Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
All these started having problems at the same time. The warnings came up one after another, Lane Keeping Assist Sensor Problems, Road Departure Mitigation Senor Problems, Collision Mitigation Braking System Senor Problems Adaptive Cruise Control all blew up at the same. I know Honda probably has NO IDEAL why this is happening and NO IDEAL what the fix is but this seems to be significant issue. Has anyone had this problem and been able resolve it without having to spend large sums of money on a new car? 2018 Cr-V 30,000 one buys a car and hope that SAFETY FEATURES are there for their benefit and they are the first to FAIL.

I had this same problem intermittently on my 2017 a few months ago. They fixed it under warranty. All these issues are related to a sensor, and I think that sensor just got readjusted.

·
Registered
21 Posts
All these started having problems at the same time. The warnings came up one after another, Lane Keeping Assist Sensor Problems, Road Departure Mitigation Senor Problems, Collision Mitigation Braking System Senor Problems Adaptive Cruise Control all blew up at the same. I know Honda probably has NO IDEAL why this is happening and NO IDEAL what the fix is but this seems to be significant issue. Has anyone had this problem and been able resolve it without having to spend large sums of money on a new car? 2018 Cr-V 30,000 one buys a car and hope that SAFETY FEATURES are there for their benefit and they are the first to FAIL.
Yup, had that one, too. Every night.
They said it was the camera.
Along with no cabin heat, inability to clear the windows, and fuel in the oil,
I traded it in for a non-Honda shortly after.

·
Registered
114 Posts
One would think that with technology today, the system would tell you that one of your sensors / cameras / radars are likely dirty, instead of lighting up your dash like a Christmas tree.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
One would think that with technology today, the system would tell you that one of your sensors / cameras / radars are likely dirty, instead of lighting up your dash like a Christmas tree.
Generally.. the vehicle knows.. but the actual diagnosis is in the OBDII data.. where it belongs.

The purpose of the warning lights is so the owner knows that the vehicle has a malfunction and needs to be serviced.

Any owner who is interested, can hook up an OBDII reader and it generally will tell you the problem, at least in the advanced code categories for Honda if your OBDII reader is not just a cheap generic.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well, if I get a speck of snow on the front radar plastic cover, which occurs a few times a month where I live, the system tells me that all systems malfunctioned. Some people will understandably go to their dealer, when they simply need to clean out the radar cover. Relying on ODB readers to diagnose simple issues as a snowy radar cover is something that the car industry has to get away from as cars are becoming more software centric with more complex systems. These protocols and diagnostic methods were designed long before cars had information screens in them.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Well, if I get a speck of snow on the front radar plastic cover, which occurs a few times a month where I live, the system tells me that all systems malfunctioned. Some people will understandably go to their dealer, when they simply need to clean out the radar cover. Relying on ODB readers to diagnose simple issues as a snowy radar cover is something that the car industry has to get away from as cars are becoming more software centric with more complex systems. These protocols and diagnostic methods were designed long before cars had information screens in them.
The first step to diagnosis a problem should be to check the owners manual. It's a rather large document with plenty of useful information in it. For example in your particular case I see:

Blind spot information (BSI) Indicator
Comes on when mud, snow, or ice accumulates in the vicinity of sensor.
Remove the obstacle in the vicinity of sensor.

Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with Low Speed Follow (LSF) Indicator (Amber)
May come on when driving in bad weather (rain, snow, fog, etc.)
When the radar sensor gets dirty, stop your vehicle in a safe place, and wipe off dirt using a soft cloth.

Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS) Indicator (Green)
Comes on when the area around the camera is blocked by dirt, mud, etc.
Stop your vehicle in a safe place, and wipe it off with a soft cloth.
May come on when driving in bad weather (rain, snow, fog, etc.)

Auto High-Beam System
The auto high-beam system determines when to change the headlight beams by responding to the brightness of the lights ahead of your vehicle. In the following cases, the system may not respond to the lights properly:
Visibility is poor due to the weather (rain, snow, fog, windshield frost, etc.).

ACC with LSF Conditions and Limitations
The system may automatically shut off and the ACC indicator will come on under certain conditions. Some examples of these conditions are listed below. Other conditions may reduce some of the ACC functions.
Driving in bad weather (rain, fog, snow, etc.).
Driving on a snowy or wet roadway (obscured lane marking, vehicle tracks, reflected lights, road spray, high contrast).
The outside of the windshield is blocked by dirt, mud, leaves, wet snow, etc.

The beeper sounds and a message appears on the driver information interface when ACC with LSF is automatically canceled. Any of these conditions may cause the ACC with LSF to automatically cancel:
Bad weather (rain, fog, snow, etc.)

RDM Conditions and Limitations
Driving on a snowy or wet roadway (obscured lane marking, vehicle tracks, reflected lights, road spray, high contrast).
The outside of the windshield is streaked or blocked by dirt, mud, leaves, wet snow, etc.

The LKAS Conditions and Limitations
The outside of the windshield is streaked or blocked by dirt, mud, leaves, wet snow, etc.

etc

·
Registered
21 Posts
Had this happen today out of the blue. Camera firmware updated, radar recalibrated. Weird, but the only time you'll ever find truly bug-free software is in the aerospace industry, and even then modern air and space craft are so complex that they've got issues sometimes. (Ask Boeing...)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same issue driving home one night from work with my 2018 CR-V. Took the car to the dealer and found out that the camera module had failed. The modules were on back order and it took almost a month to get a replacement (this was last February). Was given a loaner 4WD Ridgeline to drive while waiting for the part. I liked the truck.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The first step to diagnosis a problem should be to check the owners manual. It's a rather large document with plenty of useful information in it. For example in your particular case I see:
I agree - the info is likely there in the owner's manual. But manufacturers need to think outside the box - we are in 2020. Cars have the capability now of providing the required information to the user in an efficient manner. UI / UX can make or break a product these days. Have you been in a Tesla lately? They understand that UI / UX is a huge factor moving forward. The legacy car manufacturers, including Honda, haven't understood the message. The UI in the CR-V is sad - very inefficient when it comes to changing views on the dashboard, etc..

·
Registered
25 Posts
I did have those issues the first 6 months of owning my 2018 Touring. Now at just over one year I’ve been lucky to no longer experience them. I do believe it is a software issue. Make the dealer address the issue. Could be dangerous out on the road.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thank you for this important fact based information. I drive the 495 beltway daily and if my car slows or stops unexpectedly I could die. Thank you.
That's a bit over-dramatic. If you don't feel safe driving it, TOW IT as the person suggested! Sheesh! Do you guys have any "common sense" anymore?

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Two words for a situation like you describe --> Owners Manual...

...which does in fact inform owners as to what things to check when they see warning alerts go off. This includes how to deal with HondaSensing and specifically the millimeter radar array.

So.. an OBDII is not required for this.. just the owners manual and the ability to read and understand. That said.. OBDII readers are going to become ubiquitous with even average non enthusiast owners in the coming years.. for precisely the reasons you feel they should not be needed. There is a reason there are a wide variety available at low cost now days.. and not just the expensive purview of mechanics and dealerships.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This happened on my 2017, I went straight to the dealer and they replaced the fuel injectors. All has been fine for almost two years. Except for the oil dilution but Honda says that is not a problem?

prt

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
This happened on my 2017, I went straight to the dealer and they replaced the fuel injectors. All has been fine for almost two years. Except for the oil dilution but Honda says that is not a problem?

prt
Your fuel injectors caused a problem with the driving assist functions?

·
Registered
20 Posts
One night all of my safety features turned off due to a brake system failure (what the dash said). Took it to the dealer the next morning.
A) Dealer said that they could see that there had been a fault.
B) Honda America said there is nothing wrong.
C) Dealer said they noted it for when it fails again.

·
Registered
41 Posts
**2017 CRV EX-L with Nav & Turbo. When I had a similar issue with many warning lights coming on, it was related to a battery issue. Once the battery was replaced everything cleared up. Of course don't replace the battery unless it tests bad.

·
Registered
122 Posts
For the 2nd time in 4 months my 2018 CRV EX started flashing system failure warnings this afternoon - every conceivable system said it had failed. My 17 year old daughter - who I have use this car because of the active safety features - called in a panic, pulled over on the side of a busy highway afraid to drive the car any further. After a brief discussion I recognized that this was the ridiculous Honda "Cascading Warnings" scenario where one failure shuts down all the safety systems - and advised her to get off the busy highway (where she could have been hit/side-swiped by a passing car) and drive straight home. I took it to the dealer and the same code as last time came up - "Failed rear wheel speed sensor". So they will have it until Friday - and when I get it back I'll assume this will continue again and again until I sell it. Between this issue, the oil dilution and multiple cracked windshields - I really wish someone would steal and torch this car so I can buy something else with the insurance money. I was once a loyal Honda owner - but those days are over!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nothing to do with cabin temp or fuel in oil. Camera is located below the big H badge on the front of the car. Had mine replaced FOC.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For the 2nd time in 4 months my 2018 CRV EX started flashing system failure warnings this afternoon - every conceivable system said it had failed. My 17 year old daughter - who I have use this car because of the active safety features - called in a panic, pulled over on the side of a busy highway afraid to drive the car any further. After a brief discussion I recognized that this was the ridiculous Honda "Cascading Warnings" scenario where one failure shuts down all the safety systems - and advised her to get off the busy highway (where she could have been hit/side-swiped by a passing car) and drive straight home. I took it to the dealer and the same code as last time came up - "Failed rear wheel speed sensor". So they will have it until Friday - and when I get it back I'll assume this will continue again and again until I sell it. Between this issue, the oil dilution and multiple cracked windshields - I really wish someone would steal and torch this car so I can buy something else with the insurance money. I was once a loyal Honda owner - but those days are over!
I sold my 2018 CR-V after doing some research. It was typically be used for a 10 minute commute. So, not an ideal match. Plus I didn't want to run an ongoing single subject experiment to see if oil dilution will affect the longevity of the motor. Sticking with my 2004 Element for now. It was hit by a streetcar and survived (I wasn't driving!)

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Nothing to do with cabin temp or fuel in oil. Camera is located below the big H badge on the front of the car. Had mine replaced FOC.
The millimeter radar is behind the H badge on the front. Prone to temporary failure due to build up of snow or ice on the front surface that protects the emitter/receiver.

The camera is located up near the rear view mirror on the inside of the windshield... behind a plastic cover plate.

Cabin temperature, or prolonged direct radiated heat from direct sunlight exposure CAN cause the camera to temporarily report failure... but Honda manual says to just let the cabin cool off and the camera will return to normal operation.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts