Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Honda CRV 2.0 i-VTEC Executive
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I have a bright yellow (when dry with a green hue), slightly thick consistency fluid slowly leaking into my passenger side footwell. I’m assuming it’s antifreeze/coolant from the Heater Core behind the dashboard. There looks to be 5/6 drops a day on average. I could however be totally wrong and would much appreciate anybody’s input. I’ve purchased some Radweld which I’m hoping will avoid a difficult task in locating and fixing the leak. I’ve attached a couple of images for reference. Many thanks in advance, Michael.

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 UK Manufactured 5 Door EX (4WD); KA4AT
64 Posts
I'd guess that you are correct in your assumption. Some sort of a stop leak additive could cause other problems such as reduced flow, being that the coolant runs all through the tiny passages in the engine. The recommendation should be to find the leak and repair it.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
11,768 Posts
Gen2 CR-Vs are supposed to have blue Honda coolant in them. Hmmm.
Even the aftermarket Zerex Aisian coolant (in the USA) recommended for Hondas is blue.

If you have an OBDII app such as "Torque" you could monitor cooling performance now, and after trying that additive. (The gauge is 'dampened' and is not a reliable indicator of actual running temps)

Good Luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks for the advice, I’ll go ahead and find the source of the leak and fix.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many thanks for your suggestion, I’m going to get my hands on the app and monitor in the meantime.

Gen2 CR-Vs are supposed to have blue Honda coolant in them. Hmmm.
Even the aftermarket Zerex Aisian coolant (in the USA) recommended for Hondas is blue.

If you have an OBDII app such as "Torque" you could monitor cooling performance now, and after trying that additive. (The gauge is 'dampened' and is not a reliable indicator of actual running temps)

Good Luck!

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
11,768 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Have you checked your coolant header tank in the engine compartment for signs of losing coolant? My guess is that you are not losing a coolant leak in the passenger compartment but an air con fluid leak.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That’s a good point, many thanks for the advice. I’m thinking it could certainly be the ac since it’s now stopped blowing cold air. Strange as the chap in the garage checked for leaks before filling with refrigerant. In terms of the fluid, I’m guessing this could be a air con lubricant leak that escaped along with the gas, into the cabin. Fortunately it’s only 14oz of Freon. Will also monitor the coolant tank as suggested.

Have you checked your coolant header tank in the engine compartment for signs of losing coolant? My guess is that you are not losing a coolant leak in the passenger compartment but an air con fluid leak.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts