken as an insult because I certainly didn't mean it that way when I typed it.

Some guys are aftermarket guys, some guys are strictly Honda parts counter guys and there are alot of guys in between. None of us are right or wrong, we each base our positions on our own unique needs and experiences. Thats why these forums are great.

Mostly, lets just try and find some common ground...we all love our CR-V.

I have decided to go with the proven Honda rear brake rotors. My first ones lasted 160K miles.

Thanks again to each of you who took the time to respond.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have used a couple of aftermarket parts on both my Fit and my previous Forester. Particularly speaking for Powerstop rotors and Akebono pads. They work good and if I must say even a bit better than OEM.
My only complain about the Akebono pads is that they produce a lot of dust, but maybe because I'm using the carbon ceramic ones. I can't speak for the normal OE replacements.

Warping, glazing, etc. will only depend on the install and how you break-in the new parts. I've seen a lot of mistakes here where people install new pads and rotors without properly breaking them in, then realizing a couple of hundred kilometers down the road their brakes have heat spots, glazed, warping, etc.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Well that certainly seems like an over-reaction.

I am sorry if I hurt your feelings.
You didn't bruise my ego whatsoever. Working in the Arctic is a unique situation that obviously requires a part not to fail - period !! We get it. The vast majority of us here drive in very mundane conditions which don't necessarily require a platinum part when silver is plenty good enough. Nobody wants to see anybody's family put in any kind of danger ever (I'm waiting for our controlling gov't to legislate crash helmets for all passengers and driver sooner than later). Your employer probably has a large wallet to buy premium plus - not necessarily the case here.
If you feel that strongly, I'm surprised you ever get on an airplane !! Every time you get a new car, do you disassemble it, magnaflux all suspension pieces and reassemble using only American-made Gr8 bolts ?? Highly unlikely. There's a reason that all cars now have dual master cylinders - redundant in the event of a failure !!
If you're going to jump on a forum and ask for opinions, you get the accumulation of everyone's experience !! Maybe Coastie who's on active duty with the Coast Guard and probably has a $600 hammer on board - maybe two comes close to your situation !! By all means, do what you feel is best for your situation, but be prepared for answers to questions that you don't agree with - that's why they call it a Forum. Good luck. Craig

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm in the middle of doing pads and rotors all around, I'm using EBS green stuff and non-drilled. Will report back in 20K....
Much Appreciated Recoil ;-)

...might help the next guy make a decision.

I wound up ordering genuine Honda parts at AllDiscountParts.com out of Boulder, CO. (Not sure if its OK to post a website on this forum so please delete if against the rules.)

They had the lowest online prices out of every website I could find for genuine Honda parts including Amazon & Ebay with a total cost of $200 plus shipping.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts