Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife just got stranded with our 11 month old 2018 EX-L.

The dashboard cycles through a list of problems related to the brake system. Anyone encountered this?

Tow truck guys is concerned he can’t tow it to Honda dealer with brakes set. (I’m not there. I’m getting this all via text)

Will update you guys on what happens but figured I would crowd source diagnose the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
395 Posts
My wife just got stranded with our 11 month old 2018 EX-L. The dashboard cycles through a list of problems related to the brake system. Anyone encountered this?

Tow truck guys is concerned he can’t tow it to Honda dealer with brakes set. (I’m not there. I’m getting this all via text) Will update you guys on what happens but figured I would crowd source diagnose the problem.
With brake problems I would get a flatbed tow truck. There is no way to know what the issue is.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With brake problems I would get a flatbed tow truck. There is no way to know what the issue is.
Thanks. Turns out he was able to jump start car and everything worked. My wife drove it to dealer and parked in wrong lot and now it’s dead again with same errors.

Is this just a battery issue or something worse? (She is now getting other error messages she says like keyless remote not detected)

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
She should definitely take a pic of the dash in the current state, so when it invevitably doesn't reoccur for the dealer, there will be a record.

Call Honda Roadside assistance and let them deal with it.

EDIT: Never mind; missed the note about getting to the dealer.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Glad she was able to get to the dealer. Don't know what is wrong, shade tree mechanics here cannot test it like they can. Good luck.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. I just got to dealer myself so wide can take my car and pick up daughter from neighbor.

Dealer had nerve to suggest that it could be my wife’s fault. I called him on it and he softened saying that something like a rodent chewing a wire would not be there responsibility.

May be just be bad battery the tech thinks. If so, I’d think that Honda should have programmed system to behave better under low voltage and give better messaging.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the exact same problem last night! My car is exactly the same as well......2018 EX-L about 11 months old. I get 3 brake malfunctions that show up on the dash. Car wont start but will after several attempts over a 10 min span. Once going it ran fine......but when i pulled over to get gas....same issue. Was at the gas station for like 10 minutes trying to get the car going. Going to take it in the dealer tomorrow.

Another thing i noticed.....the rear trunk wont open unless i do it manually. Im guessing its related.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Mine did same thing, it was bad cell in battery. Dealer replaced it no questions. All good after that.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Disconnecting and reconnecting the battery creates many warnings, which clear themselves once the vehicle is driven a few blocks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I had the exact same problem last night! My car is exactly the same as well......2018 EX-L about 11 months old. I get 3 brake malfunctions that show up on the dash. Car wont start but will after several attempts over a 10 min span. Once going it ran fine......but when i pulled over to get gas....same issue. Was at the gas station for like 10 minutes trying to get the car going. Going to take it in the dealer tomorrow.

Another thing i noticed.....the rear trunk wont open unless i do it manually. Im guessing its related.
very disquieting that the battery could fail so catastrophically...never had that happen before. my wife had just shut the car off 2-3 minutes previously, so its not like she left the lights on. and she drives a lot...so it's not as if the battery hasn't had ample opportunity to be charged by the alternator.

anyway, was really miffed by the service associate who had no customer service tact in that he at first told my wife that she could be at fault and would have to bill her for $160 until the diagnostics were done. he knew i was pissed and afterward apologized and humbly asked how he should share this "policy" with customers.

i do hope this was the real solution and that there isn't something else going on... the Honda RAssist driver was really poor in dispensing advice. after jump starting my wife's car, he argued with me (over the phone) that everything was fine and she should just drive off as if nothing happened since it jump started immediately which suggested to him that the battery was fine. i vehemently disagreed and sent my wife to the dealer. she had a brain fart and parked in the wrong place. and when she went to restart the car, it again wouldn't start --- same brake warnings and then an added message of not sensing the keyless remote.

finally, how's this for a strange occurrence: just in front of where my wife parked (she was picking up our daughter and a friend from school), a same colored 2018 EX-L AWD had to be jump started too. (yet this guys CRV didn't give any of the brake system warnings...it just wouldn't start)...

again, there must be a slew of bad batteries (i hope), else there is something else worse lurking...

anyway, thanks for everyone's commiseration and advice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
very disquieting that the battery could fail so catastrophically...never had that happen before. my wife had just shut the car off 2-3 minutes previously, so its not like she left the lights on. and she drives a lot...so it's not as if the battery hasn't had ample opportunity to be charged by the alternator.

anyway, was really miffed by the service associate who had no customer service tact in that he at first told my wife that she could be at fault and would have to bill her for $160 until the diagnostics were done. he knew i was pissed and afterward apologized and humbly asked how he should share this "policy" with customers.

i do hope this was the real solution and that there isn't something else going on... the Honda RAssist driver was really poor in dispensing advice. after jump starting my wife's car, he argued with me (over the phone) that everything was fine and she should just drive off as if nothing happened since it jump started immediately which suggested to him that the battery was fine. i vehemently disagreed and sent my wife to the dealer. she had a brain fart and parked in the wrong place. and when she went to restart the car, it again wouldn't start --- same brake warnings and then an added message of not sensing the keyless remote.

finally, how's this for a strange occurrence: just in front of where my wife parked (she was picking up our daughter and a friend from school), a same colored 2018 EX-L AWD had to be jump started too. (yet this guys CRV didn't give any of the brake system warnings...it just wouldn't start)...

again, there must be a slew of bad batteries (i hope), else there is something else worse lurking...

anyway, thanks for everyone's commiseration and advice.

Brought the car to the dealer this morning and they knew right away it was the battery. Battery failed every test.......they replaced the battery under warranty and my car is back to normal.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Brought the car to the dealer this morning and they knew right away it was the battery. Battery failed every test.......they replaced the battery under warranty and my car is back to normal.
Glad you are back on the road. it was interesting that you were able to get yours going after 10 minutes of trying (i presume cycling the system on and off)

still amazed that the battery failed in that sort of catastrophic fashion. i only have my own experience and that of friends but i have never experienced something like that before on a new battery. of course, the misinformation on the dash compounded the confusion/surprise...

·
Registered
2,185 Posts

--SNIP--
Yes it's not a great feeling but it's not uncommon. I have seen it happen to guys within two days of buying a new battery. It is almost always caused by a cracked cell plate.
The reason your wife's CRV was fine until she shut it off was because the alternator was keeping the system voltage normal. Once she shut if off the battery voltage probably dropped down to 11.x volts due to the bad cell. The cracked cell problem typically happens if you drop in a deep pothole, the jolt may break a cell connection or make the connection flimsy. It also does not help that most batteries that come with vehicles in this price range are not exactly top of the line stuff.
Some of the guys at our club that have to drive on bad roads will put padding under the battery to help absorb the jolts.

Rob

·
Registered
5 Posts

The dashboard cycles through a list of problems related to the brake system. Anyone encountered this?

Tow truck guys is concerned he can’t tow it to Honda dealer with brakes set. (I’m not there. I’m getting this all via text)

Will update you guys on what happens but figured I would crowd source diagnose the problem.

Yep, bad battery. I had exact same thing. Bad battery. Could not figure out why it said there was a brake problem. Thought there was a computer problem. Got it to run by jump starting and took it right to dealer. Never had a battery go bad in only 10 months. The whole dash messages cycling was very confusing. But now I know.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for posting. I had same issue. Would not have thought to jump it. Worked, got a new battery.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
About this Discussion
33 Replies
18 Participants
williamsji
Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums
Honda CR-V Owners Club forum, the best hang-out to discuss CVT, Hybrids, trim levels and all things CR-V
Full Forum Listing