Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been a nightmare for me. I’m in Ottawa 2009 CRV with 195,000km. It’s been a month and I’m still fighting Hunt Club Ottawa. They gave me a loaner car the first day and now 27 days later they called the police and said I stole their car. They were supposed to get me a rental but none were available. They said it didn’t pass the test (no pictures that they promised) and I had to take the buyout which I refused. I told them to fix my car. The only leverage I had was their loaner. Police were at my door. I wasn’t home. Police called me yesterday, they will arrest me if I don’t bring back their loaner car tomorrow September 10th. They did give me a buyout of $8000 but my car is paid & I cannot afford any payments right now and I want it fixed!!! Not even an option as all they want is their loaner car. I’ve got a journal of everything said and mailed. I have left messages for news media. Their lawyers have big pockets compared to mine but I’m not letting this go.
I feel bullied by a mediator at Honda Canada, intimidated by the police and completely threatened by Honda.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,554 Posts
Sorry to hear about all the frustrations, but you did not provide us with any info as to what the issue is with your 2009, so not much we can contribute about that part of what you posted.

The statement you made "did not pass the test" sounds like the chassis corrosion test they perform on some CRVs in that age range [In which case, you are not being "bullied" by Honda, but by your countries vehicle safety laws and limits]. If so.. fact is.. they are not legally allowed to try to repair it if fails the integrity test (this has been discussed elsewhere in the forum here). So a buyout is the only thing they can actually offer you. They offered to buy out at what appears to be around market value for a 2009. I see yo also posted in this thread, which confirms my guess. https://www.crvownersclub.com/threads/frame-recall-2007-2011-cr-v.194985/

As for the loaner vehicle.. since they own it and you do not, and they feel they have reached a fair offer of resolution (regardless if you disagree) they ARE within their rights to demand it back. It sounds like the Police are being somewhat reasonable in that they simply want the vehicle returned, and do not want to actually APB you and arrest you on sight ... otherwise they would have tracked you down and done exactly that. It's not like you can keep the loaner indefinitely, just because you do not like the proposed settlement offered by Honda.

And I doubt it would be any different with an actual rental car, because if the dealer informs the rental car agency that they have reached a conclusion (whether you agree or not), the rental car company will demand you return the rental car or incur rental fees on your dime, and they very likely would also refer it to the police as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry to hear about all the frustrations, but you did not provide us with any info as to what the issue is with your 2009, so not much we can contribute about that part of what you posted.

The statement you made "did not pass the test" sounds like the chassis corrosion test they perform on some CRVs in that age range [In which case, you are not being "bullied" by Honda, but by your countries vehicle safety laws and limits]. If so.. fact is.. they are not legally allowed to try to repair it if fails the integrity test (this has been discussed elsewhere in the forum here). So a buyout is the only thing they can actually offer you. They offered to buy out at what appears to be around market value for a 2009. I see yo also posted in this thread, which confirms my guess. https://www.crvownersclub.com/threads/frame-recall-2007-2011-cr-v.194985/

As for the loaner vehicle.. since they own it and you do not, and they feel they have reached a fair offer of resolution (regardless if you disagree) they ARE within their rights to demand it back. It sounds like the Police are being somewhat reasonable in that they simply want the vehicle returned, and do not want to actually APB you and arrest you on sight ... otherwise they would have tracked you down and done exactly that. It's not like you can keep the loaner indefinitely, just because you do not like the proposed settlement offered by Honda.

And I doubt it would be any different with an actual rental car, because if the dealer informs the rental car agency that they have reached a conclusion (whether you agree or not), the rental car company will demand you return the rental car or incur rental fees on your dime, and they very likely would also refer it to the police as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In the event that a consumer refuses the buy-back offer, Honda will conduct a second, more complete inspection, which will require the dismantling of the fuel tank, part of the exhaust and the parking brake. If the vehicle passes this second test successfully, the vehicle will be repaired.
They did not do that. I asked for pictures and no pictures were produced.
You’re right about their car, it’s theirs and they want it but I did not steel it. The service manager gave it to me. He quit after this incident, just up and left.
They win again. They make people take the buyout by giving them no options. Take it or leave it. I don’t like big corporations bullying women like me who can’t afford new cars into making a financial decision in 7 days.

·
Super Moderator
7,554 Posts
They win again. They make people take the buyout by giving them no options. Take it or leave it. I don’t like big corporations bullying women like me who can’t afford new cars into making a financial decision in 7 days.
I know you are upset, but you need to take a deep breath and step back a bit here.

There is no win or lose here. There is you wanting one outcome (repair of a corroded chassis) and Honda in the position of not legally allowed to attempt to repair a vehicle that fails an approved corrosion test. And no.. they do not owe you any photos of the corrosion, because that achieves absolutely nothing... because it is a physical test of the corrosion to determine if it is repairable or not.

Bottom line: Honda is not allowed, by law to repair a chassis that fails the integrity tests. Their only recourse then is to buy the vehicle back from you at fair market value... which clearly they offered to do. They could of course at this point, based on the way you are behaving.. refuse to even do that.. but they won't because they do actually care about their customers, even difficult ones who demand the impossible.

And before you ask "who am I"... I am one of many forum members, and CRV owner, here who participates in this forum and it's discussions about various topics CRV related.

I'm honestly not sure what was your purpose for joining the forum yesterday and posting these "Honda Bullied Me" accusation posts. Is it just to vent? If so.. say so. If you don't want feedback from other forum members that does not agree with your presented narrative here, then why did you post in a discussion forum? You posted this, not us, and we are simply replying with our thoughts, advice, and suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
7,554 Posts
You’re right about their car, it’s theirs and they want it but I did not steel it. The service manager gave it to me. He quit after this incident, just up and left.
Just a guess.... but it could be he was actually fired, for not getting the loaner car back from you in a timely manner.

If so, then your actions may have gotten a person fired who was actually going out of their way to help you. Why? because he broke policy to do so by letting you have a loaner for so long, rather then recalling the loaner as soon as a rental car was available.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
It's true, life isn't fair. Which is why lawyers are rich. And you are not being bullied. At least consult a lawyer, to find out if you have any options. It's in your best interest to resolve this as quickly as possible. If you think Honda is difficult to argue with, wait till you argue with a judge! Best of luck, and keep us posted on how it works out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts