Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I did as everyone advised and replaced the Aged Compressor on my beloved 02 Honda CR-V before it imploded.
My mechanic is reputable and did all my needed maintenance and several repairs that took about 3 days to complete, including AC Compressor, Condenser, fixing oil leak, new brake pads, front end alingment, all about $2,200.
All just great and the New AC cools great but the Compressor makes this Whining noise at 1500 - 2000 RPM, most noticeable if I rev engine in neutral and turn on the AC. ON=Whining, OFF=Completely Quiet. SO it's definitely not the engine or transmission or other devices, again it's more hear in Neutral if I turn ON/OFF the AC.
Also Noticeable if I'm driving slow about 20MPH and about 1500 RPM. If I go faster the road noise over takes the noise from the compressor.
The car has only 123,000 miles and otherwise in perfect running condition, as I take great care of her.
The mechanic said they will gladly replace it if I want but they don't really think it's a big deal.
But they want to keep me happy.
Personally I would live with it if it was like 5 year old unit , but it's brand new, and I think it should be quiet.
He said the Compressor was a Ranshu, and is what they always use.
Ranshu Inc. - Everything Automotive A/C Parts and Accessories
So What are anyone's thoughts here..???

Thanks so much..

·
Registered
461 Posts
Take it back and have them listen to it and ask is it suppose to do this. Whining noise shouldn't happen my O2 CRV Compressor doesn't do that. Just because they worked on your CRV for years doesn't mean they can mistake or have a bad part installed. If your uncomfortable talking to them about this take it to another shop trusted and ask should a compressor replaced do this. Then you can go back to them and said I had second opinion and they said that wasn't the case that it should make whining noise. That way you've done your homework to be sure of the problem and what is causing it should they ask you.

·
Premium Member
6,182 Posts
It is best to wait for more members to advice,no get right back and hand them the keys till its fixed

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Take it back and have them listen to it and ask is it suppose to do this. Whining noise shouldn't happen my O2 CRV Compressor doesn't do that. Just because they worked on your CRV for years doesn't mean they can mistake or have a bad part installed. If your uncomfortable talking to them about this take it to another shop trusted and ask should a compressor replaced do this. Then you can go back to them and said I had second opinion and they said that wasn't the case that it should make whining noise. That way you've done your homework to be sure of the problem and what is causing it should they ask you.
Yes Thank you. The Owner of the shop actually drove my Car and he was willing to replace the unit although he did not seem to be so concerned it was a bad Compressor. That said like you I've owed my CR-V for many years now, and that sound to me is not normal or acceptable for a new unit. I see the parts dealer sell rebuilt Compressors, so maybe it was a bad unit. I feel badly they will have to spend the time and labor to make me happy but I did spend some $2,200 with them to get this done. And that whining noise may not be that loud but it's a sign to me something is not right.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Yes Thank you. The Owner of the shop actually drove my Car and he was willing to replace the unit although he did not seem to be so concerned it was a bad Compressor. That said like you I've owed my CR-V for many years now, and that sound to me is not normal or acceptable for a new unit.
Here's the thing what he thinks isn't what should be why it needs fixed you know something didn't feel/sound right that's what matters. If it didn't do it before why should it do it now.

I feel badly they will have to spend the time and labor to make me happy but I did spend some $2,200 with them to get this done. And that whining noise may not be that loud but it's a sign to me something is not right.
Like you said your paid them good money what are they so concerned about this is their work you paid to fix the problem the first time. Noises other then engine operating at normal range or performance we can live with that but noises that sounds out of the ordinary that is something to be concerned with especially with a 02 CRV that's 9 years old and age matters if you want to keep it running long to come.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I agree. My CR-V is almost 20 years old, and I've owned it almost 5 years now so I know every creak, weakness and noise it makes. I'm very mechanical, and very in tune with the car. I guess I didn't want to over react as the mechanic was thinking it might be from the transmission when under the load from the compressor. But I know it's not that. The noise happens in neutral at about 1500 RPM or when driving slower at the same RPM.
It instantly goes away if I turn off the AC and instantly back if I turn it on. I just hope it's that model compressor is just noisy. I'll be sure they are aware of that thought. As if the replacement makes the same noise I'll be very upset.
Hey thanks again for your thoughts on this. And what a great forum this is.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Like anything if the noise makes you weary or gut feeling and your the driver and owner that usually means something doesn't add up.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Noises don't go away, they get worse. It's telling you something is awry and needs to be addressed.

·
Registered
2013 EX
211 Posts
I wouldn't be to agitated with it. Just give them a call and ask them to take a look at it. If they say "it seems okay-run it." Then run it.
Later if you have issues- you know where to take it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The compressor should not whine. My original didn't (and then it imploded at 105K). The replacement (which is a Ridex) also doesnt..If mechanic said he'll glady replace it - then I'd not hesitate & get it done.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,093 Posts
The compressor should not whine. My original didn't (and then it imploded at 105K). The replacement (which is a Ridex) also doesnt..If mechanic said he'll glady replace it - then I'd not hesitate & get it done.
Keep in mind that this Topic is 4-5 months old. It is likely that the OP has had the compressor replaced and is now enjoying a quiet CRV again.

Closing topic. IF OP would like to add any info, just message any moderator and we will re-open. Thanks!

Reactions: TheDarkKnight
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.