Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have burnt clutch smeel in auto trans oil has been there since i got it but never took much notice as service did not show any problems. and the other day it made skeaching noise going up hill did not seam overly steep but did not sound good.

2004 crv auto 80,000km

·
Registered
841 Posts
have burnt clutch smeel in auto trans oil has been there since i got it but never took much notice as service did not show any problems. and the other day it made skeaching noise going up hill did not seam overly steep but did not sound good.

2004 crv auto 80,000km
The transmission has probably been over heated. This oxidizes/burns the ATF and clutch plates. Even though your V is not due for a fluid change yet (maintenance schedule calls for change at 120,000 miles) you should do it now and probably do a 3X change to get as much contamination out of the transmission as possible.

You might want to do a forum search for other threads on "changing ATF" or "AT fluid change". There are many. I'm sure other forum members (AT guys) will also have advise for you. Stay tuned.:)

·
Registered
2,581 Posts

2004 crv auto 80,000km
Change the transmission fluid. It is very easy to do on a CR-V.

Just drain.
Refill
Drive long enough to get the trans to get into all gears, including overdrive.

Drain
Refill
Drive long enough to get the trans to get into all gears, including overdrive.

Repeat once more to make a total of 3 times.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Don't Flush A Honda Transmission

Red, your slipping. You forgot your usual admonishment to never flush a Honda automatic transmission.

Red can explain it better, but you should not get your transmission flushed. It may clog passages with debris.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys

thank for your help but can explane more about why you should not have oil flushed as i have been talking to honda about it there mech said he will flush it in service on tuesday should i let them it there **** up if they **** it or are they likly to put it back on me so i have to foot the bill.he siad he will give trans full service.

·
Registered
841 Posts
thank for your help but can explane more about why you should not have oil flushed as i have been talking to honda about it there mech said he will flush it in service on tuesday should i let them it there **** up if they **** it or are they likly to put it back on me so i have to foot the bill.he siad he will give trans full service.
This thread is information direct from Honda: http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/t2324/

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Flushing

Again, I am not an expert on this, but if you read the link that Tsmithvt provided, you will see that what Honda calls "flushing" is actually draining and refilling 3 times with some driving "on the lift" in between.

What you need to avoid is external power flushing machines. Apparrently they can displace crud from harmless places in the transmission into some of the tight flow passages and create transmission problems.

Print the info in the link and take it with you and ask if this is the procedure that they intend to use. If they are going to use a power flusher then ask to see the service manager and show him the printed copy of the link and demand that they follow Honda's recommended procedure.

Also note, you must use Honda ATF.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts