Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently finished changing out brake pads and rotors and flushing brake fluid on my wife’s 2014 CR-V. The job went pretty smoothly and didn’t have many issues getting old parts off or new parts on. So I thought...

Went for a quick drive around the block this morning and heard a horrible low pitched grinding noise coming from drivers side rear rotor.

I pulled back in, got it up on stands, and took the wheel off to diagnose. I was able to spin the rotor, but it was very difficult and it was still grinding. So I took off the caliper and mounting bracket thinking I just needed to add more grease to the slider pins. Even with those off, the rotor still was difficult to spin and made the grinding noise I heard earlier. I couldn’t quite tell where the grinding was coming from, so I put the old rotor back on and had the same issue. I also swapped the new rotor onto the other rear side, still had the grinding noise on the drivers side and the passenger side was perfect. So it was in the hub/plate assembly on the drivers side, not in the rotor.

I suspected that the rotor was grinding against the raised lip on the backing plate, so I marked up the back side of the rotor that fits over the lip on the backing plate with a paint marker and spun the rotor a few times. It made the grinding noise and sure enough, I found paint on the lip of the backing plate and gouges in the groove of the rotor. At first I thought it might be the parking brake shoe that was contacting, so I adjusted it all the way in. Definitely the rotor contacting that backing plate, after seeing the paint mark and gouges in the rotor in that groove. I’ve also tried tapping the backing plate with a dead blow to see if it moves or is able to push it back at all. Didn’t seem to move at all.

The other 3 wheels have no issues and all spin freely. This wheel didn’t have this issue before (other than rough rotors and thin pads), but now it even grinds when I put the old rotor back on. Is there a spacer or something attached to the hub that I’m missing? I’m assuming it would be bad put it all back on and hope it grinds down to where they don’t contact anymore.

I’m hesitant to take apart the parking brake assembly and remove the hub to replace the backing plate if I don’t have to. Seems pretty complex and a lot longer of a job than I bargained for.

Any ideas or suggestions you might have are extremely appreciated. Thanks for your help! Pic of backing plate with the protruding lip in question below.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,451 Posts
No, there isn't any spacer on the hub.

If the backing plate is just bent, you can just push the backing plate away from the rotor a mm or two if it rubs. It is thin sheet metal.

Does that lip (pictured) fit into a corresponding groove in the rotor? On our old Fit, corrosion had built up in the groove of the drum and caused noise. I had to grind the rust out with a Dremel and paint it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ll see if I can bend it out at all. I’m thinking an option could be to grind that lip down a little bit and paint it?

Yes. The lip on the backing plate fits into a groove on the rotor. The groove in the rotor has a gouge in it where it is contacting.

·
Registered
571 Posts
is the rotor the right one for the car? you might have gotten one that is not the right part. or you bent the lip. you can take a block or wood and pound the lip until the rubbing stops

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,451 Posts
Puzzling thing, is that the OP said it grinds when the original rotor was re-installed.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yes. Something got "slightly" bent.

I would also use a block of wood and hammer to bend it back. And if that only slightly helps, use a 4" hand grinder to grind a little. I've done this on my one boat trailer backing plate and it worked great. Especially if it only needs a very minor "tweaking" improvement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts