Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My parking release gearshift button broke off--just fell into the tray & the spring fell out after I had shifted to park. Still under warranty--that part should have lasted the life of the car. Some internet notes say that when they took the vehicle for repair they were told the dealer shop had never seen that malfunction before. My search of the internet says that a LOT of people are having this same problem & that it has gone on for a long time with not only CRV's but Accords & Civics also.

There is a you-tube video of someone replacing such a button on a "2005" Accord & the photo of the broken part for the 2005 Accord is a picture perfect match for the broken part of my "2017" Crv. That is what, 12 years & the problem has not yet been fixed? It took the you-tube guy less than 4 minutes to replace the button while verbally annotating the process & video taping the process.

**HONDA, if you are listening fix your gearshift button problem since it seems as you all have had at least 12-years to do so & have not done so. I don't want to be replacing the button every couple of years.

**FOLLOW UP: Fortunately the part broke into 2 pieces rather than crumbling into multiple pieces so that I was able to match up the 2 broken pieces by feel & continue to use it until the part was replaced. PART REPLACED UNDER WARRANTY. When I put the broken part on the service advisors desk, his first question was, "Do you have a CRV" so, it was a known issue and he indicated later that it was a manufacturing defect on certain models since the recent major CRV redesign. The dealership slotted it amongst scheduled repairs & I had it back in about 2 hours. Despite the dealership saying that the defect was a recent issue, an online You-tube video of the repair of the same part for, I think a 2005 vehicle, has a picture of the broken 2005 part and the break of the broken part, to my untrained eye, looked exactly like the break in the same part on my CRV.

·
Super Moderator
3,243 Posts
I wouldn’t say a design from 12 years ago is the same or has the same cause of failure as a design today.
But I do agree that it’s odd we’ve had a few similar reports here on 17s.
My sister in Laws’s 20 year old Accord still has its original shifter button and almost everything else other than consumables.

·
Registered
23 Posts
And yet another! Mine button broke off in my hand a
little while ago. The spring popped out and the part looks like someone took a hammer to it. I don't know what to think. Add this to my ever growing list of issues with my 2017 Cr-V touring model. I am on my second display (head unit) yes, they have replaced it twice. So far so good on that issue. Time will tell. HONDA THIS IS SO DISPPOINTING!
#honda #CR-V #hondacrv

·
Registered
14 Posts
Another gear shift engagement button failure on our 2017 CRV to report. The button just pops out. So far we can just slide the button back in and it works but it should not pop out in the first place. Anyone worked through this problem with the dealer yet? Obviously it should be under warranty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It’s a poorly designed shifter. I had the same issue this past Saturday, off course in the early morning hours and I had to use a flashlight to find the broken button which flew off when I attempted to shift into park. I was able to temporarily tape it back until it was fixed at Dealer today.
The service manager told me it’s a poor design and he’s expecting it to become a recall. They keep extra replacement parts in stock because it’s becoming a common problem. My vehicle is still under warranty with only 26,500 miles on it

2017 CRV EXL NAV

·
Registered
4 Posts
The gear shift knob broke while my wife was trying to park once she got to work this morning. Knob looks like somebody took a hammer to it. She was able to get it into neutral and turn the engine off. I showed up later and was able to get it shifted into park with the help of a screwdriver. Will take it to the dealership later today, see what they say. Vehicle has about 26,000 miles on it. 2017 CRV EXL.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tonight my wife picked me up at Atlanta Hatfield Airport (ATL), I was going to drive home and when I tried to shift from park to drive, the button and spring popped out on the floor. I could not move it from drive and thought... this is not going to be fun! If you haven't been to ATL airport, know that passenger pickup is not for the faint of heart and never fun! Like others here said, I looked for the parts and put the buttom back in and was able to drive home. After I got home I found the spring between the seat and the center console. Sorry... just venting, tomorrow I'll contact the dealer. I always wanted a CRV, especially since I had such a great experience with my 2003 Accord, over 200,000 miles and still ran/looked great!

·
Registered
4 Posts
The same thing happened to us today. My wife was backing out of the garage on her way to an early morning medical appointment.

She comes running back into the house. "The car won't move! The gear shifter just fell apart."

Yep. The button was on the floor. Looked to me as if it had been broken off. I figured out how to fit it back in and was able to get the CRV back in the garage. Took her to the appointment in my 2005 Acura MDX. Was able to ge a same-day appointment with the local dealer. I am sitting in the waiting room as I type. Should be interesting to see how long this takes...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same thing happened to our 2017 Touring. Only took like a few months before it flew off while pulling out of our garage and got our car stuck in gear. Fortunate there was the free road side assistance and they towed it to our nearest honda dealer even though the service center was closed. The next working day the got it fixed.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Same thing happened to our 2017 Touring. Only took like a few months before it flew off while pulling out of our garage and got our car stuck in gear. Fortunate there was the free road side assistance and they towed it to our nearest honda dealer even though the service center was closed. The next working day the got it fixed.
For next time, dealer said you can stick your finger in there and feel a metal toggle/bar that you just push... He said you shouldn't get stranded with this issue. I can imagine not everyone would be comfortable with this approach, but still, I would try it...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
2017 CRV EX-L. Today, the gear shift button broke as I was shifting the vehicle into park. Luckily the button remained in place and didn't fly off, but it slides on and off now. Crazy to be reading about all of these incidents across multiple forums and no recall or safety advisory has been issued. This is obviously a safety issue as the button could drop into the floorboards and prevent someone from shifting safely.

I placed a plastic sandwich bag over the gear shift knob and secured it tight with rubber bands to prevent the button from flying out. Will take to dealer immediately for replacement under warranty.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Honda can make a killing of a Aluminum part. I wonder if it also relates to the sharp angle in the shifter made out of Nylon as well plastic vs hard nylon who will win the Nylon of course. So my next question is how hard do we press on the sliding shifter button that forced the nylon\ down fast and hard or soft and slow

·
Registered
23 Posts
This makes me so mad. My car is out of warranty as of last month. Has 30,000 miles but is now three years old as of January. Mine just broke in half and fell out. Luckily I was able to jam it back in and get home. I’ll get it fixed on Tuesday. It’s infuriating that this is a known problem and I’ll pay out-of-pocket to fix it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2017 CRV gear shift button has seem loose for a while. Today i pulled into park. Put the car in park. Took my foot off the break & heard something on the floor that apparently i kicked when i moved my foot off the break. It was a silver plastic knob looking thing. I picked it up like wth is this. Then it dawned on me...my damn gear shift button. Wth. I swear this is my last CRV. I said that last time with my 2012. But I'm serious this time. It's ridiculous. My car has over 30,000 miles now so it won't be under warranty. Any idea how much it will cost to repair? I mean it's kind of an important part of my car

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mine broke last week and was replaced under warrenty - 2017 EX L touring. Frankly, I have owned every generation of Honda CRV. This latest redesign has left me very disappointed. I Purchased on June of 2017 and it has had three recalls, and the latest one on the gas/oil problem has resigned me to an early trade. This model was clearly a Beta test released too early. Too many changes and too many "stupid" problems. They have "promised" a "fix" of the 1.5 liter turbo in the fall of 2019 (2020 models), but I too afraid to wait to trade and see my resale value drop given the known problems with this model. And sadly, if I want to keep the level of comfort and accessories in a small SUV, I will have to trade for a Subaru or Toyota to avoid the failed turbo engine of the CRV.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2017 CRV gear shift button has seem loose for a while. Today i pulled into park. Put the car in park. Took my foot off the break & heard something on the floor that apparently i kicked when i moved my foot off the break. It was a silver plastic knob looking thing. I picked it up like wth is this. Then it dawned on me...my damn gear shift button. Wth. I swear this is my last CRV. I said that last time with my 2012. But I'm serious this time. It's ridiculous. My car has over 30,000 miles now so it won't be under warranty. Any idea how much it will cost to repair? I mean it's kind of an important part of my car

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just found out today there is a factory recall on the shifter button. Dealer is to replace mine Thursday. No recall notice. Parts dept told me when I called to get replacement button.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts