Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I just bought my new crv 2014 about 2 weeks. During Thanksgiving, I drove a lot (now it is about 1000 miles already). After the mileage >300 miles, it starts to have a little bit of burning smell (maybe plastic burning smell but low, but once or twice about 5~10 mins it was strong on the highway, probably right after I hit the break harder ). Is it normal for a new car? Will it go away later?

I also found when idle it is rougher then before (not big though) and its exhaust chrome finisher shows some carbon power, but my friend's 3-month new Accord doesn't show any on his exhaust chrome finisher.

carbon.jpg

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
The burning smell is normal for new cars. There may have been some fluids spilled on exhaust during manufacture there is new paint on things that get hot (brakes) etc. Just in case get it warmed by driving till the temp guage is half way or normal and park it where there is no wind (garage with door closed engine off) check under the hood with a light as best you can for loose plastic parts, and quickly check under the car for the same. Feel the wheels near the rims for excessive heat. You could have a brake dragging. Check the emergency brake released (brake light should be off with key on and you should be able to easily push the car in neutral and it should roll a bit after you stop pushing. The garage should smell of burnt plastic at some point. If this is the case take it back to the dealer, burnt oil smell, normal, burnt plastic smell, not so normal.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I had a bit of an odor, on the car that is, when I first got it. Went away after a while. I've also have had that on my chrome exhaust tip and also on my previous accord. So it depends what and how things "burn off".

If it keeps up, take in to the dealer for a double check.

Congrats on the new V by the way.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Our new '13 EX was so new and was out gassing so bad it was incredible.
We got ours 'right off the truck' and in the hot August heat the out gassing of the interior was really something.
We left it out on the driveway in the sun, windows open to let the fumes out.
Parked in the garage with the windows open overnight and next morning it smelled like a new car in there too!
It has finally settled down some to the point we don't really notice it, but other people comment that it 'smells like a new car'.

·
Registered
71 Posts
check for plastic splash pan clearance from the exhaust pipe, the exhaust manifold and other hot parts in the system (EGR valve, etc). Our front splash pan slowly melted away from the exhaust down pipe until it created its own clearance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much for all your answers!

Today, I just drove about 200 miles. I am siting in my office and my jacket has burning smell right now :(. I also got the TPM problem (tire pressure light keeps coming back.) Finally today is Friday, I will take a detailed look at my new car (hood, splash pan etc) at the weekend.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm experiencing the same this on our, less than 1 month old and under 600 miles 2014 E-XL. Took it in today to have it looked at. They didn't find anything but was told that because of the placement of the tail pipe to the rear tire, that the heat will make the paint mlgive off an odor for a bit but should go away.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've had a similar experience. My wife could not stand to be in the car for the first few days because of the new car smell. We have been keeping the car in the garage with the windows and sun roof open to help get rid of the smell of chemicals and plastic. Amazing how much out gassing the interior plastics go through at first. I am not concerned because the smell has mostly gone away.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts