Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

Buy a 2016, knowing the 2015 Vibration issue??

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the market for 2 SUVs as we have returned to the USA from living abroad. Loved our 2011 CRV EX-L AWD....And very disheartened to read about the 2015 Vibration issue.....Concerned enough to just cross off the CRV and up until now have test drove a lot of vehicles, but not the CRV. 1 vehicle we are buying is the Subaru outback as I loved it! Wife plans to go with the 2016 Tucson, but I know she would prefer a fully loaded CRV. So would you take a chance with the 2016s as Honda says the vibration issue is fixed??????

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've had both, a '15 touring and now own a '16 touring. The difference is night and day...... Go ahead and purchase the '16 with no worries...

Good luck

·
Registered
381 Posts
My understanding is that the 2015/2016 are 100% identical, and that the 2016's left the factory with the TSB improvements pre-installed. Some of the early 2015 models had a vibration issue, especially at idle, but the TSB addresses it.

Personally, I have two 2015 tourings, both manufactured in September 2015. They have been flawless with no issues at all. I was able to save over 4k each by going with the 2015 branded car instead of the 2016 sticker, which was a deal closer for me :) Should they ever get the vibration issue, i'll have no problem requesting them apply the TSB. :)

Either year label you choose, it's a great vehicle. So far we love them. SO much better than our previous 1999 CRV. They have added so many luxury features and gadgetry, since 1999.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My understanding is that the 2015/2016 are 100% identical, and that the 2016's left the factory with the TSB improvements pre-installed. Some of the early 2015 models had a vibration issue, especially at idle, but the TSB addresses it.

Personally, I have two 2015 tourings, both manufactured in September 2015. They have been flawless with no issues at all. I was able to save over 4k each by going with the 2015 branded car instead of the 2016 sticker, which was a deal closer for me :) Should they ever get the vibration issue, i'll have no problem requesting them apply the TSB. :)

Either year label you choose, it's a great vehicle. So far we love them. SO much better than our previous 1999 CRV. They have added so many luxury features and gadgetry, since 1999.
ty for feedback

I think all vehicles in the class have greatly improved since we were last in the market--Fall of 2010--test driving 2011 models!! I was amazed in the difference of the Rogue and CRV, especially the rogue.

Will test drive a 2016 CRV Touring model, as it has everything my wife wants....I guess if it is love, it will be adios Tucson and welcome Honda, as we loved our 2011 CRV. Nothing super fancy about it, was just a dependable vehicle..survived Nicaragua and Ecuador--where it remains,lol

·
Registered
522 Posts
I would not buy one. Some say the 2015 and 2016's are identical. With some of the 'fixes' applied? I'm sure you have read about some of the problems already.

Lot of money involved. Honda has been horrible responding to 2015 problems. There are other choices.

You asked. :eek:

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would not buy one. Some say the 2015 and 2016's are identical. With some of the 'fixes' applied? I'm sure you have read about some of the problems already.

Lot of money involved. Honda has been horrible responding to 2015 problems. There are other choices.

You asked. :eek:
I did ask,lol

I guess everyones opinion on how Honda has handled it has varied.....For a manufacturer to admit there is a problem and then come up to a solution is not an easy task.....I think they handled it fairly quickly......But I guess the bigger question I have is it a true fix that is going to last the lifetime of the vehicle.....or a few miles/years down the road the vibration returns??? Guess Time will tell...... I find it interesting that some have had the fix and it worked.....While others, the issue remains, but has greatly improved, and others not as fortunate. Is it simply that some technicians are better than others? So many questions,lol If I had never owned a CRV before, and loved it so much, it would not even be on our list. choices choices......ty all

·
Registered
522 Posts
flames9,

I'm on my third CRV. Five Hondas in total. So you could say I'm a long time Honda fan. IMO, the way they have handled the vibration issue is a disgrace. Took them a year. Kept selling and selling. And the final fix is only a partial fix. Do they even know why some are affected by the vibration issue and other are not? Sure doesn't look like it does it? Some have it immediately, some after many miles. Apply the TSB if you have problem #1 or $2 or $3. Ban aid. Put out fires. That's all it is. And like you said, not always successful.

And to those who say some vibration is normal for a 4 cyl. I say BS. You have any vibration on your 2011? I bet not.

I'll wait till Gen 5 comes along before I even consider another CRV.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, no vibrations on my 2011.....But I do believe..or want to believe that Honda ants to do it right, as 1 would think it would be money savings thing to do the fix right the 1st time. But what do I know,lol

·
Registered
868 Posts
My 2 cents.

I'm a Honda guy. My 2011 is my third CRV as well. I challenge anyone to tell me that some vibrations are 'normal'. But for those who don't mind them, fine.

Not a fan of how Honda is handling current owner's problems. I would not buy a current CRV.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We have test drove a lot of vehicles and were impressed on how it seemed they all have improved greatly, thus was execting the same form the 2016 CRV Touring AWD....We loved our 2011 CRV EX-L AWD.....test drove a 2016 CRV touring AWD today.....we walked away not that impressed. Don't get me wrong it was nice (no vibrations) but it just was not love. Wife did not like not having blind side avoidance....guess Honda figured a bigger driver mirror was a good solution....and having the mian display show the passenger side, which we just found annoying, and shouldn't ones eyes be up and not down? So no CRV for us, which disappoints us. Funny---when I told the salesman I was going with a Subaru Outback for my vehicle, he said good choice, but when We said my Wife preferred the 2016 Hyundai Tucson, he said he was suprised as Hyundai has nothing but issues with their vehicles...which is news to me,lol

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have a Santa Fe and a CRV, didn't care for the Tuscon as much. The Santa Fe is the best of the three albeit in a different class. The CRV drives more like a car while the SF is an SUV. The CRV holds it resale value very well which probably makes it the cheapest to own.

·
Registered
442 Posts
no major issues with the hyundai from what little I know, their quality has improved greatly over the years but not on par with Honda and Toyota. My mechanic says after the 7-8 year mark you see more repairs in Hyundai compared to Honda and Toyota.
Also real world fuel economy with Tuscon is disappointing, all the other vehicles in this segment get much better mileage.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Test drove a Santa Fe, we liked it, but its too big for our needs. At 1 time we were going to go with a Santa Fe and a Tucson.....that changed when I fell in love with the Subaru Outback,lol...Adios Santa FE, as the outback as the size we require and better gas MPG, and love eyesight, especially the adaptive cruise control. I'm on a Tucson forum and people seem to really enjoy the fully loaded Tucson, of course its a very small sampling of owners, and yes its pricier and smaller than most others in its class. We loved our 2012 Tucson, and many say the quality is on par with Honda/Toyota, guess its all who talk to or what articles u read online. Hyundai is one of the more popular makers in Central and South America (where we have lived) So I do have some confidence in the brand,lol

·
Registered
868 Posts
Don't want to change the subject, but is it too personal to ask why you were away? Work? What field?

My daughter has a 2012 Tucson. No problems at all since brand new. My son has a 2013 Escape. I have a 2011 CRV. Out of all of them, I like the Escape the best. I know. It's a Ford. But amazing engine. Great features. Great looks. Best small SUV sales here in Canada for many consecutive years. If I were in the market right now.....................

Ok. Shoot me. :p

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't want to change the subject, but is it too personal to ask why you were away? Work? What field?

My daughter has a 2012 Tucson. No problems at all since brand new. My son has a 2013 Escape. I have a 2011 CRV. Out of all of them, I like the Escape the best. I know. It's a Ford. But amazing engine. Great features. Great looks. Best small SUV sales here in Canada for many consecutive years. If I were in the market right now.....................

Ok. Shoot me. :p
I'm a RN.....

Friend had a 2013 Escape....he called it the garage queen....as it spent more time broken down at the garage,lol but of course every manufacturer makes a lemon or 3. He sold that and bought Jeep.....not sure how that is going to work out for him, lol Bought my Subaru last night...not sure when I will pick it up, as they have to find it, but they promised less than 2 weeks......May re-consider the Rogue, as it was my wifes favorite,and many of the 2015/16 owners say the CVT has improved, but I need to do more research on that. Tucson scares me as its the 1st yr of a major model change.....And they forgot to add on the welcome lights on the 1st batch...minor yes, but what else did they forget,lol

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not that anyone cares, but for the 2nd vehicle, we went with a 2016 Subaru Forster, touring edition. Wife loved the car and figured it was the safest bet, long term wise...time will tell

·
Registered
868 Posts
Congratulations. Made the decision and now you can relax. All Subaru family. What is the availability right now? Two or more months waiting lists around here for Foresters. They're still imported from Japan, right? Outback's made in US?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I believe they make many of the models now in the USA at their Indiana plant....May still build the Forester in Japan, but dont quote me on that.

The 2016 Outback in Venetian red with Black leather was a dealer swap....Think it should be at my dealer today......The Wifes Forester is coming from the port and should be ready to go by the end of the week..... It appears Subaru is not like the bigger makers, if you want a specific color combo, you may have to wait a bit. Will see how it works for me....don't actually have the vehicles in hand yet,lol

·
Registered
453 Posts
The Outback was my first choice. My Camry was dying and it was going to take a few weeks to get the Outback.

Bought the CRV, wish I had purchased the Outback, though it was going to be a little over my budget.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for all the impartial opinions. Good to see on a Honda forum.

I have a 2010 CR-V EX-L AWD and am considering a Forester or CR-V. I'm worried about the CR-V vibration issue too. But Subaru folks complain that they burn oil. I guess no car is without flaws.

Potential flaws aside, the one thing that draws me to the CR-V is cargo room aft of the rear seat. With 2 kids, 2 dogs, and lots of luggage to haul on trips with the CR-V I'm afraid the Forester gives up too much space.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts