Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I just want to know what do you think about " Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic Oil" Does anyone uses it? If not what do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
507 Posts
I'm planning on using this for my next oil change.
Always great results using Pennzoil.
Made from Natural Gas--Probably the best you can buy.
And Cheap at Wal Mart , 25 bucks.

I've used all different brands of oil and
have had zero problems.
I change my oil 3 to 5,000 miles.
I want my oil to be pretty CLEAN.
I want my engine clean inside but I
have an IVTEC and clean oil is
important for proper lubrication and operation.

·
Banned
252 Posts
Made from Natural Gas--Probably the best you can buy.
That's funny. What the hell does it mean? How do they make a liquid out of a gas, especially one that comes out of a cows butt? Do they actually start out with a base stock of cow diarrhea?

edit... I do realize that there are more ways to mine natural gas other than using a cows digestive system, It is still funny to me though. I think I would rather stick to some oil that doesn't brag about being made out of natural gas, unless someone can shed some light on why that's such a great thing.

·
Banned
249 Posts
That's funny. What the hell does it mean? How do they make a liquid out of a gas, especially one that comes out of a cows butt? Do they actually start out with a base stock of cow diarrhea?

edit... I do realize that there are more ways to mine natural gas other than using a cows digestive system, It is still funny to me though. I think I would rather stick to some oil that doesn't brag about being made out of natural gas, unless someone can shed some light on why that's such a great thing.
.........wat. :confused2:

Do you understand what natural gas even is....?

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Meh; while there are endless arguments about it over on the BobIsTheOilGuy forums, if you change it on-time, and don't get some dusty crap off the bottom shelf of Billy-Bob's Cheap Gas, it really doesn't make much difference. I go to to Wal-Mart and buy the cheapest stuff in the appropriate grade. The house-brand over at W-M, "SuperTech" is actually fairly well-regarded by "oil enthusiasts". It's made by a company (Warren Distribution) that is responsible for most "house-brand" oils at large chains. (AAP/Carquest, O'Reilly, even Amazon)

I will buy a name-brand if there's a good rebate out there (there are commonly $10-$12 / jug rebates available on name-brand oils.)

·
Banned
6,166 Posts
Meh i go to the gas station and dip into their recycling bin and use a worn tee shirt......

Yes Wallyworld is a great place to go and because they are bigger then a Mom & Pop store why the oil is offered a little less then others. Get whatever Brand that your heart desires... Coffee time

·
Banned
252 Posts
.........wat. :confused2:

Do you understand what natural gas even is....?
If you would have read my post you would have clearly seen that I do understand what natural gas is. Natural gas = CH4, also know as Methane, also known as the main component that comes out of cows butts when they fart. It is a huge contributor to global warming (if you believe in that sort of thing), and also a wonderful thing to make synthetic engine oil out of, apparently.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Back to Hokage original question … I think Pennzoil is a fine oil and have used it in the past. Now days I use Mobile 1 exclusively because of low cost. I stock up once a year when Mobil offers rebates. Right now I can get a 5-quart jug for about $11 at Walmart after Mobil's $12 rebate. Otherwise I would use the cheapest brand I could find that meets Honda's oil specs in the owners manual.

·
Registered
901 Posts

Google Fischer-Tropsch. Synthetic motor oil can have 4 base stocks: Group III, which is super refined crude oil, Group III Plus which is gas-to-liquid (GTL) like Pennzoil synthetics, Group IV - PolyAlphaOlefin (PAO) and Group V - Esters.

Many synthetics are a blend of 2 or more base stocks (Mobil1 0w-30 may have all 4) and each has pros and cons. GTL can have some of the characteristics of Group IV (like lower volatility) at a lower cost. At the end of the day, all the mass-market premium brands (Mobil1, Pennzoil, Castrol, Valvoline) will have similar performance. But any oil that meets the SN Plus standard will be perfectly adequate. Heck, over at BITOG, used oil analyses have shown WalMart’s SuperTech performs very well at less than $ 17/5 quarts.

·
Banned
249 Posts
If you would have read my post you would have clearly seen that I do understand what natural gas is. Natural gas = CH4, also know as Methane, also known as the main component that comes out of cows butts when they fart. It is a huge contributor to global warming (if you believe in that sort of thing), and also a wonderful thing to make synthetic engine oil out of, apparently.
/ facepalm

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,661 Posts
The whole idea of calling this stuff synthetic cracks me up! If it's still made out of oil, how is it synthetic? It's still organic - liquid dinosaurs.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.