Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! If this has been answered elsewhere, I apologize. My wife and I are looking to upgrade from our Honda Fit and a 2015 Honda CR-V EX-L with 108K miles on it has come into our local dealer.

Just wondering what types of issues, if any, anyone has seen on their CR-V or of there is anything I should be aware of (CVT transmission, AWD issues, etc.) with this high of a mileage.

This particular model year seems to have pretty good reviews on Edmunds, KBB, etc, but I don't want my excitement of getting into a bigger car cloud my judgement.

Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L FWD
360 Posts
Almost all modern vehicles easily exceed 100,000 miles.
With proper maintenance your Honda will easily exceed 200,000 miles.

Have the dealer catch up any missing services and then enjoy.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'm not trying to scare you or anything OP but from my past experiences with any car regardless of make and model, I will NEVER consider any 4 cylinder vehicle over 75K miles. I have two sayings that i refer back to quite often and they are " Anyone can lie about records" and "Anyone can polish a turd".

So lets go with the saying about the records, are there actual invoices kept that verifies such and such work is done? Was it ever in a wreck? If the previous owner paid out of pocket and didn't use insurance to do repairs, it doesn't get recorded anywhere for carfax to report back and unless you start gutting the car, you might never know that it was welded back together. You just don't know how the car was previously treated. Just because an old grandmother drove it doesn't mean that it was babied, for all we know she could have been some kind of road rage addict because not everyone''s grandma is some sweet old lady that bakes cookies and cakes while only driving to church on Sunday.

Polishing turds.... there are tons of tricks and stuff that car dealers will use to make a car look better than it actually is. You might think people may use tire shine on tires to make them appear nice and shiny but hitting it with a can of clear coat will do just the same and last longer on that parking lot. Like open the doors and look in the door jams, see if it's been repainted. silvers and reds paint are hard to match because of age and sun fade, if some doors and panels don't match in shade walk away. Look underneath and in the wheel wells for signs of undercoat to hide rust. Just be on the look out for anything that could have been done to hide something that isn't on the report if they hand your a carfax.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not trying to scare you or anything OP but from my past experiences with any car regardless of make and model, I will NEVER consider any 4 cylinder vehicle over 75K miles. I have two sayings that i refer back to quite often and they are " Anyone can lie about records" and "Anyone can polish a turd".

So lets go with the saying about the records, are there actual invoices kept that verifies such and such work is done? Was it ever in a wreck? If the previous owner paid out of pocket and didn't use insurance to do repairs, it doesn't get recorded anywhere for carfax to report back and unless you start gutting the car, you might never know that it was welded back together. You just don't know how the car was previously treated. Just because an old grandmother drove it doesn't mean that it was babied, for all we know she could have been some kind of road rage addict because not everyone''s grandma is some sweet old lady that bakes cookies and cakes while only driving to church on Sunday.

Polishing turds.... there are tons of tricks and stuff that car dealers will use to make a car look better than it actually is. You might think people may use tire shine on tires to make them appear nice and shiny but hitting it with a can of clear coat will do just the same and last longer on that parking lot. Like open the doors and look in the door jams, see if it's been repainted. silvers and reds paint are hard to match because of age and sun fade, if some doors and panels don't match in shade walk away. Look underneath and in the wheel wells for signs of undercoat to hide rust. Just be on the look out for anything that could have been done to hide something that isn't on the report if they hand your a carfax.
Thanks for this advice! I definitely need to give it a good look over. I had not thought about the rust underneath car either. It's not a normal color so hopefully I'll be able to spot some shoddy work if it's been done. Keeping all of this in mind tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L
137 Posts
Sounds like it would be a very nice vehicle, easy to understand your enthusiasm and excitement.

I'd suggest you want to be sure to document everything, even going so far as to take pictures of various angles / portions of the car (to document what it looked like when you bought it.

If a sales person tells you such and such about it, ask to have it in writing. If it turns out they were 'just trying to sell you something', you'll have a written record they can't deny later.

Also, be sure to get a copy of the dealerships repair document. Usually they just indicate 'checked air pressure' and maybe 'changed cabin filter' etc. But not always, they sometimes make significant repairs that will eventually be on the carfax but aren't on it yet (as they just did the repair). I've had this happen, and paid a high price for it too.

Basically do the CYA. Be prepared to take it to small claims court, if you have to. Dealerships used to be pretty decent, imho. You would pay more but they'd stand behind any issues. Not so much anymore. Now it seems they'll screw you if they can get away with it. People don't complain so they do it, and they have more customers than they can handle anyway.

Cheers and good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I will give you one data point.
I bought my 2009 CR-V LX used in 2014 when it had 113k miles on it. The car had been in a wreck (rear ended by someone) but it was all fixed and the owner had records to show it. I have been using it for 5 years and it now has ~160k miles.. Other than the usual wear and tear (oil, tires etc), the biggest expenses so far have been:
1. A CEL showed up and the purge solenoid valve had to be changed (Cost ~$200)
2. Rear struts had to be changed recently (cost ~$600)

Other than that absolutely NO issues.. Love the V and I think I will keep it for 200k+ miles.

I would suggest getting it checked by a good known mechanic. He can check for any leaks, previous wreckage etc (eg: leakage in the struts means they need to be replaced - that's how I found out)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello! If this has been answered elsewhere, I apologize. My wife and I are looking to upgrade from our Honda Fit and a 2015 Honda CR-V EX-L with 108K miles on it has come into our local dealer.

Just wondering what types of issues, if any, anyone has seen on their CR-V or of there is anything I should be aware of (CVT transmission, AWD issues, etc.) with this high of a mileage.

This particular model year seems to have pretty good reviews on Edmunds, KBB, etc, but I don't want my excitement of getting into a bigger car cloud my judgement.

Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Please don't take the "just came in" bait. It's an invitation for you to infer 1.) they have no reason to believe there's anything wrong with the vehicle. And, 2) you'll have to act fast to buy this peach. Beware.

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX
48 Posts
Honda should have records if it was serviced at a Honda dealer. If so, make sure the transmission fluid was changed at least once. If they fail to produce any dealer service history, in your negotiation for purchase price, see if you can persuade them to provide at least a thirty (30) day repair warranty in WRITING covering engine and power train.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If I recall it correctly, I've seen topics about 2015 and 2016 CRVs models complaining that they have some vibration issue. Unfortunately I cannot verify this since I have no own experience in 2015 model.
This is more or less, just to let you know what I've heard.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I forgot the years, but some of them had a weird transmission solenoid that causes issues with shifting, not just CRV, but a lot of Honda's. Google that and see if its fixed in the 2015.

·
Registered
31 Posts
.2015 was the first year for CVT, which is why I bought a used 2014 in 2017. Mine is AWD with a 5 speed automatic trans and only had 24000 miles on it. This engine is a 185 HP four cylinder and will pretty much last almost forever. One nice thing about it; no timing belt to replace. That saves you upwards of a thousand dollars. Like many Hondas there is slight driveline whine under light load that I did not have with my Ridgeline, and my 2010 Accord EXL-V6 has it as well. The CRV has great front seats and good back seat leg space. It is very versatile. I understand that the AWD has a slightly different suspension than the FWD. I've read this somewhere. It has gas filled struts/shocks not oil filled and the are quicker to respond and feel more supple over small irregularities and yet stout over substantial bumps. The car tracks very will and for an suv, has good handling.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts