Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I smell burning oil smell when my crv starting. It only has 450 miles on it. I read some information online that it is normal for a new car. Did you experience the same?

Thanks

·
Registered
783 Posts
A burning oil smell is certainly not normal in any new car. What is normal is the smell of paint curing on hot parts, but this should disappear quickly. Have you checked the oil level? Noticed any oil spots on the ground where you park? It's possible oil was spilled if the dealer topped up the level before delivery, but this should also dissipate. If it persists, I'd take it in.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Possibly an oil/fluid is leaking onto the exhaust system. Put a big piece of light colored cardboard under the engine bay and see what shows up. Craig

·
Registered
182 Posts
This may help. I have had new cars from various manufacturers (Audi, Porsche, Lexus, Toyota, Honda and Cadillac) and they all had a smell similar to burning oil. Every dealership said it was normal and it disappeared after a few hundred miles. I'm not a mechanic, but I have to side with multiple people saying the same thing at different times. Just to be on the safe side, take it in or just check for signs of leaking oil.

http://ask.cars.com/2010/04/is-it-common-to-smell-burning-oil-when-driving-a-new-car.html

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for suggestions.
The smell seems disappeared recently, but I'll try to see if there is a leakage somewhere.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts