Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced a smell similar to that of burning plastic, outside the car, after driving for awhile? Honda claims its the plastic cover over the turbocharger. I'm trying to discover if this is a 1-off problem or if others have the same issue. I also want to discover if this is a potential hazardous problem.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,025 Posts
Years I use to smell... so for me its the Norm. nothing new but maybe keep looking to see if any damage is happening take some photos let us know....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone experienced a smell similar to that of burning plastic, outside the car, after driving for awhile? Honda claims its the plastic cover over the turbocharger. I'm trying to discover if this is a 1-off problem or if others have the same issue. I also want to discover if this is a potential hazardous problem.
Yes, same thing on my 1 week old 2020 Honda Civic. I have not contacted dealer yet, but I believe it is the turbo...

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,918 Posts
Yes, same thing on my 1 week old 2020 Honda Civic. I have not contacted dealer yet, but I believe it is the turbo...
First.. different noses.. different sensitivity and perceptions of "smells".

Second...brand new vehicle from the factory. It is going to outgas all kinds of smells until the vehicle has been driven for a while.

And yeah.. with all the plastic in these modern Hondas.. it is going to include some outgasing from plastics.

Did you know the PCV system on the 1.5T is made using a high grade plastic housing? It's a rather sophisticated and effective PCV system as well.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,025 Posts
Just another note: cleaning your inside windshield some?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Maybe a piece of road garbage is stuck to your exhaust system.
(Plastic bags are everywhere.)

But if your car is very new, it's probably just normal outgassing.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Yup. Plastics never stop outgassing. New plastics will outgas more in the beginning. That will eventually settle down and be less over time, but will never stop completely. Well, maybe in about ten thousand years, depending on what it is. Of course, by then we won't care. But right now it's a smelly world we live in, even if we don't smell it. The smell doesn't bother me that much, but the fact that I'm breathing it? That is another matter altogether.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I had the burning plastic smell when the car was new but it went away after a short while

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts