Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Mine is a 2016 so I don't have the turbo. I'd do the same either way. No full throttle for the first few hundred miles. If I had the turbo I'd add use light throttle to hopefully use no turbo boost the last couple of miles of my drive followed by 5-10 seconds of idling once I stopped at my destination. Turbo heat can be extreme and that's one of the biggest enemies of the engine and oil. Could be wrong on any/all of that but it's what I think.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,168 Posts
Everyone (including the owners manual) seems to agree that you should avoid long constant speeds for the first 600/1000 miles.

There is one school of thought that maintains the best break-in is to DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!

I just drive normally, for me. :rolleyes:

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,168 Posts
No early oil change.

Hondas come with factory oil that has extra moly to help with break-in. They say not to change it early.

Some owners do, though, and it hasn't seemed to cause any issues.

Toyota-brand oil has extra moly in it also, some Honda owners use that for the second oil change!

·
Registered
'18 CR-V Ex-L AWD & '13 CR-V Ex-L AWD
1,640 Posts
Are you supposed to change the oil at 20 miles and 100 miles? I've read you're supposed to do that with a brand new vehicle?
What!!! Where did you hear that piece of myth? Go ahead if you want, and make the oil producers richer. Just change it when the MM says to, or say 20%. It is a fact that Honda puts additional Moly additives in the oil from the factory and they recommend changing it when the MM indicates.

With all new vehicles I drive moderately for the first 500+ miles, changing speeds every 20 or so miles, gradual increase of speed from stops, and careful moderate anticipated braking to stops too. This is just good common sense. Unless you choose to trade your vehicles often then it may be tough luck for the next owner.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've got a 2017 EX that the dealership is driving in from about 68 miles out. The interstate here is about 75mph speed limit.. Will it be an issue for the vehicle if it is driven for ~1 hour at around 75mph while under the 600 miles?

·
Registered
140 Posts
My break-in approach can be summed up as: Don't drive like an idiot and don't go for a long road trip with the cruise droning away at a constant speed for hours for the first 1k miles.
That sums it up nicely!

The following are taken directly from the manual:

"During the first 600 miles (1,000 km) of operation, avoid sudden acceleration or full throttle operation so as to not damage the engine or powertrain.
Avoid hard braking for the first 200 miles (300 km). You should also follow this when the brake pads are replaced."

"Avoid towing a trailer during your vehicle's first 600 miles (1,000 km)."

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Counting company cars, I have had 16 new vehicles I have broken in. I'm a fairly gentle driver and I don't do anything differently with a new car than I normally do. I live and drive on crooked mountain roads so normal driving for me is the same as one would drive to break one in on flat straight roads.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I do mostly local driving (26 miles roundtrip to work and back) on pothole-infested roads. Should I make an effort to cruise the highway at 55-70mph once a week? I don't want to hurt my new baby, but I don't want to let her think that life will always be boring either. :cool:

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'd just use Sport mode once in awhile and make sure at least once a week or so to run the engine at temp for at least 30 minutes. This makes sure the oil is able to burn off any moisture.

Nowadays, with modern engines, the break in just isn't as critical as it was in the old days.

·
Registered
91 Posts
You are fine, just drive normally as you would anyway. Don't overthink this.
OK, so my last question is... how many miles, or how long of a time, is a typical break-in period? I go 6 months between oil changes when I use synthetic oil since I don't put on that many miles per year. Is the factory oil meant to go 6 months?

·
Registered
33 Posts
OK, so my last question is... how many miles, or how long of a time, is a typical break-in period? I go 6 months between oil changes when I use synthetic oil since I don't put on that many miles per year. Is the factory oil meant to go 6 months?
The factory oil is meant to go until the maintenance minder tells you to change it (or up to the maximum of a year, I believe -- it should say in the owners manual).

·
Registered
678 Posts
I've got a 2017 EX that the dealership is driving in from about 68 miles out. The interstate here is about 75mph speed limit.. Will it be an issue for the vehicle if it is driven for ~1 hour at around 75mph while under the 600 miles?
I don't think that causes harm as it is not mentioned in the manual, the manual just wants you to avoid sudden acceleration or braking, which makes sense. Building up speed gradually shouldn't be harmful. I really don't know why constant speeds would be an issue - if you think it would then maybe you could vary your speed so that it is not constant. 10 minutes at 75, 10 minutes at 70, 10 minutes at 65 in the slow lane. Exit a few times and re-enter. Your drive will be a little longer but at least you get to vary it up. I don't think constant speeds is harmful but I don't know the technicalities either, I just follow the Owner's Manual.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Excellent advise from everyone.

My understanding for proper break-in is to ensure that the piston rings seal properly to the cylinder walls. By varying the load and engine speed (rpm), the rings will move slightly to have even wear on the cylinder wall. This will reduce blow by, oil consumption, and increase longevity of the engine.

So good advise to avoid constant engine speed for extended periods of time, as garoto mentioned, vary it up and drive normally.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts