Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again friends,

My new-car curse strikes again! Every time I get a new car I get hit somewhere, at some point, before I make a single payment. This time, on my way to work, part of a rouge tire in the middle of the highway was picked up by the car in front of me and hit my grille and radar sensor cover. Luckily, the tire marks were easily able to get rubbed off with a wash, but the grille base and chrome trim are both goners. I found replacement parts on eBay, but more importantly, I now have an issue with the front radar sensor.

While driving and shortly after the impact there were NO ERRORS. To ensure there was no damage to the sensor, I turned the car off and back on, nothing. I thought I was in the clear, however when driving home from work, I got it. ‘ACC problem’, ‘CMBS problem’, ‘ LKAS problem’ and another which escapes me at the moment all came up after a few minutes of driving home. I can revert back to normal cruise control but not ACC, and LKAS will not work at all.

Does the delay in these errors mean the sensor is bad, or does the delay only mean the calibration is off. I’m hoping when these new parts come in the sensor will still be calibrated, but I have my doubts.

Does anyone know anything that might help? Or the price of the sensors / calibrations?

I am also looking at adding LED fog lights and front radar parking sensors, since my bumper will be off. Does anyone know of any good picks?

Thanks!
Tucker.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello again friends,

My new-car curse strikes again! Every time I get a new car I get hit somewhere, at some point, before I make a single payment. This time, on my way to work, part of a rouge tire in the middle of the highway was picked up by the car in front of me and hit my grille and radar sensor cover. Luckily, the tire marks were easily able to get rubbed off with a wash, but the grille base and chrome trim are both goners. I found replacement parts on eBay, but more importantly, I now have an issue with the front radar sensor.

While driving and shortly after the impact there were NO ERRORS. To ensure there was no damage to the sensor, I turned the car off and back on, nothing. I thought I was in the clear, however when driving home from work, I got it. ‘ACC problem’, ‘CMBS problem’, ‘ LKAS problem’ and another which escapes me at the moment all came up after a few minutes of driving home. I can revert back to normal cruise control but not ACC, and LKAS will not work at all.

Does the delay in these errors mean the sensor is bad, or does the delay only mean the calibration is off. I’m hoping when these new parts come in the sensor will still be calibrated, but I have my doubts.

Does anyone know anything that might help? Or the price of the sensors / calibrations?

I am also looking at adding LED fog lights and front radar parking sensors, since my bumper will be off. Does anyone know of any good picks?

Thanks!
Tucker.

sorry for the bad photos, I was in a rush

Attachments

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Good me.

Go to honda tell them what happened and take the calibration hit....out of pocket & mention the tire.

Bad me

Change the grill , leave the rest alone and swing into honda to see if they will ‘look into the errors’.. and hope you get lazy advisors n techs lol

Sucks on the damage.
Bumoer removal is easy if you are handy.
If you need step by step instructions look up the sport bumper accessory installation pdf

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,558 Posts
Hello again friends,

Yes.. I would expect a small time delay between the incident and the errors going off. The various systems would run self-checks at start and likely pass, and then would trigger as soon as it gets conflicting information between the radar and the front facing camera in your windshield. From my understanding, the two systems compare notes during cruise control and safety mitigation.

Simple steps first.. inspect closely and see if the connector to the radar assembly is damaged or disconnected.

Next step, inspect for any signs of the radar assembly having gotten tweaked from the impact. It would not take much to throw it out of alignment.

Question: It was a road hazard, that you could do nothing about avoiding. Why not file a claim with your insurance company and just let the dealer do all the R&R on the impact? If the radar assembly has to be replaced and recalibrated (mandatory with a replacement) it's going to cost a pretty good chunk of $$.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for not getting on more often, no my road hazard only covers damages to my tired. My insurer would not give me any options without first making a claim but wouldn't tell me if I would be liable for my deductible or not, since there was no other party.

BUT I did get it fixed. When I took my bumper off I noticed the radar sensor was tilted down and to the right slightly, I corrected this, and replaced the grill and everything works again. Pics to come.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts