Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Read Only
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2000 "V" w/only 132,000 miles, ran and rode beautifully until I just had the shocks/struts/alinement done all around (w/Monroe's). Now, it exhibits a low speed "shudder" most noticeable at betw 15-25 MPH when under moderate acceleration - via the floor pan and the steering wheel. It seems to be more noticeable in a right turn but can't swear to it. QUES: I generally trust this shop - BUT - is there something they might have (inadvertently) done while installing the shocks/struts that could be causing this? THANX in advance -- any advice/suggestions gratefully received.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
They had to remove the tires to do that work, so there's a possibility they knocked a balancing weight off one of the tires.
Start by rotating all four tires and see if the shudder changes or goes away.

·
Read Only
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Racoon -- Thanx, but after taking a close look at the wheels (still have the painted stock rims on it) I saw no evidence where any weights might have been knocked off. Unable to come up with a cause, I simply took it back to the shop and told THEM to diagnose it. After a day, they finally did, saying that the problem was caused by a "faulty part." They'll replace it free of charge to me. [ Faulty part?.... On a factory-made strut assembly ??? ] Hmm-m-m, I'm beginning to wonder, if there's more to it than I'll ever be told. Will post an update with the results when I get it back.

·
Premium Member
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
1,206 Posts
Defects can happen anywhere. It's not suspicious just because you got the one bad shock. That's why there are warranties.

Post back if you still have a problem after they fix it.

·
Read Only
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: Shop still has it - the first replacement part "didn't work" - another replacement is on order. @Lochinvar.... do I detect a note of defensiveness? I simply asked for input on possible causes - I'm making no assumptions. This is our normal shop, not a "cut-rate" - we've trusted their work in the past, and they're doing this follow-up trouble-shooting/repair at no add'l cost. It's interesting to follow the job steps in the Hayne's Manual. Alas, even new parts can be faulty, but.... by the same token, even the best places can occasionally turn out sub-par work. Just sayin'. l'll post again with the results when I get the V back.

·
Premium Member
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
1,206 Posts
Not really being defensive, just stating a fact. You shouldn't usually suspect new parts of being defective first, but you can't think a part is infallible just because it's new either.

A lot of defects present themselves right after the defective part is first put into service too; they don't all take time to show up.

Also if a part turns out to be defective, it's not necessarily the shops fault since they just installed the part; they didn't manufacture it.

·
Read Only
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FINAL POST: Got it back from shop after a 2 day wait for part(s). The V now runs/rides just fine.
Invoice read: "R&R OEM suspension bushing. No Charge." They didn't offer any further explanation and I didn't ask any questions. You could read the between the lines, if you wish, but as far as I'm concerned the matter is over and past. Whatever the problem may have been they made good on it, and I still trust them for service.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts