Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the base LX model CR-V

Am trying to determine if we should buy new 2019 (25k ish I guess) or 1 year old 2018
This would be the standard 1.5L engine which I think (maybe wrong) that since it is not the turbo does not have the oil dilution issue?

So any thoughts? new or used? Savings is around 4k at most.

Also any dealers people don't hate in the Boston area?

Thanks!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Buy new or 1 year old used??

New, why? Because the price difference is minimal. Now IF we are talking about 5-10 years apart then its a different story

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I wouldn't call a $4000 difference as minimal; then add up the lesser sales tax, registration fees, insurance costs, etc.
Not sure why insurance costs would differ. We went from a 2010 CR-V we bought in 2010 to a 2019 (not a V, but cost $4k more) and our insurance went up $60/yr.

To the OP: It depends on how long you plan to keep it. The longer, the less important the one year makes. As depreciation will keep getting closer.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
This would be the standard 1.5L engine which I think (maybe wrong) that since it is not the turbo does not have the oil dilution issue?
The LX models come with a 2.4L engine with no turbocharger.

There have been a few reports of oil dilution with the 2.4L engine.
The oil dilution appears to be caused by the change from using a fuel rail to get fuel into the engine, to a direct injection design.
The turbo appears to make the problem worse.

https://autoexpert.com.au/posts/engine-oil-diluted-with-fuel-the-facts-for-2018

·
Registered
1,181 Posts

Am trying to determine if we should buy new 2019 (25k ish I guess) or 1 year old 2018

Thanks!
1) If you read this forum you would think Oil Dilution is a curse on the 1.5l CR-V. They have sold nearly one half million of them but the number of people who report "OD" is very small. I just checked on the 2018 model at the NTSB and they had a "few" complaints. Few in this case something like one-tenth of one percent of the vehicles sold. Or in simple English 99.9% of the owners of the 2018 CR-V had no complaints with the NTSB over defects. If you read "official" sources you will find this to be the case. A CR article stated they had received maybe a dozen reports of OD but then said there were "hundreds of reports" if you read the Honda Forums. Again, compare this to the total number of vehicles sold. The numbers don't jive. There have been some cases of OD and no one is saying there has not. But, if you look at the actual hard data the chances of having this problem is very, very small. My 2017 CR-V was a perfect a car as I have ever owned. It never had any of the issues I read about on this forum. I am not alone in that experience. There are good reasons why Honda sells so many CR-V's. There are several in our family and all are well loved by their owners and none have ever had an issue. On this forum you can get flamed just for pointing this out.

2) The LX myth. Do some research. Look at the price of a new LX and a new EX and a EX-L or Touring. Now, consult Kelly Blue Book or one of the other used car price guides (and look at actual cars for sale in your area) and compare the used value of a LX and the EX, EL-L or Touring after a period, say five years. Normally what you will find is that the LX has a very low resale value. Same goes for AWD. Here in the midwest if you buy a FWD CR-V to "save" a few bucks, your used value down the road can be $4,000 less! Saving money? Worse yet, you buy a FWD LX, drive it five or so years and then lose money compared to what you would have sold an EX for. So you drive a 'cheap" car and it costs you more than if you had bought the better model! Is that "saving"?

I am an automotive professional, its what I spent my life doing. I look at FACTS, hard data. The facts and data will tell the story if you make the effort to read them and comprehend what they say. End of today's automotive lecture. Thank you...:)

·
Registered
476 Posts

Thanks!
4,000 is not a great discount for a used car that will be 2 years old in a few
months when new cars come out.
They could take a couple more thousand off.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
You can't know the answer until you find a used car you like and get the actual price. I bought my 2016 EX-L when it was about 6 months old because I ran across it at a Ford dealer while looking at a new Escape. I didn't plan on buying a used one but it just happened to be exactly the car I wanted within 2 miles of my house (the closest dealer is 60 miles away).

·
Administrator
3,444 Posts
I'm biased in favor of the 2.4 but only because I have one in my 2016.

LX models always seem to get traded more frequently-perhaps people decide they want more gadgets. You need to tell us actual prices. The old adage of "$4k off what " applies.

·
Registered
2016 CR-V EX-L
152 Posts
All the posters bring up some good points. You may be one of the folks that wants basic transportation and if so the LX would represent a good option. I don't know the specifics but my guess is that Honda produces way more CR-V's that are more fully optioned so there would be more of those available on the used market. Unless you absolutely don't want some of the features available on a higher trim model I would take a look at the CR-V's available in your part of the world. I have attempted to drop in a link for 2015 through 2018 models in the Boston area:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=cargurusTM&newSearchFromOverviewPage=true&inventorySearchWidgetType=AUTO&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=c24684&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=c27243&zip=02133&distance=50&searchChanged=true&modelChanged=true&filtersModified=true

If the desire is to get a good, solid, dependable vehicle I bought a used 2016 over a year ago that has given me great service with a minimum of expense. My plan is to keep it another 5 to 8 years so the depreciation business doesn't mean much to me. If you plan on trading in a couple of years you'll need to take a closer look at the impact.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was in the same spot as you. I had a 2010 CRV (Oil consumption issue) and wanted to get rid of it. I looked at this forum and found out that people look here because they are concerned and then they see both sides of the coin with people insulting each other and then they close the thread. I am pretty sure I will be insulted after this post and then they will close this discussion. After I looked at carcomplaints.com and noticed that they rated the 2017 and 2018 CRV as "Beware of the Clunker" I knew that there is a big problem. I am not sure I have ever witnessed a model get that award so quickly. I decided then that I would not buy a used CRV because of all the info I have gathered. Now my friends on this forum have been quick to say well the 2017 CRV had 259 complaints and the 2018 had 120 complaints no big deal they sold over 300,000 units. I would say you have a point but how many people actually take the time to share? I would guess the carcomplaints people have the method figured out and they are telling me to beware. Now I also see the the 2019 has pretty good numbers so far so if you want the CR-V i would buy the new unit. I ended up buying a new 19 Ford Escape SE. 1.5L turbo, remote start,Heated Seats, app start and climate control, Sirius, Apple play and $6500.00 cheaper than the CR-V LX with no options. I know you will pick on Ford but try to find anything bad about the 2017, 2018 or 2019 Escape. Sure it will depreciate like a dog but I got it for $8500 off sticker so who cares? I will drive it for 5 years and have free drive train warranty and roadside assistance the whole time. The 2017, 2018 and 2019 Escape have less than 60 total complaints. If you want Honda buy the 2019 buy a used one and you might be hung out to dry.

·
Registered
114 Posts
As a Master Auto Technician with over 44 years in the business, I have to say that although I don't own a CR-V, our immediate family does own 6 Honda Fits. In my career, I've found that Hondas since the early 2000s have really improved considerably. I remember the "old days" with the 3-barrel carburetors and miles of vacuum hoses under the hood. Gone are those days since fuel injection became standard fare for Honda. They're very reliable vehicles and I love the design & engineering of them which tend to make maintenance & serviceability easier. Granted my first Fit was a 2007 (gen 1) and we ended up with another (2008). I later learned that after a mere 2 years, Honda redesigned the Fit in 2009 (gen 2) which not only changed the design of the body/chassis but the engine as well such that replacing the thermostat was much easier (moved to the front of the vehicle) and replacing the radiator or any of the electric cooling fans did not require removing the front bumper. Other things like replacing the A/C evaporator core is a mere couple of hours at most since the entire dash assembly doesn't require removal unlike most other vehicles which incur 6 to 8 hours of labor alone (like Toyota from the early 2000's). It's things like this that show me that Honda is a forward thinking company not hell-bent on making money only, but delivering their customers a product that is dependable and relatively trouble-free. I've worked on all makes of vehicles (except exotics like Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc.) and prior to retiring in 2017, I don't recall ever seeing a Fit in our national chain repair shop for anything other than tires, batteries, oil changes and alignments. I'm a diagnostician working with computer systems, electronics and electrical on vehicles and never had a Fit to work on. For that matter, I can probably count on one hand the number of times I had a 2000 or later Honda that needed my expertise to fix it (except those that had driveability issues due to owner neglect of maintenance like having very badly worn spark plugs that caused ignition coils to fail, etc.

·
Banned
8 Posts
new crv does not carry spare-tire on cargo-door-exterior anymore.
i would look fiat-jeep->wrangler since fiat-jeep->wrangler has 2.0 liter engine now.
but wrangler use dependent-suspension(solid-axel).ride maybe tougher than crv-double-wishbone,but aerobic-exercise is good for heart-health.
solid-axel maybe is easier to maintain than front-struts,rear-double-wishbone.
i'm suspicious honda does not treat spare-tire-carrier engineer well then
spare-tire-carrier engineer quit working for honda then honda can not make
spare-tire-carrier anymore.[17 may 2019 6:2 pm edt]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts