Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys,

Have been having some starting and charging issues recently so decided to change out the alternator. During the removal it was easier to remove the alternator if I removed the intake sensor. During the reinstall of the sensor, I broke off the threads of the sensor in the intake. I started to try and work the threads out. I did get them out but I couldn't see if they fell out and into the engine compartment or down into the manifold itself. From what I understand, this is a bid deal and I have to get this out. It was a threaded piece of brass about 3/8 long and 3/8 wide. Just looking for your thoughts of what to do and if this has to come out. My CRV is a 1999 and has the 2,0L and 212,000 miles. I think I know the answer but would really hate to have to dig into the engine head if it fell down there. I have added a pic of the part with the part between the blue lines is what broke off, then pics of the port with the threads in and then after with the threads gone.

Capture.PNG IMG_0962.jpg

IMG_0957.jpg IMG_0959.jpg IMG_0958.jpg

Thanks,
Nate

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Sorry to hear about your dilemma. Were you rotating the brass part in counterclockwise motion or clockwise. If its counterclockwise it should have fallen out not in. If you have a new one , you can try to fit it in the hole see if it goes in without to screw it in. But from looking at the picture it will most likely have fallen out. I will say 98% as if you look at the dimensions it impossible to go into the the manifold unless it was screwed in. Did you tried to tap the lower cover & hear it. It should be there. If it got into the intake manifold you are still safe as long as the engine is not started because for that size to get pass by the valves will be impossible. Let me know.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I am with otto on this, if you un-threaded the broken piece, it could not fall in. You would have had to do a righty tighty instead of a lefty loosey for it to go in. Now, which way did you turn it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was using a cloth around a screwdriver (redneck crap) to get a tight enough fit so that I would have enough of a bite to back it out. I screwed it in at first (righty) then backed it out. I was not in a good position when I was doing this (wish I could do over) and it happens really fast so it was hard to tell if it fell in or out. My father in law is on his way over this am so we can take the intake off and hope its there. The car has not been started so he said the same thing that it couldn't be in the combustion chamber because could not have passed the piston head. It it did get though the intake then I will have to take the head off correct? I would think so that I can see the top of the pistons.

Thanks for the feedback.

Nate

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
The other way without taking the intake manifold if you have a borescope you can sneak in & then take a look or use a wire hanger to try to fish it out. Too bad its not magnetic. Let us know.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
If you backed it out and then it disappeared, it could not have fallen into the manifold, not a big enough hole.
If you screwed it into the hole and it disappeared, then it did fall into the hole since it was below the threads.
Best of luck.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Buff is right, I think you need to search your engine compartment a little more thoroughly, it's in there somewhere, not in the manifold.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We got it out, it was in the bottom of the manifold. It was a sob to get off enough to fish out but worth it after we knew it was actually in there. I have attached some pics. I will say that it is not starting back yet either but I am hoping that it is a battery issue. We will see.

IMG_0968.jpg IMG_0969.jpg

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Happy to hear you got it out, but you must have screwed it down below the threads and when you started turning it in the ccw direction, it was too late.
Happily you got it out.
Since you put in a new alternator, make sure your battery is fully charged before running it. A dead battery can put a lot of strain (heat build-up, for one thing) on a new or rebuilt alternator.
Low voltage causes many problems on a CRV. Check the battery connectors and grounding straps and connections at the starter.
Let the battery charge overnight and try it in the morning.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I had a good idea that it was in there. I have the intake sensor on back order and it should be in Tuesday. I went ahead and got it started but the engine would rev really high and I would have to turn the key off to get it back down. I tried again starting it with my finger in the hole that the sensor came out of and it came back down but sputtered a little. So I am guessing that it will not run correctly until the sensor is back in. I guess it doesn't understand how much air and gas is needed. I will update later this week.

Thanks,
Nathan

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Same here. Glad to hear you that the piece came out. I agree with Buffalo4, be sure that the battery is fully charged before firing the engine. Let us know how it turned out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Knew it was too good to be true. I got the new sensor in place. I had trickle charged the battery for 12 hrs. Put battery in and it would not start. All the interior light came on bright along with the door bell. When I turned it over, I get nothing but the lights dim I think. I put the battery charger on it with the 12V 6A Start setting and then it clicks but doesn't start. I moved it to the 12 V 225 Start and everything lite up and it started after a few turns. After starting and running for a few seconds, it then seeks to find the idle point. It revs and then drops, and over and over without stopping (we think we my have a intake air leak). The SRS light also has now come on which for me makes no sense. I look forward to your advice as we lead up to working on it again this weekend.

Thanks,
Nathan

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I think you have a bad battery, or bad battery connections or bad bonding (grounding) strap connections.
A bad or failing battery causes similar problems.
You changed the alternator because you figured your battery wasn't being charged, I believe.
Sometimes you have a bad battery and a bad alternator.
Check the battery voltage after the CRV sits overnight or take it in for a load test.
Sorry to hear of all the stuff you had to go through.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The battery was part of the problem. I replaced it and it started right up, reset the air bag sensor and it stayed off. Now got to figure out the idle issue, replace cat converter, and figure out why my blower is cutting out on low and high.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts