Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, my first post here. Tomorrow I will be purchasing a silver, automatic 1998 CR-V LX, 4WD, from the second owner who owned it since 2001 (luckily they kept ALL service records!!). The first owner leased the car before then. It has roughly 176k miles on it. I'm very excited about this purchase, and I have a few questions.

Is $3,000 a reasonable price for this? It's difficult to refer to KBB in my area because the prices for similar model/condition jumps up and down all over the place.

Here are a few things I plan to do:
- Timing belt/water pump, and drive belts+tensioners (probably in the spring before she hits 180k)
- Valve adjustment, valve cover gasket, and plugs
- Tranny 3x drain and fill, P/S, Coolant, Motor oil, and rear diff fluids

Things I'm not sure whether when to replace:
- Brake fluid
- PCV valve
- Fuel filter
- Cap/rotors
- Plug wires
- Suspension bushings
- Struts
- Radiator/Thermostat

I know I'm probably asking too many questions, but any input is greatly appreciated! Although I wish I could find a 99-01 with a manual transmission, it is very hard to find a first gen that has good maintenance history like this one. I plan to keep her in good condition for many years to come.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Not sure where your located, but around here they can still go for around $4-5k with that kind of mileage!

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Congrats on finding a CR-V with complete service history intact.
If review of those records doesn't allow you to determine when all the things in your list(s) were done I'd say you'll have a great baseline set if you do everything on those lists.
If you've budgeted for all those things, I'd recommend you just do them so YOU know they were done. Takes some of the worry out of buying a used car that way.
Welcome to the club!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! I'm now a new proud owner. I will definitely be doing changing all the fluids, they don't look too clean to me. Here are a few shots of her.

Filthy engine bay! Will definitely clean it up soon.

I took a peak around this evening and discovered a few small leaks. I guess this is the thermostat housing, and the rubber seal is bad?? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Cam plug causing this one maybe??

Looks like this one is from the inner cv boot. Guess who will be replacing the half shaft? This guy.

Anddd one of the hoses from the P/S reservoir to the pump.

The car is also getting close to having 180k miles, so I will be doing what I can for the 90k service and leaving the rest for the dealership. Suspension is now making some clucking noises and I'm guessing it's either one of the bushings or the sway bar links. Once I get a chance to fix those (which is probably in the spring), I also plan to replace all 4 struts while I'm at it.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
That does look to be in very good condition!
Your leaks look like a valve cover gasket, then the cam plug, and my guess on the CV is the output shaft seal (not the CV itself) and then your power steering hose.
From the looks of things, I would budget for replacement of all of the hoses, upper/lower radiator, heater hoses and any throttle body coolant hoses. From the appearance I would guess they are original.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
That's a nice V you have there. Congratulations on the new purchase. Looks like its been taken cared. The pic on number 4 & 5 is definitely coming from the Camshaft end plug. The 6th pic looks like its coming from the oil seal from the transmission. Just to be sure check the CV boot if its torn. If not, its the oil seal. When replacing the thermostat, I would suggest to use the OEM one. I hope this helps. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know I'm probably asking too many questions, but any input is greatly appreciated! Although I wish I could find a 99-01 with a manual transmission.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'd say you did OK with this purchase. Five years ago I picked up a 98 EX with 230K miles for $3K. Mine's a Michigan car so it has more rust than yours. The people I bought it from put most of the miles on it and it was pretty well maintained, but I have some of the same issues you display. Overall, though, I'm pretty happy with my purchase. I figured if I got three years out of it, that would be good enough, but after almost five years it's still humming along. I've got 265K on it now and I still don't have to add oil between changes. I've had a couple of things that needed fixing including a starter and an ABS sensor, but after that many miles, I'm not complaining.

Hope it works well for you! I'm starting to look for a car for my daughter... Wanna' sell yours? ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts