Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 awd with about 113k. It's burning around 1/4qt of oil every month or two, or about half qt between oil changes. No oil spots under car. Any ideas what could be causing this? Is this common around this mileage? Praying it's not piston rings starting to fail. Any help or suggestions are warmly welcomed

·
Everything in Moderation
7,745 Posts
One quarter of a quart between oil changes (at least 5,000 miles) is nothing. Not an issue!

Just check the oil level once a month. Once it gets near the bottom of the dipstick line, add a quart. (<--- that is good, as you will replenish the additives in the oil)

Most manufacturers (not just Honda) will not redress any oil burning issue unless you are using more than ONE QUART per THOUSAND miles.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
That's not what Alley Oop said.;):giggle:

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Mr Buff, you forgot to say absolutely, positively at the top line because that is what the industry standard says and nobody will buy your used car if they check the oil level and it is not absolutely, positively at the top line.;):giggle:

·
Everything in Moderation
7,745 Posts
My background is in old British sports cars.

So, I subscribe to the philosophy "As long as its still leaking, its not out of oil yet"

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
ROTFLMAO..........brilliant!(y)(y)

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Haha thank you boys for the reassurance as well as the laugh. Much appreciated.
Stick around Mr. 13.......you ain't heard nothin' yet. Keep checkin’ that dipstick.👍

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a 2015 awd with about 113k. It's burning around 1/4qt of oil every month or two, or about half qt between oil changes. No oil spots under car. Any ideas what could be causing this? Is this common around this mileage? Praying it's not piston rings starting to fail. Any help or suggestions are warmly welcomed
An additional bit of info, you really don't have to imagine the rings "failing". They may get worse, over time, but to actually "fail"... no. Compression could lessen, making the vehicle feel sluggish somewhat, you could see oil burning in the exhaust...

But most people would have the rings replaced prior to that. I did that to the first car I ever owned. The rings and the main crank shaft bearings. It was quite an experience for a kid. It was many moons ago.

Don't think there's any way I'd attempt that today, with all the complicated components / connections etc. My first vehicle was a triumph tr3, a lot more simple and straight forward.

A 1/4 of a quart a month (or 2)? I'd bet you have a long long way to go before that gets really dirty and annoying, but they won't fail and 'cease to function'. It's wear and tear, not broken. Good luck with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts