Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAIR-OF-2-PREMIUM-FRONT-DISC-BRAKE-ROTORS-NEW-SET-KIT-FOR-LEFT-AND-RIGHT-SIDE-/191294516838?fits=Year%3A2013%7CMake%3AHonda%7CModel%3ACR-V&hash=item2c8a0aae66&vxp=mtr

Going to need brakes soon @ 77k miles on my 2013 AWD. I am not doing the labor, but my dealer said customers can bring their own parts. I figure if these rotors are any good they would be the cost of what places charge to cut a pair.

What is the expert opinion of buying aftermarket rotors? I was thinking OEM pads or equivalent, nothing fancy to avoid squeaks.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
I'd say buy OEM everything. You can't go wrong with OEM. Brakes are going to save your life, so I wouldn't buy cheap ebay stuff IMO.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Aftermarket rotors sometimes warp very quickly, one panic stop and it starts.
I am currently running a set of drilled and slotted rotors from a company in Canada that have been working well,
http://www.amazon.com/Max-Advanced-Brakes/b/ref=bl_dp_s_web_10115986011?ie=UTF8&node=10115986011&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=Max+Advanced+Brakes

I have had them on for maybe 3 thousand miles so far and no issues. I did this because we live in Seattle and folks here ride the brakes allot all the way down hills. Since its my wife's car I decided to get something that could handle heat. But I will admit its too early to tell. The car is an 03 CRV AWD and has about 150K miles.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I have bought a set of outer tie rod ends and a set of front stabilizer links for my 2000 from that ebay seller (Prime Choice Auto Parts) and they seem fine so far. If you look a little harder I bet you could find a combo set that has the pads too for about the same price. RockAuto is another place worth checking, but Prime Choice seems to have a good deal on a lot of stuff if you buy sets.

They also have a web site you can look at for all their parts for your vehicle.
http://www.primechoiceautoparts.com/

·
Registered
786 Posts
First, make sure you really need new rotors. If the current set don't vibrate when stopping and are well above minimum thickness, just a pad swap would suffice.

If you do need new rotors I guess OEM would be a good choice. But as I've learned, OEM replacement rotors are not necessarily the same as the rotors that came on the car when it was new, so top-quality aftermarket replacements are a viable alternative.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I just changed front rotors and pads on 2011 crv -used Centric premium rotors and Centric posi-quiet ceramic pads -have used these on many vehicles with good results -reasonable prices from ebay sellers -most of whom are large parts stores and dealers -centric also owns Stop-tech .

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
I buy aftermarket brake parts from a local autocrats store, far cheaper than OEM and I've never had problems with them in 40 years of doing it this way. I do my own work. On my previous car (Scion xB), the dealer wanted $485 for a rotor, I paid about $75.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
If this is the first time pads are needed, I'd really be surprised if you also need rotors.
I'd look at them carefully and then decide if just putting new pads on and 'seating' them carefully wouldn't be good enough. Breaking in the pads to the old rotors shouldn't be hard to do if you're careful about how you go about it.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is there a difference between the front rotors on AWD and FWD versions? I see them online and some saw AWD others say FWD. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Centric rotors are as good as OEM. I got tired of the OEM rear rotors warping on my Accord (they're notorious for this) and tried a set of Centric premium rotors. Seem to be working well so far.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts