Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
My '17 honda CRV shifter knob fell off/broke, AS I WAS DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD.. Just totally fell out, I went hmmm what is this, I'll investigate when I park...then I couldn't park!! I called and there is indeed a recall for this. I have an appointment tomorrow, but be sure to call the dealership. I bought this car 2 years to the day too, which is weird..

·
Registered
3 Posts
My parking release gearshift button broke off--just fell into the tray & the spring fell out after I had shifted to park. Still under warranty--that part should have lasted the life of the car. Some internet notes say that when they took the vehicle for repair they were told the dealer shop had never seen that malfunction before. My search of the internet says that a LOT of people are having this same problem & that it has gone on for a long time with not only CRV's but Accords & Civics also.

There is a you-tube video of someone replacing such a button on a "2005" Accord & the photo of the broken part for the 2005 Accord is a picture perfect match for the broken part of my "2017" Crv. That is what, 12 years & the problem has not yet been fixed? It took the you-tube guy less than 4 minutes to replace the button while verbally annotating the process & video taping the process.

**HONDA, if you are listening fix your gearshift button problem since it seems as you all have had at least 12-years to do so & have not done so. I don't want to be replacing the button every couple of years.

**FOLLOW UP: Fortunately the part broke into 2 pieces rather than crumbling into multiple pieces so that I was able to match up the 2 broken pieces by feel & continue to use it until the part was replaced. PART REPLACED UNDER WARRANTY. When I put the broken part on the service advisors desk, his first question was, "Do you have a CRV" so, it was a known issue and he indicated later that it was a manufacturing defect on certain models since the recent major CRV redesign. The dealership slotted it amongst scheduled repairs & I had it back in about 2 hours. Despite the dealership saying that the defect was a recent issue, an online You-tube video of the repair of the same part for, I think a 2005 vehicle, has a picture of the broken 2005 part and the break of the broken part, to my untrained eye, looked exactly like the break in the same part on my CRV.
Our crv model is 2013 and button broken in multiple peaces..I was about to leave from work and button broken inside broken in multiple peaces..this issues should be resolved by Crv it can happen in middle of the road and putting people's life is in risk.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Our crv model is 2013 and button broken in multiple peaces..I was about to leave from work and button broken inside broken in multiple peaces..this issues should be resolved by Crv it can happen in middle of the road and putting people's life is in risk.

·
Registered
291 Posts
It breaking while driving puts you in zero risk.
It doesnt come out of gear, its just the housing, you can still pull off and/or drive home normally

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
.... it can happen in middle of the road and putting people's life is in risk.
This is factually incorrect on a number of levels.

Yes.. a broken button needs to be fixed. But even with the broken button.. the worst case is you cannot change the gear selector.... though in fact you can by simply inserting anything remotely like a pencil into the shaft to move the actuator bar inward and then shift the selector... rinse and repeat until you replace the button.

It its not putting anyone at risk.. but I accept that it happening unexpectedly can cause a driver reaction of sorts.

Also.. this thread is about the gen5 CRV and problems with broken shift control buttons... not gen4s.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2017 CRV shift lever knob button broke and came off when I started the car. This forum helped me to contact the dealer for free replacement. I got it replaced today, in the service Invoice they state : Cause A19063A 2121D7 Product update campaign: Replace the shift lever knob button S/B: 19-063. Hope this will help people with this problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Found this page today - My 2017 shift button was missing when I pulled into the driveway - I was able to get it into Neutral without any for thought - but had to set the parking brake so I could find it on the floor. Read this and called dealer - ended up w an appointment after two hour wait expressed on phone was a five hour wait on my arrival. Kind of bothered by that and forcefully pulled it out again and said fix it now - after recieving blank stare from tech (dumbass) I made an Appt and left 😂 I normally do all my own work so - yeah!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts