Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bumping unofficial definition:The act of quickly engaging and dis-engaging the starter by turning the ignition key to start and immediately releasing, before the engine "catches".

Several posters are using this method as a work around on CR-Vs that have the "cold start rattle" problem. Some posters warned this practice is not good for the starter and the flywheel.

When I bump, I know this could drain the battery, and it may not have enough juice left to start the engine when I finally decide to start. But, I did not think I was doing anything the starter or the flywheel are not supposed to do.

So, I would be interested to hear other owner's thoughts.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Good question and I can't say if it's bad for the starter or not, but I would think the vtc rattle can't be good for the engine long term so as I posted in the vtc thread, pick your poison.

Considering I'm not bumping year round, I feel my starter will be fine over the course of the year. I'm sure there will be different opinions but since there is no fix by Honda for the vtc, our choices are:

1) bump the engine and see what happens to starter
2) don't bump and see what happens to engine
3) trade the vehicle in

I'm open to other options. I know hondo had good results with an oil accumulator but I'm not that skilled to put one in, otherwise that would probably be my first option. I'm going to try the filters he suggested at next oil change and see if that does anything.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good question and I can't say if it's bad for the starter or not, but I would think the vtc rattle can't be good for the engine long term so as I posted in the vtc thread, pick your poison.

Considering I'm not bumping year round, I feel my starter will be fine over the course of the year. I'm sure there will be different opinions but since there is no fix by Honda for the vtc, our choices are:

1) bump the engine and see what happens to starter
2) don't bump and see what happens to engine
3) trade the vehicle in

I'm open to other options. I know hondo had good results with an oil accumulator but I'm not that skilled to put one in, otherwise that would probably be my first option. I'm going to try the filters he suggested at next oil change and see if that does anything.
I saw your post on the other thread wolf29. So, I wanted to start a separate thread to just discuss the effect of bumping on the starter or flywheel, regardless of why someone decides to bump or not.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
It's a good idea to start a new topic on it. Honda states that the rattle does no harm, so how much faith can we put in that? If I knew 100% that was the case, I'd stop bumping as the 2 second rattle doesn't bother me. I bump not because of the noise but of the potential problem of hearing metal on metal which prevents me from believing Honda's statement(s).

Now on the flip, I'd would like to know with some certainty if there is any potential damage to the starter and which would be worse, starter or vtc? I still think vtc damage would be more catastrophic but I'm no expert. I just think about the # of times you start your car in the course of a day and if a quick bump in the morning will actually do any harm. My feeling is no.

Looking forward to others thoughts on the topic.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Another question would be is the starter covered under any kind of powertrain warranty or extended warranty vs. the vtc actuator or any engine damage? Depending which is covered it would be something to think about in terms of out of pocket costs. There's a TSB for the actuator so I would think that is covered.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
My experience with starters tells me that if I were to be experiencing the VTC rattle, I'd be bumping.

You wear out a starter by grinding it for periods longer than 10 seconds trying to start an engine. They aren't meant to work like an electric motor. They are meant to be used as a 'short duty cycle' device.

If your battery is up to snuff, your charging system is working correctly and your engine is 'in tune', I don't think you'll have any problems bumping.

Just my $.02 for free from out here where it's headed to a balmy 70* or so today.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Just my $.02 for free from out here where it's headed to a balmy 70* or so today.
We got above freezing today. First time since who knows when. Heat wave's a coming :D

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I feel for ya Wolf. My little outside thermom on the north side of the house says it's 73* right now (11:44AM). I just got back from a short bike ride around the neighborhood wearing shorts, a tee shirt and my sandals. Such is life. We've got all the windows and sliding door open in the house too. Frishe luft. Gotta love it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts