Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2007 CRV's key housing broke. The remote functions work fine, but the point at which the metal key fits into the plastic housing broke. I put some Gorilla glue to hold it together, but it came loose again after a couple of months. I guess I need to go to the dealer to sell me a new key and program it to unlock the car? What is the typical cost -- wanted to get a ball park before I go to the dealer.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Maybe give a shot at using J-B Weld before caving in to a new key !! I think you can buy the blank housing on Ebay and have a dealer cut it to match your key !! Then you can use the remote part in the new blank (I'm assuming you can take it apart) !! Craig

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Just tape it and call it good lol. Otherwise you're looking to spend close to $300 for a new key. At least that's what VW wanted to charge me when I still owned VW vehicles.

·
Super Moderator
3,190 Posts
I'd bite the dealer bullet for the daily use key.
Then repair the broken casing as best as possible and use that as the back up.

·
Banned
806 Posts
Anymore a locksmith can replace those keys. I would try finding a locksmith that can do it first. I would think it would be cheaper than the dealer.

·
Banned
806 Posts
Depending on your
Ovation a new key from Honda is roughly $55 plus cut and programming.
That is pretty cheap really. A lot cheaper than what I had thought. My wife has a domestic car and she lost one of the keys and if I remember correctly the dealer wanted a couple hundred. We ended up finding the key in a coat that never gets worn.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input. I will call the dealer tomorrow to get a replacement and find out if it is 100 or 300. The car is valet parked about 5-6 times a month when I head into the city. I don't want the valet guy to break the key off in the lock and leave me stranded late at night.

·
Registered
121 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts