Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to fabricate my own intake for $90 in my woodshop: No it's not made of wood. That's just where I keep my tools. I put it on, connected the sensor, little breather tube (so many adapters), and then put a small filter on the tube coming out of the top of the engine (it wasn't really connected to the box, so I just filtered it) Everything fit perfectly and I bought exactly the right parts, the intake is probably as far away from the engine as possible without going into the under/back of the engine bay. I left the bottom part of the stock airbox, so that the intake had something to rest on. I may remove it later, but right now it holds it in a perfect position that I like. The Sensor was a B*** to remove, because I was afraid of breaking it. Everything went together real smooth and I did it in about 45 minutes. The only real trouble was disconnecting all the stock pieces. It looks BEAUTIFUL!!!! DOn't know how it sounds yet, but I did start the car, and I got no CEL (had the battery disconnected), so I must have done it correctly.

However, when I turned the car off I heard a very large sucking sound, but I'm guessing that is because the intake is exposed and no longer silent anymore. Oh, and here's some pictures so you can all laugh at my two toned engine bay. The red is actually interesting looking in the engine bay, but it doesn't show up in "real light" it just looks black, but the flash of a camera will brighten everything.

And then the close up where the breather tube and sensor go.

Overall I'm happy with the look of it, and am glad that I learned how to do something new today. Not as hard as I thought it would be.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I need to get pictures of mine. I use the same system. It is great for the cost. Looks good man. Congratulations on the first performance modification.

·
Registered
18 Posts
nice, I really like it!
I was thinking about getting one but I did not know if it would be worth it..
can you feel any gains with it?
thanks!

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, There was some gain from the build-a-intake one i have posted here, I have since switched to a short-ram made by Weapon R close by in San Francisco. That one seems to be a little better than the one I made, but it's also a little shorter by about 4" of tubing. The Spectre one I built worked awesome for the money, only cost me $90 to build and have a filter on. Pretty cheap. It will make the V a lot louder, and you'll feel something. It's not a great net gain, I'd say about 2 or 3 HP from the more lean balance of fuel, but it sounds better and yes, it is noticable.

·
Registered
18 Posts
yup that's what i thought, def sounds worth it to me though :D..
i was thinking about getting a fujita or k&n, i haven't found a weapon r one out there yet..
does the brand really make a that big of a difference?

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The brand really doesn't matter, but the filter might make a difference. I can have a K&N filter on my weapon R, and it will be almost the same as the K&N Typhoon, except a little shorter, and $100 cheaper. Weapon R Dragons can be found on their website and they have the coolest looking filters I've ever seen for sure, but their effectiveness may be different than a conical filter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts