Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm wondering if its normal to burn a half quart of oil every 1,000 miles. Thinking that maybe it was the quality of oil I was putting in my 2010 CRV, this time I used Mobil 1 High mileage advanced full synthetic 0w20 and it is still burning a half quart of oil every 1,000 miles. Any suggestions on any additives that might help curb the amount of oil I am burning? Its garage kept and the floor is bone dry everyday so I know there is no leak. Your input is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2022 CRV EX FWD 2013 CRV EX FWD
3,302 Posts
There is a TSB out for 2010 CRV's for the burning oil issue. Use the search function to find it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
2010&2011 crvs have the lowest tension oil control rings of all model years, along with civic si and 2.4 accords in these years.Because of this many (but not all) will use some oil -it gets by these low tension rings and gets burned -if its bad enough ie; 1 qt in less than 1k miles and is confirmed by Honda they may replace your pistons/rings -however you are at 1qt in about 2k miles -right? So I dont think they will help you as many people with that engine are using that much. You could switch to castrol edge 0w-30 synthetic and probably reduce consumption somewhat -maybe to 1 qt in 3k. (my experience with same engine -it uses less w/castrol 0w-30 or 40 than with M1 0w-20 or any 0w-20.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Problem with oil rings, luckily you may get it resolved under an extended warranty that honda provides due to class action suit. But don't delay your time is running out, see link below
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro...extended-for-excess-oil-consumption/index.htm
Well huge news. I had the oil consumption test done and I got approved for them to replace my piston rings at no charge. We used up over 2 quarts in a little over 500 miles. I did not have to drive it until the oil light came on. They told me to just come in when its low and they will top it off. Well in 2 weeks it went from the top of the dipstick to the bottom. Based on the consumption and mileage they said honda should approve it, and they did.

Of course the typical thing happened at the stealership once they had it on their rack though. They got my CRV apart and then called to tell me that my timing chain is stretched and worn out so it should be replaced. I asked why it needed to be done after only 120,000 miles since timing chains are supposed to last much longer than timing belts and they told me it was becuase the car had run low on oil due to it burning so much oil. They went on to tell me that its not part of the warranty but since they already have the car apart it will only cost me $500 in parts, no labor. Frustrated that I am going to have to shell out money, I pay it knowing I practically have a rebuilt engine.

Well now here is the kicker, I got it back last week and here we are 6 days later and I have a puddle of oil on my garage floor. We have owned this car almost a year and never had a drop of oil on the garage floor and now its leaking a lot. I have an appointment to take it back in to be looked at but I will blow my top if they expect me to pay for them to fix the oil leak. I will let you all know how it goes.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
3,093 Posts
Glad to hear you were able to get the oil rings replace under warranty. As for the timing chain, I would of asked them to replace it since the engine was a part and it had 120k miles on it, without them asking. Cheaper now than later. The oil leak should be a problem to fix just a PITA.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Timing chain will last up over 200k with proper maintanence. It is not a timing belt that needs to be replaced at 100k or less. CRV I bought last fall had 200k on it and I put a chain in it because I was in the motor anyway, though tensioner was no where near "chain is stretched, change it" point. I actually put that chain and tensioner in a 2.4 I just put in an Accord I bought with toasted motor.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
244 Posts
Problem with oil rings, luckily you may get it resolved under an extended warranty that honda provides due to class action suit. But don't delay your time is running out, see link below
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro...extended-for-excess-oil-consumption/index.htm
Well huge news. I had the oil consumption test done and I got approved for them to replace my piston rings at no charge. We used up over 2 quarts in a little over 500 miles. I did not have to drive it until the oil light came on. They told me to just come in when its low and they will top it off. Well in 2 weeks it went from the top of the dipstick to the bottom. Based on the consumption and mileage they said honda should approve it, and they did.

Of course the typical thing happened at the stealership once they had it on their rack though. They got my CRV apart and then called to tell me that my timing chain is stretched and worn out so it should be replaced. I asked why it needed to be done after only 120,000 miles since timing chains are supposed to last much longer than timing belts and they told me it was becuase the car had run low on oil due to it burning so much oil. They went on to tell me that its not part of the warranty but since they already have the car apart it will only cost me $500 in parts, no labor. Frustrated that I am going to have to shell out money, I pay it knowing I practically have a rebuilt engine.

Well now here is the kicker, I got it back last week and here we are 6 days later and I have a puddle of oil on my garage floor. We have owned this car almost a year and never had a drop of oil on the garage floor and now its leaking a lot. I have an appointment to take it back in to be looked at but I will blow my top if they expect me to pay for them to fix the oil leak. I will let you all know how it goes.
Wow. Don't know if I would trust that dealership. They cheap out and replace the rings with the engine in the car?

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Have you ever re-ringed an engine???

I rebuild engines as part of my job and unless the oil pan cant come out without removing the motor, I never pull a 4 cylinder engine to replace rings. Done v6 and v8s in rear wheel drives as well that way if there is room in the engine bay. Have seen some of these engines still going strong 10 yrs later (ppl here keep their cars till they completely die).

Has NOTHING to do with being cheap, there is simply not a single reason to pull the motor beyond wasting time. And k24 motors kind of suck to remove (literally just finished one 3 hours ago, 2005 accord).

Only time engine needs to be removed for internal repair, replacing main crank bearings unless of course access cant be gained without removing the motor. There is no reason to if its not absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Have you ever re-ringed an engine???

I rebuild engines as part of my job and unless the oil pan cant come out without removing the motor, I never pull a 4 cylinder engine to replace rings. Done v6 and v8s in rear wheel drives as well that way if there is room in the engine bay. Have seen some of these engines still going strong 10 yrs later (ppl here keep their cars till they completely die).

Has NOTHING to do with being cheap, there is simply not a single reason to pull the motor beyond wasting time. And k24 motors kind of suck to remove (literally just finished one 3 hours ago, 2005 accord).

Only time engine needs to be removed for internal repair, replacing main crank bearings unless of course access cant be gained without removing the motor. There is no reason to if its not absolutely necessary.

At that point you are basically overhauling the engine. You might as well remove the who engine to replace gaskets and actually get to the components.
Kind of like replacing a clutch or transmission in a FWD car. By the time you remove axles, links, bolts etc, you might as well yank the motor with the transmission. Manufacturers install the engines and transmissions in one unit. They don't assemble the engine while its in the car.
Mechanics working for stealerships work on flat rate so will use the quickest method to churn and burn.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Tigris99 -On k24 re-ring Honda tsb calls for piston replacment not just rings -do you think thats because replacement pistons are different or just too hard to get clean? (2010-2011 crvs accords)?Also they dont call for any honing of cylinders?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Glad to hear you were able to get the oil rings replace under warranty. As for the timing chain, I would of asked them to replace it since the engine was a part and it had 120k miles on it, without them asking. Cheaper now than later. The oil leak should be a problem to fix just a PITA.
Well it was the crankshaft seal that was leaking. The dealership noted that it was most likely leaking due to them recently doing major work on my engine so they replaced it for free. What a relief!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Tigris99 -On k24 re-ring Honda tsb calls for piston replacment not just rings -do you think thats because replacement pistons are different or just too hard to get clean? (2010-2011 crvs accords)?Also they dont call for any honing of cylinders?
That's because the pistons were undersized to begin with. Run it long enough and i am sure the cylinders will get oblonged.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
You can still do all that in the car. Doing it as piston and rings together is easier and likely that they made an update piston.

Honing in the car is no problem, thats what rags and brake cleaner are for. Rags to keep the crap off the crank, brake clean to rinse the cylinders (or soap and water but not a fan of water near oil inside a motor). Take the rags off the crank and install pistons/rods. Takes longer to dig the head off these engines than anything else on the entire damn vehicle. Think swapping the motor is easier than pulling a head lol.

And Road slug, I do this for a living and its FAR from the easiest method to just pull everything all at once. Actually takes long and far more time/work to accomplish nothing but getting pissed off when fighting to separate and then reassemble the entire thing to put back in.

They wouldnt make supports and equipment to do all that if it didnt cut repair time in half and greatly reduce the risk of damage to other parts. I mean seriously, pull it all to put a clutch in??? If yoyr rebuilding everything then ya pull it all, if not, remove only what is needed to save countless hours, paid by the hour or flat rate.

Yes they install as an assembly, thats how a factory works. If you actually did any of that work especially on a regular basis where your paycheck depends on being done right but being done quickly you would sing a different tune really fast or get fired in under a week.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm glad to hear that the OP got treated right.
We're not having much luck. Anyone have any reccommendations as to how to deal with Honda? The past two oil changes I have done, there has only been 1 quart of oil left in the reservoir. We've taken the car to Honda five times now and they have said that there is no issue with the car's oil consumption. We go again in a couple hundred miles.

·
Registered
215 Posts
We're not having much luck. Anyone have any reccommendations as to how to deal with Honda? The past two oil changes I have done, there has only been 1 quart of oil left in the reservoir. We've taken the car to Honda five times now and they have said that there is no issue with the car's oil consumption. We go again in a couple hundred miles.
What model and what mileage on the motor?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.