Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buy EX-L '14 certified used or '16 Brand New?

3K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Apdluu 
#1 ·
Hey Guys

In the market for a almost-new or brand new, solid SUV for the wife, who will use it for local soccer mom, etc stuff. Occasional minor minor off-road (which will be hard packed gravel roads for reaching Boy Scout camp sites, etc)

I travel alot out of town for work and momma needs a solid reliable SUV.

With that said, I wanted to ask

1. how much different is the 2016 from a 2014 or even a 2013, for those purposes. Lean towards AWD, just for the enhanced safety in rain and light snow.

2. What year did the CMBS safety system start as an feature ? The safer the better, for the wife and kids.

3. When should I purchase this ? I prefer to wait until after Christmas. What is "best" for deal-making at Honda ?

Thank You

:)

See less See more
#2 ·
2015+ has a CVT and direct-injection engine, better MPG.

Older cars have a traditional 5 speed automatic.

Look at the Home Page of the Forums and you will see specs for the various generations/updates.

If you are financing, you will get a better interest rate on a new car, plus more of the enhanced safety features that are being added to new cars all the time. The Honda year end incentives are nice (these are factory deals.) So, the dollar outlay between new & used might be very close.

Do your shopping right after Christmas but before the new year. See if the salesman would like to sell "one more car this year". :rolleyes: EVIL GRIN
I took delivery of my '06 on the last working day of the year, got almost 20% off.

Oh, Good Luck with your purchase!

#4 ·
Depends on the price. Nothing like a new car and used CRVs hold their value well. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used 2014 with less than 20k miles that was like new as long as it was a good price.

I drive a lot of miles and I bought a certified 2 year old Santa Fe with 18k miles for my wife for $15.5k. That was a great deal. Doubt you will touch a CRV for that.

#5 ·
1. how much different is the 2016 from a 2014 or even a 2013, for those purposes. Lean towards AWD, just for the enhanced safety in rain and light snow.
Styling, "Earth Dreams" engine, CVT, Honda Sensing (CMBS, adaptive cruise control, lane keeping assist, lane departure warning) on the Touring, LaneWatch on the EX & above, infotainment changes are the principal differences with the 2015+.

AWD helps you get going, it does not help you stop. While it tends to be sold as a safety feature, it's really about being better able to keep on providing motive force when going up an icy hill or moving off quickly from an uncertain surface. The situation where safety is enhanced by going faster on a slippery surface is a rare one indeed.

Spend the $1,250 premium on season-appropriate tires first for better traction before plonking down the money for AWD (or do both and subsequently have the dealership mechanic describe your CR-V as a "tank"). AWD will help you get out of a snow bank you've slid off the road into, but at that point the immediate danger is already over and it's better to have the tires best able to help avoid getting into that situation in the first place.

2. What year did the CMBS safety system start as an feature ? The safer the better, for the wife and kids.
That would be 2015, Touring trim only. It's not available as an option for lower trim levels.

If your principal concern is safety, the 2015 resolved the small overlap crash test shortcoming of the 2012/13/14. That's true of all trim levels.

#7 ·
Since no one has mentioned it, I would be careful and make sure the vehicle does not suffer from what is called the VTC rattle, my 2014 CRV AWD had it and was traded in with 20,000 miles. Google Honda VTC rattle for more info. Or see video below.

https://youtu.be/in8lTA9Bckc
Or the 2015 having vibration issues. The '16 apparently doesn't have these problems. I've had the VTC rattle 3 or 4 times in my two years of ownership. I'm not too worried about it honestly, but everyone is different.

#11 ·
Honda automobiles hold their value so buying a 2014 may still be expensive and you won't know how the car was driven or maintained. The 2016 with the Honda Sensing option will be safer and the better gas milaige will pay you back at the pump. My wife loves her 2015 EX FWD and we don't have the idle vibration issue. She gets 29 to 30 MPG around town with lots of short trips in stop and go driving. We took the car on a 250 mile road trip and got 37 MPG at 70 to 75 MPH.

Best time to buy will be between Christmas and New Years. Dealers hate carrying inventory into the next year.

#13 ·
Perhaps the leftover 2015's should be a consideration, too, because you can get such a good deal on them now. I got over 4k off the 2015 touring model, and the 15/16 are the same vehicle. No vibration or other issues, they are great vehicles so far. (we bought 2 actually, from different dealers)

We were able to get that kind of discount 5 weeks ago, so they're probably even more motivated to clear them out by now. Colors may be limited, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.