Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello CRV Owners...

I just bought a 2014 AWD LX with Twilight Blue color. I love driving it on freeways and even inside the city. But, I am suffering from a bad fuel economy. I bought this vehicle 2 days ago. It has so far driven only about 50 miles. The salesman at the the dealership sold me this car with a full tank of gas, but I have burnt more than about a quarter ( 1/4th ) of it. On the dash it shows about 16 to 18 mpg even on the highway with ECON mode ON. Is it true of this car? I know it's a brand new vehicle, but I also don't drive rough. I live and work in the suburbs where traffic is very normal. But, 16 mpg is terrifying with ECON Mode ON all time. I am still rethinking: did I make a right purchase? I asked the dealership today about this. The service team had no clue about low mpg issue.

I hope you guys may help me on this.

Thank You...

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
There have been some posts here about low mpg. Some have said that once the car is broken in more the mpg improves. A lot has to do with how you drive it of course. Where you live has an impact also. Meaning if you have a lot of hills, mpg will suffer.

I average 25 - 27 with stop and go traffic and some highway. But when I'm on back roads of my neighborhood with a lot of hills, I can drop to 20 mpg. I've yet to take an all highway trip yet so I can't say if I'll do better than what I'm getting now on average.

So it's too early to say if it's your new vehicle. I would keep driving it, watch the eco assist and enjoy it for now. See how it goes after a couple of hundred miles.

I've also tried with and without the econ button and haven't found it makes a big difference in my case because of the are I live in and the type of traffic I encounter each day.

Good luck with your new V :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Two days and 50 miles are hardly a fair test. Give it some time to break in and adjust to your driving habits. As the other poster said, driving habits, hills and traffic will effect mileage. I'm confident yours will improve.

·
Registered
100 Posts
You need to let the engine break in, at about 5000 miles you'll get the right fuel economy.

My 2013 gets 26mpg combined 60% City, 40% Hwy

It used to get 19mpg combined.

Also, I'm not sure where you're from, but if the engine is not broken in, and there's winter temperatures, you can expect the fuel economy to be awful until warmer temperatures kick in.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
My 2013 gets 26mpg combined 60% City, 40% Hwy
Are you using the econ button at all? I still go back and forth about using or not as I haven't seen too much a difference between on or off.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have it on, haven't noticed any difference between having it on or off.

I just turn it off in the summer for the AC

·
Registered
460 Posts
I get pretty good mpg without break in :eek:

The worst I got was 21.3 MPG because of short 10 minute drive a few times. To bad it is winter and use of front defroster as well as heat has drop my highway mpg from 28-29 average to 27 mpg.. not to mention winter gas.. You can see my fuelly profile. Since someone I know has a job I have been driving him to and from work. I find myself getting gas about once a week now. 38 mile round trip per day.

I wonder if I reach the official break in miles if I will get even better MPG.. right now I don't drive efficient at all.. well efficient on the streets because I am a safe driver.. angel_emote_by_bladehawk949-d4j5prp.gif . When I am on highway, I go 75 MPH average...

By the way.. I drive like I drove my old car... which isn't saying much because it was low on power and I always pretty heavy with the pedal.. Avoid breaking and applying gas one right after each other. This includes turns and stop and go traffic.

It never amazes me to see people driving recklessly in and out of traffic to save time and for me to still see them and sometimes even pass them. They waste so much gas and work there brakes so hard..

If your someone who does tons of short trips <10 minute drives then fuel economy will hurt. Also winter gas doesn't help also. I say when you fill up again reset your trip computer and see what you get on the second tank.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Don't rule out that something may be wrong with the fuel consumption metering and/or the input of that consumption signal to the computer.

Real-time fuel consumption metering device/gauge ... How the heck does it work?

Edit: I Googled (but still have not found a really good source) that what actually is measured is how long the fuel injectors are open.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I have had my ECON Mode On since I drove out of dealership and I am not planning to turn it off any sooner.

So far I have also driven safe and smooth at speeds of 60 to 70 mph... But, still it has only been 4 days and 106 miles so far. Half the tank is already over.

I live in Boston, MA. The winter is supposed to begin. :( Let me cross my fingers for better fuel mileage in coming months.

Thanks you for all the suggestions. It gives some mental relief. :)

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Based on my experience with our '13 EX and driving it with the ECO on, I'd hazard a guess that if you're keeping up with normal traffic as far as acceleration from stop lights/signs, and just driving around in general, you won't see much improvement until you switch it off to see how it effects the way the car works. I know if I was to drive my car with the ECO on and drive it the way traffic is around our neighborhood, I'd be getting bad mileage too. Once you understand how the ECO works under everyday driving conditions I think you'll be able to take advantage of it, to the benefit of your mileage.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just can't believe the terrible mileage we're getting. We live on Long Island (no hills to speak of) and with 1/2 city, 1/2 highway, we're averaging about 21mpg with ECO on. I was told to expect around 24-25 in mixed driving. Very disappointed. Our Acura TSX wagon got better mileage.

My wife does most of the driving (it's our family car) and I have a suspicion that using the ECO mode actually results in her trying to drive the car harder, probably putting the foot down more because of the throttle recalibration. I don't know how much else the ECO mode affects, but I wonder if it was unselected if we'd actually get better mileage? We have about 2000 miles on the car so far and haven't wanted to turn off ECO for fear of getting even worse mileage.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi sportdriver,

Did the saleman explained the feature of the V when you first take the it? If so, it is normal you had a bad fuel economy. It happened to me too. The saleman explained the details to you with the engine running. It used a lot of gas but the milage is zero. That is why a poor fuel economy. After several weeks, it will be back to normal

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
We have about 2000 miles on the car so far and haven't wanted to turn off ECO for fear of getting even worse mileage.
Only one way to find out ;) From time to time I do a whole tankful with the eco on all the time and then another tankful with the eco off and I get better mileage with it off. I do have hills where I live, but I can easily see pushing on the pedal harder with eco on due to lack of throttle response.

With it off, I still try to ease into accelaration and coase as often as I can with the foot off the gas. I just signed up with Feully.com to start tracking my fill-ups and mileage. Nice site for doing that and something you may want to consider.

Anyhow, try a tankful without the eco button on and see how you make out.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
amc- if you're used to the TSX and drive the CR-V like it, yes, your mileage will suffer IMHO.
I suggest turning off the ECO for a while and try it. It's not going to go like the Acura as it's heavier and probably has a smaller engine too. It's not a sports car, but if treated like one it'll return true sports car mileage, ie bad.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lisa

Hello CRV Owners...

I just bought a 2014 AWD LX with Twilight Blue color. I love driving it on freeways and even inside the city. But, I am suffering from a bad fuel economy. I bought this vehicle 2 days ago. It has so far driven only about 50 miles. The salesman at the the dealership sold me this car with a full tank of gas, but I have burnt more than about a quarter ( 1/4th ) of it. On the dash it shows about 16 to 18 mpg even on the highway with ECON mode ON. Is it true of this car? I know it's a brand new vehicle, but I also don't drive rough. I live and work in the suburbs where traffic is very normal. But, 16 mpg is terrifying with ECON Mode ON all time. I am still rethinking: did I make a right purchase? I asked the dealership today about this. The service team had no clue about low mpg issue.

I hope you guys may help me on this.

Thank You...
Hello. I also purchased a 2014 AWD EXL on New Year's Eve. The only reason I purchased (this is my first new car - typically I buy used), was the financing offer and the MPG. The salesman pushed saying, "Man, you're gonna love driving past all those gas stations." Well, I believed him and so did my husband. I am 46, never had a speeding ticket in my life (or any other citation for that matter), my work is less than a mile from my home with no stop lights, and we live in central PA. I drive in econ mode. I've driven the car for 3 weeks so far and had to fill up twice!!! I am only averaging 16-17 mpg! I sold my Mercedes R350 to get better Mpgs! this is so much worse! I can also get 17-19 MPG on the highway in our 2001 Suburban LT 2500! I called the dealership and took it in today. The service dept. manager and a mechanic tried to tell me the engine needed a "break-in" period. They looked at it, found no issues (everything checked out as normal -tire pressure too). Then, they sent me on my way pleading with me to drive it for another 500 miles to see if it gets any better. Seriously?! The car has only 500 miles on it now. I am really disappointed and do not want this car any more. I believed the advertisements about this vehicle (the sticker mpg values and the salesman's banter). I told them I was selling my Mercedes privately because I wanted better gas mileage and because the dealership was so far from our home (an hour away). They really sold me on the CRV. I feel I got taken advantage of. My husband is going to speak to the dealership manager this evening. I should at least be getting 20 in this thing. I have taken it on the highway once, put the cruise on at 62mph, and drove 35 miles. The average mgps were 17.7! unbelievable! I really thought it would improve on the highway. The local mechanics who usually work on our cars are telling me the "break-in" time they are talking about is a crock. I am told an engines "rough spots" will, of course, smooth themselves out - but, more like a very fine sandpaper will smooth - not like bad grinding. I am actually sick that I sold my Mercedes and bought this car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I forgot to mention that my CRV had 198 miles on it when I pulled out of the dealership. That means we have put 300 miles on it 3 weeks. Also, I have computed my own mpgs, as well as looked at the display. My most recent fill-up calculated an average of 16mpg.

·
Registered
100 Posts
With the crazy cold currently in the northeast, the engine not being broken in, and the small commute, those MPG numbers make perfect sense to me.

Some engines do take a while longer to break in, that seems to be the case with the CR-V's engine.

·
Registered
756 Posts
As was put forward in another thread about very high APPARENT fuel consumption: Could the trip meter be incorrect /faulty??! I.e., trip meter shows far too low distance; which will affect the computer's calculation of consumption as well as all manual calculations.

·
Registered
488 Posts
we have several 2014s and drive all hard and Without ECO mode, all average 23 to 25 in mixed mode driving

fuel source does matter

·
Registered
20 Posts
First tank of gas on our 2014 CR-V gave 25.33 MPG on combined 4-lane highway, two lane highway and some mountain roads. Pleased but hope for better on pure Interstate driving.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts