Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks

I'm looking to get into my first CRV and was wondering if there are any buying guides (PROs and CONs of different generations compared to each other) on this platform you could direct me to?

In my part of the world, the Gen1,2 and 3 are very close in price - the late model Gen 2 often being sold in line with Gen 3 prices, which makes me wonder, are Gen 1 and 2 more offroad utility based and Gen 3 more comfort orientated or are they all equally capable? Put maybe another way, why would one go for a Gen 2 if you can get a Gen 3 for the same price?

Many thanks.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,201 Posts
Newer generations will have more features and equipment. They MAY have extra issues as a result.

I'd suggest looking for a car with a documented service history (NOT just oil changes). Any 'flags' can be looked up here, or via Google. (Use the ADVANCED SEARCH accessed by clicking on the 3 dot menu in the upper right corner, then ADVANCED SEARCH.)

·
Registered
804 Posts
Gen. 2 on have a timing chain rather than a timing belt (timing belts MUST be chained at 100K +/-).

Like Carbuff2 mentioned: get a documented service history

I think the Gen 2's had an issue with the A/C compressor (black death?). We had a 2004 and sold it at 110,000 with NO issues.

Best to you!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I really like the simplicity of the Gen 2 - and yes, the bit of research I've done, the A/C compressor is the only real stand out. Is it as bad as they say that it can cause a catastrophic engine failure? Is there any way to mitigate it, failing replacing the entire AC system?

·
Everything in Moderation
8,201 Posts
The A/C issue does not cause engine failure.

What happens is, it loads the entire A/C system with 'shrapnel' when the compressor 'explodes'. Under warranty, Honda in the US replaced the entire system (evaporator, compressor, condenser). After warranty, you don't know if a thorough job was performed. If contaminants remained, future issues would occur.

If you can find a low mileage Gen2 (2002 - midyear 2004) that has the original compressor, just the compressor can be changed out to a new one. 2005 - 2006 Vs would be 'safe'.

This issue didn't happen to every car...

Gen 3 A/C systems had issues with compressor clutches. They would wear, then not engage (or would only work for 30 minutes).

·
Registered
600 Posts
Gen1 and Gen2 are very capable offroad. A guy I know (often meet at my friend's house) is a forester and covers extreme miles in his Gen2 on forest trails.

Gen3 is good for camping, nothing more than that. Ground clearance of a passenger car and rather restrictive AWD system compared to earlier models.

The price levels are self explanatory for your country as you probably have more unpaved roads and more extreme conditions which Gen2 can do better.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looking forward to your new ride.
Thanks, me too :)

Went for my first Gen 2 test drive yesterday. Like the car - just that specific one wasn't well looked after - the search continues.

As a side question, I see many are automatic. How do we feel about Honda automatics of that era and reliability? I know many people are skeptical of the CVTs in Hondas... what type do the Gen 2/3 use? Is it a 'manual' automatic like Toyota has used or CVT across the range?

Thanks.

·
Registered
600 Posts
CVT was introduced mid-Gen4. All previous are regular automatics. Last well if maintained in time with OEM fluid. In 2007/2008 there was a bad batch of torque converters and I scored one in both my Hondas back then.

·
2,272 Posts
IMO the Gen 2.5 is the sweet spot (2005-2006), with manual transmission. I searched for over a year but was unable to find one, and ended up with an '07. It's been fine so far.

·
Registered
600 Posts
IMO the Gen 2.5 is the sweet spot (2005-2006), with manual transmission. I searched for over a year but was unable to find one, and ended up with an '07. It's been fine so far.
Plenty still available here. All diesels. Gasoline models are all automatic.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to everyone for their help. After much searching I found the right car for me. Gen 2.5, full spec (sunroof, cruise control awd etc) 190 000km and top condition. Just needs new tyres. Heres to hoping for years of trouble free motoring :) Thanks again.

·
2,272 Posts
Wow! That is a great find! Super clean and fully loaded. Be sure to keep us posted on your adventures with it.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Ground clearance of a passenger car and rather restrictive AWD system compared to earlier models.
??

Official ground clearances, of those I own:
First gen CR-V: 8.1 inches.
Third gen: 7.3 inches.
7th gen Civic: 4.4 inches.

Nothing "car-like" about the third-gen's ground clearance.

AWD system is the same in third gen vs. first gen, same dual-pump system. It adds traction control--hardly "restrictive" since it is much safer. Or it can be turned off.

·
Registered
600 Posts
??

Official ground clearances, of those I own:
First gen CR-V: 8.1 inches.
Third gen: 7.3 inches.
7th gen Civic: 4.4 inches.

Nothing "car-like" about the third-gen's ground clearance.

AWD system is the same in third gen vs. first gen, same dual-pump system. It adds traction control--hardly "restrictive" since it is much safer. Or it can be turned off.
no. just no.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts